Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Kelly Johnson or Dan Uggla?

I have gotten alot of crap from the marlins forum. I am though a marlins fan. no disrespect posting in you forum but i would just like some braves fans opinions...

I would rather have Kelly Johnson due to the fact that his consistency is wayyyy higher than Uggla's. I know Uggla has more homers, but his average and homers have died down ALOT! Not to mention the fact that he has struck out more times than any second baseman and is gaining on Ryan Howard. So instead of hearing from a bunch of homers who would never go against their own player what do you guys think??

vCash
    Dan Uggla, it's not very close either. A poor showing at the All-Star game has hurt his rep, he's still a top 3 2B in baseball, if anybody in here says KJ, they're a homer, plain and simple.

vCash
    well we know their Glove is about the same.. but Dan is a class above Kelly in batting
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

vCash
    this isn't really fair, you are comparing two different type of hitters. Uggla is all about the power and KJ is more balanced. It's a coin flip on defense, I don't think KJ is that bad on D even with the errors but that is my opinion.

KJ has been moved constantly in the lineup so he has never really settled in to a solid spot, if Cox would stop moving him all the time and leave him in the 7th spot he will produce there, but he needs to stop being moved. Anyway, consistency isn't KJ strong point. KJ isn't superior in being consisent than Uggla.

Power hitters normally do strike out a lot and that is what Uggla does but if he puts up big numbers that sort of negates the big amount of K's.

When it comes to production Uggla is superior.

vCash
    Other than the frustration a fan gets out of a strikeout, I don't see what makes it worse than say a pop-up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan227 View Post
    Other than the frustration a fan gets out of a strikeout, I don't see what makes it worse than say a pop-up?
    a pop up always has a chance to drop..(example KJ, don't you remember you blamed our losing b/c of him). I don't understand why people would see the strikeout the same as something hit in play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    a pop up always has a chance to drop..(example KJ, don't you remember you blamed our losing b/c of him). I don't understand why people would see the strikeout the same as something hit in play.
    finally! people keep telling me strikeout is the same as a fly out. definately not a fly out could be used a sac fly.

vCash
    and uggla's consistency is superior brave kid your right there.. consistent at batting .245 every year. is that good enough for you?? KJ will bat higher than him every year i garantuee it.

vCash
    Dan Uggla, it's not very close either. A poor showing at the All-Star game has hurt his rep, he's still a top 3 2B in baseball, if anybody in here says KJ, they're a homer, plain and simple.
    First, call me a homer i guess. I think everyone here knows I'm in love with Kelly Johnson. I would take him in a heartbeat. As someone above, Kelly's consistency will come when Bobby actually leaves him in one spot in the order.
    Second, Bk covered this one, I just wanted to reiterate this. There are so many reasons a pop out is better than a strike out. If he pops it up, at least he's making contact with the ball, and if you put it in play, that puts all of the pressure on the defense. Anything can happen after that.

vCash
    id take Uggla any day of the week. Ill always sacrafice power for defense. Every team needs a guy like Uggla that can hit a 3 run Homer on any AB.

vCash
    Next year im going with KJ because i think he is going to put it together and I agree with BK i dont think KJ's defense is that bad but thi year I will slightly go with Uggla.Personally I wouldnt pick Uggla because of those strikeouts because if he doesnt hit homers he is striking out more

vCash
    sure he'll bat .245 but he'll hit 30 HR's, drive in 90+ RBI's, 65+ XBH, a .480 SLG, and around a .820 OPS. i'll take that if you are going to refuse to walk or hit for a better average.

Sure KJ will hit higher than him at least he better b/c KJ sure won't put up the same power numbers Uggla does. I know where you are coming from, I am not particulary a fan of the low averages power hitters. I prefer the balance, good to high average, gives you a good amount of everything type hitter.

Batting average is not everything, KJ hasn't proved he can give consisent production yet. This isn't a particulary good year for KJ, that OBP is a fluke. I look for next year to see what KJ will bring us for the future.
    Last edited by BRAVE KID; 08-24-2008 at 05:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robdizzle3 View Post
    Next year im going with KJ because i think he is going to put it together and I agree with BK i dont think KJ's defense is that bad but thi year I will slightly go with Uggla.Personally I wouldnt pick Uggla because of those strikeouts because if he doesnt hit homers he is striking out more
    Actually according to ESPN Kelly was:

4th worst in RZ value, 4th most errors, 4th worst fielding %, and 7th worst RF values.

So KJ is a defensive liability, you can see that by simply seeing him field routine grounders.

RF: Range Factor ((PO + A) divided by innings

ZR: Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.

vCash
    Humm I am going to wait till after next year on KJ's defense before I call him a liability. the stats say he is but I am going to say raincheck.

vCash
    I'm gonna say give it at least a 3rd full year at a brand new position before i judge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast