Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell today announced that graduation rates for the 2006-07 school year are now posted on DataQuest through the California Department of Education's Web site.

The state-level "ninth grade to graduate rate" is 67.6 percent, up from the previous year's rate of 67.1 percent.
    http://www.cde.ca.gov/nr/ne/yr08/yr08rel103.asp

vCash
    It's not 50% of kids that don't graduate, but it is 33%. It's 50% in places like Houston.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    If something isn't done to curb the deficit -- meaning either decreasing spending (like the war) or increasing revenues (i.e. reversing the Bush tax cuts) -- we're not going to be able to be a "nation of spenders." Look at what's happened to the dollar over the last seven and a half years. Look at the insane inflation rates. Look at how useless monetary policy has become. Republican economic policy has devastated us and put us in a position where we really have no choice but to completely reverse our actions.
    If we where to simply cut the rate that entitlements grow we could easily balance the budget. I'm not saying cut them but simply cut the rate that they are expanding. I wish we could institute some sort of term limits for congress maybe to two terms. That way the amount of pork would be greatly reduced. Congressmen would stop trying to buy votes with pet projects in their states. Just doing those two things would put us right back into the black. But your ignoring the fact that reducing the tax cuts would hurt everyone and not just the rich. Because they will make sure it is passed down into less people being employed. It is the same concept of raising the minimum wage you hurt the people doing that job because the amount of money in the payroll is not unlimited. But that is a different topic all together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsGirl View Post
    Just beat me to it, lol.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    More than 40% of the LAUSD's black students will not complete high school, and 35.4% of the Latinos will drop out. (Currently, 73% of LAUSD's nearly 700,000 students are Latino; 11% are African American; 9% are white; and 4% are Asian.)

ok.. maybe i got mixed up when i heard the stat (i can admit mistakes)... i think it was Los Angeles schools i was thinking of

More than 40% of the LAUSD's black students will not complete high school, and 35.4% of the Latinos will drop out. (Currently, 73% of LAUSD's nearly 700,000 students are Latino; 11% are African American; 9% are white; and 4% are Asian.)

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...6764053.column

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Sure, I'd like to be wealthy. And if I was, I certainly wouldn't mind paying more in taxes.

Oh, and I love it when people decide to compare soon-to-be democratically elected Barack Obama, and his plans, to communist dictatorships that exist/ed in China and Russia ... as though there's an actual base for comparison. Because Obama himself is going to take control of the military and march them into middle America and centralize all industry. It's so clever!
    I do recall you said you have a degree in history? They still exist. Russia never became a democracy. China, gimmie a break, we all know their red. I also seem to remember that just the other night Obama was praising China for it's powerful infrastructure? Has this guy lost his mind? You as a liberal should understand this is just madness. He must of had too much kool-aid. Oh yeah, Obama will not be elected either so i'm not realyl worried about him going into the heartland and centralizing industry...

vCash
    [QUOTE=RogerRomo;6419725]I do recall you said you have a degree in history? They still exist. Russia never became a democracy. China, gimmie a break, we all know their red. I also seem to remember that just the other night Obama was praising China for it's powerful infrastructure? Has this guy lost his mind? You as a liberal should understand this is just madness. He must of had too much kool-aid. Oh yeah, Obama will not be elected either so i'm not realyl worried about him going into the heartland and centralizing industry...[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe that? I sure don't. I think he could very well be elected and become a one term president. I believe this country is still a majority conservative and will have a correction once Obama finishes his first term. Then maybe we will actually see a true conservative run for office.

vCash
    well here's something mccain should use...http://www.nationaljournal.com/voteratings/sen/lib.htm

the most liberal ticket in presidential history probably. For those of you who have a good job, i would watch out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRomo View Post
    I do recall you said you have a degree in history? They still exist. Russia never became a democracy. China, gimmie a break, we all know their red. I also seem to remember that just the other night Obama was praising China for it's powerful infrastructure? Has this guy lost his mind? You as a liberal should understand this is just madness. He must of had too much kool-aid. Oh yeah, Obama will not be elected either so i'm not realyl worried about him going into the heartland and centralizing industry...
    Russia democratized. They're just an illiberal democracy ... technically a semi federal presidential republic. They just don't really have free and open elections.

As far as China goes; they're not entirely communist anymore either. They've made capitalistic movements the past few years to the point that they've made a bit of a hybrid system.

