Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    You're right, Chafee is certainly a liberal Republican. But again, we're talking about Rhode Island.

There aren't a lot of areas where he could be defined as a traditional conservative, but I'll try. And, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ...

*He's an avid free-trader
    *Supports the privatization of social security

eh, that's all I could think of right now ... lol

nevermind.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    We've had some decent Obama ads in Iowa. But, he's going to pour a ton of money and effort into our state. You're in Pennsylvania, right? I think you'll see some harder hitting ads after the convention.

Obama is playing by a different strategy than McCain. We're seeing McCain use up a lot of his ammo really early (like Kerry/Edwards did in '04), but Obama is going to roll it all out on the stretch run. We will see a lot of tv and print & lit once the convention is over ... especially now that they can put Obama/Biden on the cowboy cards.

Again (and I hate to hammer this to death), the FEC is going to hinder McCain for the stretch run. Obama declining public finance will ultimately put him over the top where it will keep McCain in check.
    I could be wrong, but I believe McCain has to spend all of his money that he raised in the primary season before he accepts the nomination. Once he accepts the nomination, then he is limited to the $86 milliion because he accepted the public financing. I'm not 100% on this, but that is my understanding.

vCash
    Yeah, that was surprising. While there are many on the left who are free traders, the privatization of social security tended to be more along party lines. But it was still surprising that Chafee supported it. Because his constituents certainly didn't
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Interesting perspective.
    Thanks

As a side note, I do understand what you meant by the 95% thing. Like Arlen specter's not the best conservative but if he runs for relection in 2010 i'll vote for him.
    There ya go. Sometimes it's just about taking what you can get. All the extreme lefty's here in Des Moines were all over Ed Fallon running to unseat Leonard Boswell. But, in order to keep the seat blue we have to have Boswell running. Ed Fallon (who endorsed Nader in 2000 because Gore tabbed Lieberman, just for some perspective) could never win the House seat because he would be competing in an overly rural district.

I just wanted to tell that story, simply so I could say that Fallon bucked his party and endorsed Nader. And, then proceeded to run for Governor as a Democrat in 2006 (losing in the primary to current Governor Chet Culver ... who is speaking at the Dem Convention tomorrow night).

vCash
    Hmm. Interesting. Is Culver speaking because he's from Iowa, or because he's an influential figure on the left? Or both?
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe McCain has to spend all of his money that he raised in the primary season before he accepts the nomination. Once he accepts the nomination, then he is limited to the $86 milliion because he accepted the public financing. I'm not 100% on this, but that is my understanding.
    I believe that you're correct. But, the FEC guidelines on spending general election money is much tighter. And, I think he has to have his advertising portion all spent by 45 days out -- I could be entirely wrong on that timeline ... that could be when state absentee ballots go out, but still. I know the FEC guidelines are strict.

That's why Kerry couldn't respond to the Swift Boat Vets ads last time. His hands were tied.

vCash
    Hmm. Interesting. Is Culver speaking because he's from Iowa, or because he's an influential figure on the left? Or both?
    No, it's because he's one of Playboy's five most "do-able" governors.
    http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/18972394.html

Well, that or he's one of a plethora of speakers for the convention ... and Iowa has first in the nation status for the primary process (and this is where it all started for Obama, as we like to say here). He also endorsed Obama after Iowa, probably a good move (his wife endorsed John Edwards).

This was a write up in the Minneapolis Star Tribune about Culver ...

GOV. CHET CULVER: Iowa's governor remained neutral throughout the campaign for Iowa's leadoff precinct caucuses, but he endorsed Obama soon after the Illinois senator's win there. At the time, Culver called Obama the party's best candidate to draw independents and Republicans because Obama would fight for "ordinary folks."
    Culver is polling low in the state right now ... he has a fairly heated beef with another Democrat, Mike Blouin. There's talk of Blouin going after him in the 2010 primary ... Blouin is more labor friendly. And, that's your quick Iowa politics update.

vCash
    Always necessary lol

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Yeah, that was surprising. While there are many on the left who are free traders, the privatization of social security tended to be more along party lines. But it was still surprising that Chafee supported it. Because his constituents certainly didn't
    Well Chafee appeased them in other ways. And that's the only way to really get elected in a state that routinely votes opposite your party. Look at all the Dems in the mountain states.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678