Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUGS1688 View Post
    What a dumb ****ing post. Throwing my vote away is giving into the Media and being like every other mindless idiot in the US and picking between the 2 most corrupted ****s in the race. I'm not saying I would DEFINITELY vote for a 3rd party candidate, because I would have to learn about plans for the future before I commit to anyone.

All I'm saying is, neither two of these Candidates really make me think this country has a bright future.
    My post wasn't dumb at all. It was dead on accurate. All the Ralph Nader supporters would have been better served voting for Gore and Kerry. Instead they voted Nader and allowed eight years of Bush and all his policies that went against their values.

Way to go Independents. You make your voice heard voting for a candidate with no chance of winning. Kudos to you.

vCash
    I think what irritates me the post is that if you mark independant on your political party registration thing, the parties have to approve giving you the ability to vote for them. For example, on one of the last ballots I saw before I got all disgruntled and registered Democrat, I only had the Democratic party and American party on my ballot - I didn't want to risk not being able to vote for the Democratic party who I'm most likely to vote for.

[/rant]

vCash
    I could just as easily say it was the people that voted Kerry/Gore that screwed the election for Nader
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    I encourage people to vote for a 3rd party. I wouldn't call it throwing your vote away nessecarily, but you go in knowing that your candidate isn't going to win, at this point anyway. A lot of people's "votes don't matter". I'm a republican living in Illinois. My vote for McCain won't make one lick of difference.

If a third party wants a real chance of getting the white house, I think they need to start small. Weather you like it or not, America isn't going to elect a green party or libertarian or any other 3rd party to president when there are very few of them in any elected official. If I were running those parties, I would work very hard on trying to field candidates in winable districts or senate races and slowly build momentum and gain notoriety. Just like no politician is going to get elected to president without expierence (although I Obama win would get us close to that), no political party is going to win the office without first demonstrating it can win senate or house seats and establishing a track record. I know, judging from your tone, you would say what have the two parties done for us, but thats just how it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I encourage people to vote for a 3rd party. I wouldn't call it throwing your vote away nessecarily, but you go in knowing that your candidate isn't going to win, at this point anyway. A lot of people's "votes don't matter". I'm a republican living in Illinois. My vote for McCain won't make one lick of difference.

If a third party wants a real chance of getting the white house, I think they need to start small. Weather you like it or not, America isn't going to elect a green party or libertarian or any other 3rd party to president when there are very few of them in any elected official. If I were running those parties, I would work very hard on trying to field candidates in winable districts or senate races and slowly build momentum and gain notoriety. Just like no politician is going to get elected to president without expierence (although I Obama win would get us close to that), no political party is going to win the office without first demonstrating it can win senate or house seats and establishing a track record. I know, judging from your tone, you would say what have the two parties done for us, but thats just how it is.
    Exactly. Third party candidates aren't just going to go from one or two seats in the Senate to the president. You're 100% right when you say they need to start at the bottom and work their way up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post

Good news. Looks like latest "polls" (BS things, I ahve never been polled anyone else?), show that McCain is ahead by as much as 5 pts in the general election. Your vote is goign to make a difference. Vote!

vCash
    I'm voting for a third party candidate this year. I know my candidate has zero chance of winning, but I'm not wasting my vote. The point of voting for a third party candidate is to attempt to influence the policies of one of the "major" candidates. Here's what I mean:

Let's say hypothetically that Bob Barr wins 8% of the votes nationally in this election. That's a significant enough chunk of voters to grab the attention of the other two parties (especially the republican party which Barr would be "stealing" most of his votes from). In 2012, the major parties will be targeting that 8% of voters and trying to sway them over to their party by adopting some of the values of the third party candidate. Bob Barr's main platform is reducing the size of the government and government spending. So, in 2012, whoever ends up being the republican candidate would probably incorporate the smaller govt, smaller spending ideals into his campaign in order to gain some of that 8% back into his corner.

By voting for a third party candidate with values that align with yours, you can influence the major parties. So, voting for someone who has no chance of winning is not a waste of a vote.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerRomo View Post
    Good news. Looks like latest "polls" (BS things, I ahve never been polled anyone else?), show that McCain is ahead by as much as 5 pts in the general election. Your vote is goign to make a difference. Vote!
    Don't worry, I'm voting, but there is no way in hell that Illinois isn't going to go for Obama, so in that sense, my vote doesn't matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Padres Son View Post
    I'm voting for a third party candidate this year. I know my candidate has zero chance of winning, but I'm not wasting my vote. The point of voting for a third party candidate is to attempt to influence the policies of one of the "major" candidates. Here's what I mean:

Let's say hypothetically that Bob Barr wins 8% of the votes nationally in this election. That's a significant enough chunk of voters to grab the attention of the other two parties (especially the republican party which Barr would be "stealing" most of his votes from). In 2012, the major parties will be targeting that 8% of voters and trying to sway them over to their party by adopting some of the values of the third party candidate. Bob Barr's main platform is reducing the size of the government and government spending. So, in 2012, whoever ends up being the republican candidate would probably incorporate the smaller govt, smaller spending ideals into his campaign in order to gain some of that 8% back into his corner.

By voting for a third party candidate with values that align with yours, you can influence the major parties. So, voting for someone who has no chance of winning is not a waste of a vote.
    That was well said and I think that is a good argument for voting for a 3rd party. If the 3rd party gets enough votes then either the party itself gains notoriety and momentum or the big party that closely resembles the 3rd parties’ views has to do more to get those voting for the 3rd party to vote for them.

vCash
    this whole voting system is pretty poor. forget republicans and democrats. forget voting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    this whole voting system is pretty poor. forget republicans and democrats. forget voting.
    Thank you for not voting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    Did you seriously just put "ew" at the end of your post? Are you a middle school girl? I'm female, and I don't say "ew."

We have a two party system because of money. A lot of people have a lot of money invested in this. Sure, it would be better to have a more legitimate multiple party system, but it is also a bit inherent that we have people who are on the left and people on the right. Two real choices are a lot easier than three ... or four ... etc ...

We look at issues in black and white, yes and no, right and wrong. Most people don't pay attention and they just want easy answers.

But, to be fair, you do have multiple candidates to choose from. The primary process produces a lot of valid (and some invalid) candidates. You really only end up with the two party system for a matter of months. You can look at it that way, it's not entirely false.
    Great post SmthBluCitrus, I can always depend on you for a good read and logical answers. My take on this is that I know every election it's going to be a democrat or republican that wins the election. Yes I know if more people voted how they truely felt things would be different but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Call me shallow but it's the way I feel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    Great post SmthBluCitrus, I can always depend on you for a good read and logical answers. My take on this is that I know every election it's going to be a democrat or republican that wins the election. Yes I know if more people voted how they truely felt things would be different but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Call me shallow but it's the way I feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Padres Son View Post
    I'm voting for a third party candidate this year. I know my candidate has zero chance of winning, but I'm not wasting my vote. .
    How can you say this when you know a 3rd party has no chance of winning? Sorry but IMO you are wasting you're vote. We are faced with choices often that requires us to choose the lesser of 2 evils and Presidential Politics is nothing new to this. Remember Gore vs Bush 2? This was never more clear in recent memory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    How can you say this when you know a 3rd party has no chance of winning? Sorry but IMO you are wasting you're vote. We are faced with choices often that requires us to choose the lesser of 2 evils and Presidential Politics is nothing new to this. Remember Gore vs Bush 2? This was never more clear in recent memory.
    Did you bother reading the rest of my post, or do you want me to type it again? I explained why voting for a candidate that can't win isn't necessarily a waste of a vote.

vCash
    party system is getting ridiculous i believe it should be rid of, they arent working together, and disagree with each other just because the other side came up with an idea they made up

then when someone tries to be mature and compromise he is ridiculed by everyone,,, its completely ********

analogy its like haveing redsox and yankees fans running the goverment, you have seen us in arguments they are dumb, poorly orgainized arguements and at the end of th day nothing gets done, and everyone is left feeling dumber
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast