Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Censorship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security - ben franklin

you can see how that would pertain to censorship...

so in your statements of how stopping neo-nazis from talking doesnt hurt anyone...

but what about if i speak against illegal aliens here in los angeles?

in fact 2 off duty police officers did that just a few days ago and...

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_10282911

what the story doesnt tell you is that the event was in spanish and when people asked them to speak english the organizers got mad and said they cant or they would be there all night

so here you have people saying that police license checkpoint are racist because it targets illegal aliens that dont have licenses.. what?!?!??!?!

they would arrest normal citizens if they didnt have a license also, so hows this racist?

you have 2 police officers CHASED out of a community event... being yelled at in SPANISH... in AMERICA

in your view if i wanted to rally against the illegal immigration policy in los angeles, i could be arrested for being intolerant?

would my displeasure with the locals, mayor and policies be categorized as incitement of hatred, discrimination or hate speech and therefor illegal?

or even their protest of the police checkpoints (as stupid as they are) wouldnt they be shut down as maybe inciting hate towards the police?

where is the line?
    Sir, we have been invaded and it sickens me to death. It's time to kick these free loaders out. Better yet, why don't we invade Mexico? I hear the weather is nicer anyway. They call me a racist. Look in the past, my mother and father came over from Ireland. They learned the language, became citizens and built up a good life for my sister and I. The mexicans and any other illegal, could do the same thing. There are HUNDREDS of ways to become legal. 85% of Americans think English should be the official language. Go ahead, call me racist, I dare you. My wife is black.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRomo View Post
    Sir, we have been invaded and it sickens me to death. It's time to kick these free loaders out. Better yet, why don't we invade Mexico? I hear the weather is nicer anyway. They call me a racist. Look in the past, my mother and father came over from Ireland. They learned the language, became citizens and built up a good life for my sister and I. The mexicans and any other illegal, could do the same thing. There are HUNDREDS of ways to become legal. 85% of Americans think English should be the official language. Go ahead, call me racist, I dare you. My wife is black.
    The only thing I would call it is OFF TOPIC. You have a right to your opinions, but this belongs in a separate thread.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    hell im totally against illegal immigration.. but my wife was one 2 years ago lol

go figure..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    You think there isn't racism or anti-semitism in the USA?

In our own democratic system, that is exactly the kind of thing parliament should be engaged against. I firmly believe it's the responsibility of elected representatives to deal with hate. It's also the responsibility of the legal system. I see no problem whatsoever with that.

And I didn't have to go "all the way to Germany" to find neo-nazis. I don't live in my country like an island free of the rest of the world's ills. If issues like anti-semitism and racism have existed in the world, they exist literally and figuratively at home too. Both of our countries are founded on immigration. Both of our countries have citizens who have suffered through these issues. There is nothing wrong with protecting citizens from serious issues like hate. If that hate is posted on the web, it deserves to be treated the same way it would be treated if it was in print or face to face, in public.
    What's even worse is the way we try and make up for Racism through Affirmative action.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    wow... the censorship on THIS site is silly... if someone has a genuine concern over a candidates personal life, he gets bombarded as spewing propaganda and lies.. even if all he is doing is quoting the candidates own family

I think the story of Obamas brother is relevant to Obamas character and Cubschick decided that it didnt suit what she wanted to see so she locked it..

I would just leave the site so you liberals can just sit around and agree with each other and pretend that Bush gave you that bad home loan and now your homeless and its his fault.

but i wont...

you want to close a thread based on a real news article about your candidate?

shows me exactly the type of personality that wants the fairness doctrine back...

grow up and have a backbone... dont just close the thread cause i showed you FACTS about your candidates character as he quotes Jesus and pretending to care "for the least among us" when he ignores his own

this is a election forum... what i posted was relevant to the candidates character IN MY OPINION. if you don't want opinions then relabel this forum the Liberal election forum...

this is why censorship is bad.. it gives the ability to silence opinions that don't agree with those in power (mods)

vCash
    wow... the censorship on THIS site is silly... if someone has a genuine concern over a candidates personal life, he gets bombarded as spewing propaganda and lies.. even if all he is doing is quoting the candidates own family

I think the story of Obamas brother is relevant to Obamas character and Cubschick decided that it didnt suit what she wanted to see so she locked it..

I would just leave the site so you liberals can just sit around and agree with each other and pretend that Bush gave you that bad home loan and now your homeless and its his fault.

but i wont...

you want to close a thread based on a real news article about your candidate?

shows me exactly the type of personality that wants the fairness doctrine back...

grow up and have a backbone... dont just close the thread cause i showed you FACTS about your candidates character as he quotes Jesus and pretending to care "for the least among us" when he ignores his own

this is a election forum... what i posted was relevant to the candidates character IN MY OPINION. if you don't want opinions then relabel this forum the Liberal election forum...

this is why censorship is bad.. it gives the ability to silence opinions that don't agree with those in power (mods)
    Seems the personal threads about candidates were closed on both sides - anti-Obama and anti-McCain. Maybe it's just that the personal stuff just turns into mudslinging and the forum has already had enough of that. Besides, there were 26 posts in that thread. You voiced your opinion and it's still there for all to see. If it were censorship, the thread would be gone. The only time that happens on this site is with spam, threads that are obscene flames, and weird posts that no one can figure out.
    Last edited by ink; 08-26-2008 at 03:51 PM.

vCash
    well the other one was just a attack on my post.. my was a legitimate concern and now other people who might share that concern "gcoll" and others will not have a option to voice what they think about it.

it was in my opinion a concern based on news articles and relavant to what the candidate JUST talked about in the saddleback forum so it wanst just an irrelevant anti-obama post

cubby thought it as blasphemy so she closed it...
    Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-26-2008 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    well the other one was just a attack on my post.. my was a legitimate concern and now other people who might share that concern "gcoll" and others will not have a option to voice what they think about it.

it was in my opinion a concern based on news articles and relavant to what the candidate JUST talked about in the saddleback forum so it wanst just an irrelevant anti-obama post

cubby thought it as blasphemy so she closed it...
    Yeah, it was so unfair that I closed that one and not the thread on Cindy McCain that was essentially about the exact same thing!

Wait...

vCash
    well that post was a obvious blast to my post.

the fact is this is a forum. it is a place to debate (however seeminlgy trivial) perspectives.

I posted a thread that dealt with my perspective on Obamas hypocrisy.

i did not say you should close the thread.. i say you should never close any thread (unless it becomes hateful or other)... because if it is a silly topic then people wont respond and it will be ignored anyway.

no one was fighting, no one was being hateful... i put up my point.. people responded.. i responded... they responded... thats how this forum thing works

you chose to see to it that my perspective was not worth debating in a open discussion with news articles as references.

and that qualifies this.. as.... ____________________
    Last edited by Doc Fluty; 08-26-2008 at 04:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    The only thing I would call it is OFF TOPIC. You have a right to your opinions, but this belongs in a separate thread.
    A response to a post is off topic?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRomo View Post
    A response to a post is off topic?
    It is when the first post was also off topic. Basically, you and Doc Fluty were posting about illegal immigration. This is not a thread about immigration.

vCash
    i only brought up illigal immigration because of the rally the other night.

and i brought it up because those people were in some peoples opinion citing hate (hate towards the police)

and since you said it is ok to control some forms of hate speech i was wondering if these peoples right to assemble qualified to be shut down in your view

vCash
    i only brought up illigal immigration because of the rally the other night.

and i brought it up because those people were in some peoples opinion citing hate (hate towards the police)

and since you said it is ok to control some forms of hate speech i was wondering if these peoples right to assemble qualified to be shut down in your view
    I'm just trying to understand. Didn't the police try to shut it down only to be chased out by the crowd? Nobody even got shut down from what I could understand.

vCash
    your right it did not get shut down...

im asking you.. in your opinion... does that assembly qualify as "hate speech" and under your censorship rules qualify to be shut down

vCash
    your right it did not get shut down...

im asking you.. in your opinion... does that assembly qualify as "hate speech" and under your censorship rules qualify to be shut down
    Well they're not my censorship rules. They're rules I've found on the web because I took a few minutes to look for them.

IMHO where the assembly could veer into hate would be when the rally moves from protesting illegal immigration to attacking illegal immigrants. When it becomes about a people, it's an attack.

Here's another example that more or less fits: if someone has an anti-war rally and they protest the war in Iraq, that's a political demonstration. But when they start chanting US sucks and burn the flag, that's veering toward hate. I'd support the anti-war protest, but I would not support chanting US sucks or burning anyone's flag. The first is based on beliefs, the second is based on hatred of a people. See what I mean? What right would I have to hate a people? I don't want that "right".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456