But, the United States will never be like China or Soviet (or modern) Russia. We could have uhc up the ying yang, and that still wouldn't make us a communist nation, nor a dictatorship.

Oh, and Obama will most certainly be elected. I think you're giving McCain a bit too much credit. But, I like the way you slipped that "Obama praised Chinese infrastructure" bit. But, lets expand that a bit. He was talking about what China had done for their infrastructure (ports, trains, airports) in regard to the Olympics. They have absolutely modernized these things to bring them in-line with the 21st Century. And, once they get a handle on them, it's going to make it much easier for them to do business with the rest of the world. But, way to skew it to show just how "red" Obama is.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Russia democratized. They're just an illiberal democracy ... technically a semi federal presidential republic. They just don't really have free and open elections.

As far as China goes; they're not entirely communist anymore either. They've made capitalistic movements the past few years to the point that they've made a bit of a hybrid system.

But, the United States will never be like China or Soviet (or modern) Russia. We could have uhc up the ying yang, and that still wouldn't make us a communist nation, nor a dictatorship.

Oh, and Obama will most certainly be elected. I think you're giving McCain a bit too much credit. But, I like the way you slipped that "Obama praised Chinese infrastructure" bit. But, lets expand that a bit. He was talking about what China had done for their infrastructure (ports, trains, airports) in regard to the Olympics. They have absolutely modernized these things to bring them in-line with the 21st Century. And, once they get a handle on them, it's going to make it much easier for them to do business with the rest of the world. But, way to skew it to show just how "red" Obama is.
    It is still Putin in charge. Their election was a sham. Obama is as red as they come. Look at his voting record... http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400629

He can't even stand up to the Clinton's, how can he stand up to a real world threat? Must in-experianced dog and pony show in U.S. history.

Speaking of shows, that is exactly what china did with the olympics. How did they even get them in the first place? Corruption. That country has so many skeletons, in the closet and on the street...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRomo View Post
    It is still Putin in charge. Their election was a sham. Obama is as red as they come. Look at his voting record... http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400629
    What kind of cohesive statement is that? Putin's bad and Obama's a commie? There's no coorelation there. Look, I'm not going to change your mind. And, I'm beginning to think that you're slightly off.

Obama is not a communist. But, Putin is bad. The two aren't linked.

He can't even stand up to the Clinton's, how can he stand up to a real world threat? Must in-experianced dog and pony show in U.S. history.
    You don't step on the Clinton's. That's simple. They're like Democratic royalty. In order to win this election -- which Obama will do -- he needs the help of the Clintons.

Speaking of shows, that is exactly what china did with the olympics. How did they even get them in the first place? Corruption. That country has so many skeletons, in the closet and on the street...
    Did anybody say that China was a super wonderful happy butterfly nation? Not me, not Obama, not anybody I've seen. Well, except chinese super wonderful happy butterflies, but they're biased.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsGirl View Post
    Can you show me where you're getting these numbers, and the numbers regarding the California tax bracket from? I'm very curious.
    I bet it rhymes with his "class"
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    If we where to simply cut the rate that entitlements grow we could easily balance the budget. I'm not saying cut them but simply cut the rate that they are expanding. I wish we could institute some sort of term limits for congress maybe to two terms. That way the amount of pork would be greatly reduced. Congressmen would stop trying to buy votes with pet projects in their states. Just doing those two things would put us right back into the black. But your ignoring the fact that reducing the tax cuts would hurt everyone and not just the rich. Because they will make sure it is passed down into less people being employed. It is the same concept of raising the minimum wage you hurt the people doing that job because the amount of money in the payroll is not unlimited. But that is a different topic all together.
    Discretionary spending has reached a point where it dwarfs net entitlement spending. Even if you cut back on the excess to bring net entitlement spending to zero (i.e. dumping Medicare D), you're still not going to have a balanced budget. And bear in mind that you need more than a balanced budget to erase longterm debt.

As for your flawed Reaganomics theories, trickle down doesn't work. It was pretty much disproven twice now. And minimum wages can actually increase employment because it increases consumer buying power, which then translates to more goods purchased, more cash in the pipeline, and thus more jobs.

EDIT: Missed the pork comment. I agree wholeheartedly on that one. Unfortunately we have one candidate who doesn't seem to care that much about it (Obama) and one who is pretending that he does ever since he got caught up in a pork-driven scandal (McCain).
    Last edited by ari1013; 08-27-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123