Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Obama Campaign Mapping Out Aggressive Counter-Attack Against Swift-Boating

Obama Campaign Mapping Out Aggressive Counter-Attack Against Swift-Boating

In stark contrast with the Kerry campaign in 2004, the Obama campaign is mapping out an aggressive counter-attack against the new Swift-Boat-Vet style book targeting Obama -- including plans to dig more deeply into the author's past statements, plans for increased surrogate action against the book, and stepped up pressure on high-level media executives to let the Obama team have air time to rebut the charges.

The plan is taking shape amid new signs that the book -- by Jerome Corsi, who wrote the tome that formed the basis for the attacks on Kerry -- will have staying power and become a real factor in the campaign.

We've just learned, for instance, that the Corsi book, called Obama Nation, will be number one on the New York Times best seller list two weeks running... (T)he fact that it will stay there for a second week running suggests the attacks will continue to resonate...

Obama Camp Knows Media Will Cover Book No Matter What

It's way too early to know whether such a counter-campaign will be successful or whether the push-back will be effective or sufficiently forceful. But the mere fact that the Obama campaign is planning an aggressive counter-attack suggests differences with Kerry's early approach.

Indeed, the planning reflects an uncomfortable reality for the Obama camp: They realize that the book, and any ensuing GOP attacks in its wake, are certain to continue to get extensive media coverage.

"Despite the fact that Mr. Corsi has no credibility, we understand the reality that its going to get covered, and are going to aggressively work to make sure people understand that this is nothing more than a rehash of already debunked lies," an Obama campaign adviser says.

In 2004, when the Swift Boat Vets first targeted Kerry, a debate erupted within his camp over whether it was better to ignore the book or to immediately strike back against it and bring it more attention. Early on, Kerry advisers chose the former path...
    talkingpointsmemo
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Mr. Corsi.......is a 9-11 truther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCfI3VmL88

It's not right for me to reject his claims at face value, based on this fact......but I am going to do that anyway, and I will ignore the claims Corsi makes about Obama.

About the story. Obama should actually take an aggressive stance against them. You should never let negatives fester. If it's "out there" you have to respond to it in some way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    About the story. Obama should actually take an aggressive stance against them. You should never let negatives fester. If it's "out there" you have to respond to it in some way.
    That's exactly why I posted it. We're about to hear ad nauseum all we can stand about Corsi himself and the validity (or more accurately, falsity) of his claims.

But the real meat of this story imho is Obama's strategy, and how it contrasts to Kerry's. We all knew this would be coming at some point in this campaign. (Dirty tricks are a way of life for the far right now). The only question really was how Obama would deal with it when the time came.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Wait, wait, wait, wait. I thought it was the evil right-wingers that attacked a person instead of the facts that person presented. What has this world come to? Hillary is shaking her head right now and muttering something about a vast left-wing conspiracy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastside Scott View Post
    Wait, wait, wait, wait. I thought it was the evil right-wingers that attacked a person instead of the facts that person presented.
    That's just the part that can be taken for granted now.

Even in McCain's "respectful" and "honorable" campaign.

The only news here is that Obama's not rolling over like Kerry.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Mr. Corsi.......is a 9-11 truther.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yCfI3VmL88

It's not right for me to reject his claims at face value, based on this fact......but I am going to do that anyway, and I will ignore the claims Corsi makes about Obama.

foxnews sure gives this guy plenty of airtime, especially hannity. If you make a negative claim against obama, you get can on hannity's radio and tv shows everyday for a week straight.