Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reminiscing of Hockey of Yester-Year

I was watching NHL Network this afternoon between classes and I noticed that during the 90's, their were a lot of players getting 100 points or 50 goals and some of those guys were guys like Roberts, Neely, and Verbeek, guys that could score and still got a ton of PiMs and lay guys out.

Nowadays, guys like Kovalchuk and Heatley are great scorers but are afraid of getting dirty. Those type of players are a dime a dozen while complete players like Iginla are extremely rare. I guess you could put Ovie in there too. Where did that style go.

Who else wants to see smash-mouth guys like Neely and Shannahan instead of finese guys like Crosby and Zetterberg.

I WANT OLD-TIME HOCKEY IN THE MODERN AGE.

I'd love to see Crosbaby toughen up. Datsyuk is a better example of finesse player than Zetterberg but I know what you mean. If it meant taking these skill guys out of the game then no, post-lockout hockey has been much more entertaining. But if we could keep them and add more toughness then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
    I'd love to see Crosbaby toughen up. Datsyuk is a better example of finesse player than Zetterberg but I know what you mean. If it meant taking these skill guys out of the game then no, post-lockout hockey has been much more entertaining. But if we could keep them and add more toughness then yes.
    NO NO NO NO NO. I think you misuderstood me. I don't want to take any of the finese players out bc they put on good shows when they have the puck. I just want to see more guys step up and be willing to put a hit on someone but can still put up good numbers.

I want more of a combo player. It just seems to me that there are too many one-sided offensive players in the league. I want a guy who can score with a shot from 20 feet out or when he's in the crease digging for a rebound. Then come on the ice and lay someone out.
    Last edited by Brawler47; 09-14-2009 at 10:02 PM.

I want more of a combo player. It just seems to me that there are too many one-sided offensive players in the league. I want a guy who can score with a shot from 20 feet out or when he's in the crease digging for a rebound. Then come on the ice and lay someone out.
    I completely agree with that. I'm guessing you're not a big fan of Ilya Kovalchuk?

Seeing that im a Bolts fan and he not only plays on a division rival, he's also a big pu$$y... You could say I don't like him.

That's just what I thought.

Lucic
    Clarkson
    Iginla
    Getzlaf
    Thorton
    Perry
    Morrow
    Kesler
    Richards

I think those types of players are still out there, Big, skilled players who play with an edge. No dis-respect to the 80's generation, but alot of those tough players weren't skilled enough to play in todays N.H.L. That being said I do miss those John Leclair/Gary Roberts/Dino Ciccerelli type players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Lucic
    Clarkson
    Iginla
    Getzlaf
    Thorton
    Perry
    Morrow
    Kesler
    Richards

I think those types of players are still out there, Big, skilled players who play with an edge. No dis-respect to the 80's generation, but alot of those tough players weren't skilled enough to play in todays N.H.L. That being said I do miss those John Leclair/Gary Roberts/Dino Ciccerelli type players.
    Lucic has the potential to be a good producer but 40 points isn't close to numbers im talking about.Kesler is in the same boat as Lucic, potential but not there yet. Clarkson... You're joking right. I don't see him breaking 50 points in his career. Especially now that Lemaire and the trap are back in NJ.

IMO Perry has a big mouth but never backs it up, more of a pest but I do like his style when he can keep his mouth shut. Morrow never really put up the numbers that im talking about either. His best year was 07-08 when he got 74and other than 2 years (65 in 05-06) he never broke 50 points. That injury really set him back last year. Not saying he won't work for his points, I just think he should have more.

I'm talking about a special type of player that is dangerous whenever he is on the ice bc not only is he a physical presence but he is also a scoring threat when he has the puck.

Your Revised List:
    Iginla
    Getzlaf
    Thornton
    Richards
    Morrow (would have had a good year last year if not for the injury)
    Perry (I like the way he plays but he really pisses me off sometimes.)

You're list had 1 guy I kinda forgot about (Thornton) but the rest are exactly the kind of player that I want to see more of. I am saddened that the players who play the style I like most can be counted on 1 hand and a thumb.:cry:

Flyers used to have some of these type of players like Lindros, LeClair, and Brind A'mour. I enjoy watching them, but the league wouldn't be as fun to watch if it weren't for Malkin's, Ovechkin's, and Datsyuk's.
    Thanks Lgnd!

Crosby and Zetterberg have had great battles in the last two Stanley Cup Finals :P

Not to mention Zetterberg has outplayed Crosby but we won't go there :P

Quote Originally Posted by phillyphan4ever View Post
    Flyers used to have some of these type of players like Lindros, LeClair, and Brind A'mour. I enjoy watching them, but the league wouldn't be as fun to watch if it weren't for Malkin's, Ovechkin's, and Datsyuk's.
    I agree and I also like to watch them. I just what to see more guys like Getzlaf and Iginla in the league.

[QUOTE=Brawler47;10835060]Lucic has the potential to be a good producer but 40 points isn't close to numbers im talking about.Kesler is in the same boat as Lucic, potential but not there yet. Clarkson... You're joking right. I don't see him breaking 50 points in his career. Especially now that Lemaire and the trap are back in NJ.

I know what your thinking with Clarkson, that he doesn't belong on that list. At first glance you're right, but he led the league in my favourite stat.

Fights plus goals, (a player must have over 10 scraps and 10 goals to qualify)

Clarkson scored 17 goals, and was in 20 fights with a total of 37. It's kind of a cool way to see what players mix skill and toughness. I believe Lucic was 2nd with 10 scraps and 17 goals for a total 27.
    Mind you, those totals are no where near Neely in 86-87. He had 36 goals and 13 scraps for a total of 49. That guy was a beast.

I understand what your saying. But I grew up watching the Penguins and their stars were Francis, Barrasso, Jagr, Larry Murphy and Lemieux, none of whom were big fighters But we did have Kevin Stevens and RickTocchet and they were great to watch. I know Phil Bourque and Kevin Stevens were huge coke heads (stevens even admitted it when he came back to play for pitt to end his career), so maybe not being all ****ed up on coke has something to do with it?

But you make a good point, there are very few players like Mike Richards or Iginla playing in this game...I might rather have a malkin type player, he isnt going to fight, but he is going to beat the hell out of you on the scoreboard...

Quote Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
    Datsyuk hits more than Zetterberg, I think thats where he was coming from.

I'll take Zetterberg over Datsyuk in a fight anyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast