• Ignore Obamas pick and get the guy/gal he always wanted anyway

9 60.00%
  • Pick a guy/gal that votes conservatively to secure his base

5 33.33%
  • Pick a guy/gal to get some in the middle voters and Hillary cast offs

1 6.67%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    IMO it's going to be Lieberman. McCain's still rolling with the maverick theme and there's no reason for him to pick a Romney, Huckabee, or Jindal and remind voters that he's not really as much a maverick as the media portrays him to be.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    McCain should pick Hillary as his running mate

That would really shake things up
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    It's going to be Romney in my opinion. He can go toe to toe with Biden. He strengthens McCain on the economy. He could provide a boost out west (Neveda, Colorado, New Mexico) as he's from the area as well as being a mormon. I don't think there's anyway he can choose a pro-choice candidate after the rights reaction to Tom Ridge being mentioned. Romney seems to have become the good soilder since dropping out and has really put the diferences between him and McCain behind him. I'm sure that the dems will use some of what Romney and McCain said about each other against them, but the same is allready being done by the repulicans about Biden/Obama so I think that would be a wash. At this point, I'd be really shocked if it wasn't Roomney.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    McCain should pick Hillary as his running mate

That would really shake things up
    LoL -- then McCain would really lose the conservative right.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    It's going to be Romney in my opinion. He can go toe to toe with Biden. He strengthens McCain on the economy. He could provide a boost out west (Neveda, Colorado, New Mexico) as he's from the area as well as being a mormon. I don't think there's anyway he can choose a pro-choice candidate after the rights reaction to Tom Ridge being mentioned. Romney seems to have become the good soilder since dropping out and has really put the diferences between him and McCain behind him. I'm sure that the dems will use some of what Romney and McCain said about each other against them, but the same is allready being done by the repulicans about Biden/Obama so I think that would be a wash. At this point, I'd be really shocked if it wasn't Roomney.
    Being a Mormon is about the extent of Romney's western ties. He went to school at BYU, I really don't think that'll help him in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico. It would boost the McCain ticket in Utah ... but I don't think McCain needs much help there.

Other than that, Romney is a Michigan and Massachusetts boy, plain and simple.

Then again ... he could give McCain a boost in that ever important suburban white rapper segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1P0WBlVAIA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Then why is it that only conservative talking heads (like Rush) use it?

And, although I'm glad that you're reading, you're talking about a huge portion of rank-and-file Democrats. They aren't going to cross the line and vote for John McCain.

I still think it's funny (and this isn't a response to your post at all) ...

Hillary Clinton beats out five and a half white guys (Edwards, Biden, Dodd, Kucinich, Gravel, and Richardson -- see, half a white guy if we're playing this whole half-white/half-hispanic thing) and ultimately loses to the one black guy, and people are complaining of sexism on the campaign trail. Were there some gaffes by guys like Chris Matthews and other political pundits as well as t-shirt makers (bros before hos)? Sure! Just the same as we saw the racial-bias of the primary campaign against Obama.

But, that's not why Hillary lost. She had the support of greater than 50% of white male working class likely-Dems voters.

No, Hillary lost because she ran an incredibly poor primary strategy. She was running as a general election candidate before the Iowa Caucus and she never initiated a primary game plan until the had all but lost the nomination ... then she turned it into a burnt earth strategy.

No, feminists won't go to McCain. They'll vote for Obama -- or that Green Party candidate, Cynthia McKinney (GA). Or they'll just stay home.
    Did you happen to read Donna Brazille's column on this today? Really good column.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Being a Mormon is about the extent of Romney's western ties. He went to school at BYU, I really don't think that'll help him in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico. It would boost the McCain ticket in Utah ... but I don't think McCain needs much help there.

Other than that, Romney is a Michigan and Massachusetts boy, plain and simple.

Then again ... he could give McCain a boost in that ever important suburban white rapper segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1P0WBlVAIA
    Hate to disagree with you, but ....

"It's going to make a big difference if Mitt Romney is the V.P." for McCain, said Nick Isenberg, a Democratic activist from Glenwood Springs. "We have a lot of Mormons in Colorado."

Nevada's mormon population is 7% btw, which is no small number considering the polls show the state is a toss up.

You do mention Michigan, which is something I forgot to mention as another plus for Romney.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 08-25-2008 at 02:25 PM.

vCash
    LoL -- then McCain would really lose the conservative right.
    Yeah but I wonder how many votes Hillary would end up stealing??

And I know it is a total joke but really what would happen?? That would end up being a fairly middle of the road ticket

One rebublican and a donothingcrat all cramed on the same ticket
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Did you happen to read Donna Brazille's column on this today? Really good column.
    Didn't. And honestly have never really read Donna Brazile ... don't know why. Where do I find her, anyhow?

Hate to disagree with you, but ....

"It's going to make a big difference if Mitt Romney is the V.P." for McCain, said Nick Isenberg, a Democratic activist from Glenwood Springs. "We have a lot of Mormons in Colorado."

Neveda's mormon population is 7% btw, which is no small number considering the polls show the state is a toss up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics

Wow, you really hate to disagree with me? Thanks.

I don't disagree that there is a greater mormon population out west. But, these are people that are generally part of the conservative right based on social issues.

It actually says right in the article ...

"We've been voting Republican for a long time," Isenberg said, and a lot of Coloradans - especially independents - still don't know much about Obama.
    Those aren't the people that were going to vote for Obama to begin with. Romney on the ticket may inspire a few more of them to vote, but don't mormons already have a fairly decent voting record (and usually vote Republican)? I think so.

It isn't "mormon Nevada" that is going to define how the state turns out. It's the ever-expanding greater Las Vegas area.

Again, an influx of typically Republican mormon voters voting for a Republican ticket they'd likely vote for in any other year isn't shocking ... it's expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    Yeah but I wonder how many votes Hillary would end up stealing??

And I know it is a total joke but really what would happen?? That would end up being a fairly middle of the road ticket

One rebublican and a donothingcrat all cramed on the same ticket
    I think you actually might secure a Democrat victory, actually. But, I also think McCain would be kicked out of the Republican party (after the election -- joke). If there is one thing that the Republican base loves to do, it's hate Clintons. If hating Clintons was an Olympic event ... well, they just hate Clintons.

A lot of the conservative base vote could likely swing over to Bob Barr, giving him a fairly decent margin ... maybe even taking a few EVs from generally red states.

That would be interesting though. And, possibly a decent way to actually get a "centered" third party going. But, I think your Dem base stays with the Dem ticket, maybe pulling a few of the sore Clintonites -- but I don't think enough to swing the election around to compensate for the loss of the GOP base.

But, that's just my idea of that scenerio.

vCash
    I don't disagree that there is a greater mormon population out west. But, these are people that are generally part of the conservative right based on social issues.

It actually says right in the article ...

Those aren't the people that were going to vote for Obama to begin with. Romney on the ticket may inspire a few more of them to vote, but don't mormons already have a fairly decent voting record (and usually vote Republican)? I think so.

It isn't "mormon Nevada" that is going to define how the state turns out. It's the ever-expanding greater Las Vegas area.

Again, an influx of typically Republican mormon voters voting for a Republican ticket they'd likely vote for in any other year isn't shocking ... it's expected.
    So mormons don't matter because they are going to vote republican anyways, but blacks somehow matter when they were going to vote democrate anyways? Or young people for that matter? It's not just about winning a demographic but by the margin you can produce. For instance, I believe black voters supported Kerry at around 87 % and polling suggests that Obama has pushed that number to about 92%. Does it not matter because he was allready going to win those voters? Of course not.

These are states (New Mexico, Colarado and Nevada) that are very close according to polling and will most likely be won by a slim margin. While I don't know the voting numbers of mormons in past elections, I think it is safe to assume that Romney on the ticket would increase the percantages.

vCash
    So mormons don't matter because they are going to vote republican anyways, but blacks somehow matter when they were going to vote democrate anyways? Or young people for that matter? It's not just about winning a demographic but by the margin you can produce. For instance, I believe black voters supported Kerry at around 87 % and polling suggests that Obama has pushed that number to about 92%. Does it not matter because he was allready going to win those voters? Of course not.

These are states (New Mexico, Colarado and Nevada) that are very close according to polling and will most likely be won by a slim margin. While I don't know the voting numbers of mormons in past elections, I think it is safe to assume that Romney on the ticket would increase the percantages.
    I didn't say that mormons didn't matter. Of course their votes matter. However, there is a difference. The argument that you're making assumes that the same number of people are going to vote that voted in 2004 or 2000. But, that won't be the case.

Historically, mormons have a fairly active voting record. So, bumping up the percentage of mormons will have less of an impact on overall voting trends than an influx of the black population (which, historically has a somewhat low voting turnout). So, even though mormons support the GOP 90% of the time and the black population supports the Dems 87% of the time, you have to look at the respective numbers of total eligible and total likely when you're looking at trending.

So, yes. Increasing the percentage of mormon voters that choose to vote for a McCain/Romney ticket is going to have a much less dramatic effect than the black population that vote for Obama/Biden.

vCash
    I didn't say that mormons didn't matter. Of course their votes matter. However, there is a difference. The argument that you're making assumes that the same number of people are going to vote that voted in 2004 or 2000. But, that won't be the case.

Historically, mormons have a fairly active voting record. So, bumping up the percentage of mormons will have less of an impact on overall voting trends than an influx of the black population (which, historically has a somewhat low voting turnout). So, even though mormons support the GOP 90% of the time and the black population supports the Dems 87% of the time, you have to look at the respective numbers of total eligible and total likely when you're looking at trending.

So, yes. Increasing the percentage of mormon voters that choose to vote for a McCain/Romney ticket is going to have a much less dramatic effect than the black population that vote for Obama/Biden.

I am not assuming anything regarding voter turnout in the past and my arguement was not that the "mormon card" would trump the "black card" or "young card", just that it could make a difference in those 3 states out west. You said it wouldn't matter outside of Utah and I disagree.

vCash
    I am not assuming anything regarding voter turnout in the past and my arguement was not that the "mormon card" would trump the "black card" or "young card", just that it could make a difference in those 3 states out west. You said it wouldn't matter outside of Utah and I disagree.
    And that's fine. Sorry I tried to make it a demographic battle. Sure, having Romney on the ticket could help McCain in those western "battleground" states. Feel free to make that argument. My only remark on that is they were voting Republican anyway ... they've always voted Republican.

vCash
    Didn't. And honestly have never really read Donna Brazile ... don't know why. Where do I find her, anyhow?
    I'm sure she has a website. I usually read her every monday in the newspaper. But she's a pretty intelligent columnist from what I've read/
    Last edited by blenderboy5; 08-25-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast