Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Calculating WAR

vCash
    Marginal win value above replacement level. It can be used to derive monetary value based on the market.

vCash
    ALright i understand the rewarding win shares for a position like a catcher, but why punish a position and minus win shares (or whatever) for a guy playing 1B
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    oh and what do you do with a gut like youkilis who plays 3rd and 1st a lot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    ALright i understand the rewarding win shares for a position like a catcher, but why punish a position and minus win shares (or whatever) for a guy playing 1B
    Because there are a ton of good first basemen out there. You're just adjusting for position. We all know a second baseman of shortstop who hits .300/.400/.500 is more valuable than a first baseman or left fielder who puts up the same line (assuming their defense isn't abysmal).

vCash
    1B is a very easy position to replace simply because it's not that hard, and many can play it. Thus, playing well at the position is easier than playing well at catcher, so you need to adjust it so that two players with similar defensive and offensive value at the position aren't the same.

vCash
    You're not punishing anyone for it. You're just quantifying the positional differences....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    1B is a very easy position to replace simply because it's not that hard, and many can play it. Thus, playing well at the position is easier than playing well at catcher, so you need to adjust it so that two players with similar defensive and offensive value at the position aren't the same.
    not i get that I just didn't understand why use negatives.. but whatever.

What about guys that change positions a lot like youkilis do you split the difference.

Cause obviously a player is more valueable to a team if he can play 2 or more positions well, just wondering if there was a way to do that?

vCash
    Just figure out his WAR in each given position, and then add it together.

vCash
    o k thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123