Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

McCain, Obama agree on fall debates

WASHINGTON - John McCain and Barack Obama have agreed to hold three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate this fall, the campaigns said in a joint statement Thursday that outlined formats, dates and locations.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The Commission on Presidential Debates will sponsor the events.

The first, on Sept. 26 at the University of Mississippi, will focus on foreign policy and national security, and McCain and Obama will answer questions from moderator Jim Lehrer while standing at podiums.

On Oct. 7, the two will meet again for a town-hall style debate at Belmont University. Moderator Tom Brokaw will call on audience members and pose questions submitted through the Internet.

The third presidential debate, on domestic and economic policy, is slated for Oct. 15 at Hofstra University. McCain and Obama will sit at a table with moderator Bob Schieffer.

Vice presidential contenders are to meet Oct. 2 at Washington University in St. Louis.
    yahoo.com
    YES

vCash
    OK, here is my opinion for what it is worth, don't know the VPs so will only concentrate on the Pres candidates. I will preface with the fact that right now I am McCain leaning for full disclosure purposes.

I think that McCain will generally "win" debates based on issues. He has strong opinions and is basically more Centrist than Obama. I know there will be some howling about "Bush clone" from the Obama supporters, but the true fact of the matter is that he has always been a party outsider and went hard after Bush eight years ago. He is considering a former D as his running mate as well as pro-choice candidates as well.

However, I believe that Obama benefits from side by side, off the cuff appearances. Like Kennedy/Nixon you have one guy who is young, good looking, well spoken, and appears to be very vibrant debating against another guy who is old, and vaguely creepy. Nixon never recovered from those side-by-sides and McCain could face the same thing. Even once Nixon became Pres he was so obsessed with the Kennedys and other Dems that he approved Watergate even though he was going to win the election by 20 points. Image and appearance are very important, especially in a race this tight.