Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Unhappy Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones dies

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones dies

Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-Ohio) died Wednesday at the age of 58, becoming the seventh member of the House to die in office since January 2007.

The daughter of an airport skycap, Tubbs Jones was the first black woman to represent Ohio in the House. Since 2007, she was chairwoman of the House ethics committee and a member of the powerful Ways and Means Committee.

Tubbs Jones is the third African-American woman, all Democrats, to die during the 110th Congress, which began in January, 2007. The late Rep. Julia Carson of Indiana died last Dec. 5, and Rep. Juanita Millender-McDonald of California died on April 22, 2007.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12676.html
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    RIP

Thoughts and prayers go out to family and friends of Ms. Tubbs - Jones.

vCash
    rip
    YES

vCash
    That sucks. She was great on Colbert.

vCash

vCash
    RIP

Not to be insensitive, although I'm sure some might say I am, what happens to her seat? Is there a special election? If so, does it automatically come from the same party? How does it work? Obviously senators/representatives have passed away in office before, but I guess I don't remember the procedures that take place after the passing.

vCash
    Tough, smart lady. Rest in Peace

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    RIP

Not to be insensitive, although I'm sure some might say I am, what happens to her seat? Is there a special election? If so, does it automatically come from the same party? How does it work? Obviously senators/representatives have passed away in office before, but I guess I don't remember the procedures that take place after the passing.
    No, it isn't insensitive. It's life.

The state executive (i.e. governor) has the ability to call a special election to get somebody in the seat. However, being this close to the November election, and with Congress being out of session, I doubt we'll see that.

At this point, it's a scramble for the state and local Democratic Party to get a candidate in place so they can retain the seat. She was up for re-election anyway -- House Reps run every two years.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т