Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Stat Question

vCash

Stat Question

Stat Guys,

Is there any stat that measures the 'quality' of the hit?

For example, I know that the end result of a line drive single and a squib single off the end of the bat is the same, but in reality, it doesn't measure the quality of that hitters contact.

Or, another example, a guy lines out a bullet to third or another guy pops up to the pitcher. Same result but obviously one was better contact.

Does anything measure that sort of stuff?

Thx,

Leo
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    You can check a players batted ball rates. It tracks line drives, fly balls, infield pop-ups, and ground balls.

The player who hit that line drive would have it counted to his LD% while the other player who hit the pop up would have it added to his IFFB%.

Players with high LD% are making better contact than players with high IFFB%.
    Last edited by Yankees 1903; 06-15-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Stat Guys,

For example, I know that the end result of a line drive single and a squib single off the end of the bat is the same, but in reality, it doesn't measure the quality of that hitters contact.

Or, another example, a guy lines out a bullet to third or another guy pops up to the pitcher. Same result but obviously one was better contact.

Thx,

Leo
    The easiest is/are line drive, ground ball, fly ball and infield fly designations at FanGraphs.

There's also a thing known as "hard hit ball data" but I'm not sure where it's available. I've tried, and am trying now, to find it.
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    @msimonespn

Has tweeted a lot of charts and graphs using hard hit ball data
    Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    The easiest is/are line drive, ground ball, fly ball and infield fly designations at FanGraphs.
    For example, for the 2014 Yankees
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=4,d

Jacoby Ellsbury has the highest line drive percentage (29%). That's well about the league average of about 20%
    He also has a very good BABIP of .339. This makes sense since he's hitting a lot of line drives.

Derek Jeter is hitting 61% of hits on the ground. It's hard to hit for power when you're not getting the ball in the air.

Carlos Beltran has the most infield flies (18%). This helps explain his low BABIP as is hard to get hits when you're popping up 1 out of every 5 balls you make contact with.

The data is also available for pitchers
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ers=0&sort=6,d

vCash
    Stat Guys,

Thx,

Leo
    Some teams use a, 'bat impressions scanner'. They pass a digital wand up and down the bat and it measures the depth of the impressions in the wood. That calculates into a stat called the, 'I.D.S" (Impressions Depth Score)

The deeper the impressions, the harder the ball has been hit. An I.D.S. of 70% or more means the player is hitting the ball often and hard.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    I think the eye test is the best way to judge how a batter hits a particular ball....<g>
    Nick

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post

There's also a thing known as "hard hit ball data" but I'm not sure where it's available. I've tried, and am trying now, to find it.
    I am leading the world in hard hit balls after this week but not in a good way, in the way that it is my balls being hit.

This is cool stuff guys. It makes it easier to understand stats when they are in small doses.

Great question Leo!
    I still think that CCIS is the best stat there is. But the ones referred to may be easier to use.

vCash
    There's a stat called wHAV that @msimonespn uses.

http://waswatching.com/2013/07/29/wh...-so-down-with/

http://waswatching.com/wp-content/up...13/07/WHAV.jpg

It measures the percentage of ABs that end up in hard hit ball for various players. The obvious correlation being that the players with the highest % of hard hit balls also tend to have the better offensive stats.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.

vCash
    Thank you everyone!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Thank you everyone!
    You're welcome
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD
    injured.....again