Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sony Doomed?

vCash

Is Sony Doomed?

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...her-bad-year-0

Sony is projecting a 1.3 billion dollar loss for the last fiscal year. That will make it 4 out of the last 5 years that they have posted a loss. They sold all their computer companies, are struggling to get a hold in the 4k tv market, and their sales of Blu rays and dvds are declining as more people go digital. To make it worse, Moody has downgraded Sony's credit to Ba1. Is this a company destined for failure at this point, or do you think it can still be saved?

vCash
    For a doomed company they sure seem to be forcing Microsoft's hand a lot this past year.

vCash
    Fast answer, no. At the very least they have billions in physical assets to sustain themselves for another decade.

Another option is if they are smart they can sell off unprofitable divisions and re-focus on what actually makes them money. They'd exit out of being a tech giant and downsize as a company significantly.

A gigantic company like that, unless grossly mismanaged for decades, should never just flat out tank. Simply downsizing would fix a bunch of their problems but that requires people to put aside their egos which is usually a losing battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chicagocubsfan View Post
    For a doomed company they sure seem to be forcing Microsoft's hand a lot this past year.
    This isn't a question between Xbox and ps4. Overall Microsoft is in a much better position than Sony right now.... Microsoft is a profitable company.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-800-STFU View Post
    Fast answer, no. At the very least they have billions in physical assets to sustain themselves for another decade.

Another option is if they are smart they can sell off unprofitable divisions and re-focus on what actually makes them money. They'd exit out of being a tech giant and downsize as a company significantly.

A gigantic company like that, unless grossly mismanaged for decades, should never just flat out tank. Simply downsizing would fix a bunch of their problems but that requires people to put aside their egos which is usually a losing battle.
    I agree. The only problem I see is that their historically profitable divisions, are no longer profitable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I agree. The only problem I see is that their historically profitable divisions, are no longer profitable.
    The thing is, the money you acquire from downsizing can be used to invest in the profitable(or formally profitable) parts of the corporation to bolster those strengths.

vCash

Is Sony Doomed?

We should be asking if Nintendo is doomed! It's not looking good for them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Militia View Post
    We should be asking if Nintendo is doomed! It's not looking good for them
    Even more so as they have NO diversification...

Risky as hell.

vCash
    Who owns Atari? Is it still a company?

vCash
    Except this isn't solely about video games. These are massive corporations involved in several different industries and markets. Overall, Microsoft is obviously in far better shape than Sony is. Sony will have to pare down their business and refocus on what they can still make money in.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    We can argue consoles all day but there is no argument in the Microsoft vs Sony debate. Microsoft is twice the company Sony wishes it could be

vCash
    I just don't see where Sony goes from here. All of their markets are drying up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I just don't see where Sony goes from here. All of their markets are drying up.
    They have done quite well in the mobile division lately. They make one of the best android phones on the market. They are also trying to pioneer 4K with TV's. If they become mainstream and take off like HD does they will make a good amount of money. Like STFU said, Sony will be fine if they don't **** up majorly. And Kaz Hirai has been doing much better as the CEO.

vCash
    They have done quite well in the mobile division lately. They make one of the best android phones on the market. They are also trying to pioneer 4K with TV's. If they become mainstream and take off like HD does they will make a good amount of money. Like STFU said, Sony will be fine if they don't **** up majorly. And Kaz Hirai has been doing much better as the CEO.
    4k tv's are awesome, but Samsung kills at that. There will also be other competition. I don't know much about their mobile division, but I don't think they could survive off tv's alone.

vCash
    Sony overall is pretty ******, but IMO I think they'll eventually break into Sony Playstation, Sony Mobile, Sony Vaio, etc. And I like Kaz, but as far as I can tell the only thing he's doing differently is he's selling off assets to try and look profitable. I'm not exactly sure what all he's in charge of overall, so maybe he's doing better than I can see, but from where I'm sitting Sony is still tanking all around aside from a couple divisions.

I know we like to think of this forum as the Xbox vs Sony forums, but in all actuality this is an overall tech forum, so we need to view Sony as a full company (****** tvs and laptops included) rather than just a video game forum.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast