Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    vCash
    1500
    LOL @ comparing poverty in America to poverty in third world countries.
    The cost of living here is huge compared to those places. A guy making $8 an hour here is not equivalent to a guy making $8 an hour in an underdeveloped nation because stuff across the board is on a different economic scale.

    If you really think America (governmentally) cares about its poor people I implore you to visit New Orleans...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,435
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    You sir are a socialist
    so i offered an rebuttal. and in ur response you never addressed anything i brought up, all u did was name call and/or label. alright senator mccarthy

    good night and good luck
    #ows

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerzey
    Posts
    820
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theuuord View Post
    LOL @ comparing poverty in America to poverty in third world countries.
    The cost of living here is huge compared to those places. A guy making $8 an hour here is not equivalent to a guy making $8 an hour in an underdeveloped nation because stuff across the board is on a different economic scale.

    If you really think America (governmentally) cares about its poor people I implore you to visit New Orleans...
    if your going to be poor, then Im assuming the US is the country you want to be in b/c of all the governement programs assisted to help the poor.

    Again, in a capitalistic society, there are always going to be people relatively poorer than others. The only way things will ever change is if the mindset of the people change, where school and education come first.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    Posts
    1,405
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theuuord View Post
    LOL @ comparing poverty in America to poverty in third world countries.
    The cost of living here is huge compared to those places. A guy making $8 an hour here is not equivalent to a guy making $8 an hour in an underdeveloped nation because stuff across the board is on a different economic scale.

    If you really think America (governmentally) cares about its poor people I implore you to visit New Orleans...
    yeah cause we all know other countries treat their poor better... i implore you to visit burma

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,228
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theuuord View Post
    LOL @ comparing poverty in America to poverty in third world countries.
    The cost of living here is huge compared to those places. A guy making $8 an hour here is not equivalent to a guy making $8 an hour in an underdeveloped nation because stuff across the board is on a different economic scale.

    If you really think America (governmentally) cares about its poor people I implore you to visit New Orleans...
    I hope that when you say "governmentally", you are not just talking about the federal government, but also New Orlean's local government; or are you conveniently cherry picking?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,259
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    are you serious?
    Of course.

    You can throw out all the anecdotal horror stories about Walmart and bathrooms you want to (once again) brush off the reality that has been presented before you, but the reality is that among all developed countries, America has the highest concentration of wealth in the hands of the smallest segment of society, the highest poverty rate (using a generous measure that really doesn't account for people who are technically over the poverty line but still so poor they struggle just to maintain in income of subsistence), and a dearth of social programs that help the needy.

    That's all factual.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragic Johnson View Post
    I hope that when you say "governmentally", you are not just talking about the federal government, but also New Orlean's local government; or are you conveniently cherry picking?
    I'm talking about the failure of every government, from federal all the way down.
    What the heck kind of cherry picking are YOU doing?

    The Federal government screwed up big time. So did NO's by not being prepared for a disaster.

    If something of that level had hit DC things would be up and running much more quickly than they are in New Orleans, that's for sure.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    yeah cause we all know other countries treat their poor better... i implore you to visit burma
    Right. That was my point, and exactly what I said.

    Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
    if your going to be poor, then Im assuming the US is the country you want to be in b/c of all the governement programs assisted to help the poor.

    Again, in a capitalistic society, there are always going to be people relatively poorer than others. The only way things will ever change is if the mindset of the people change, where school and education come first.
    And how's funding for inner-city schooling going?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,228
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theuuord View Post
    And how's funding for inner-city schooling going?
    I don't know about other inner-cities, but I can tell you a bit about Los Angeles inner cities. I have relatives and friends who work for the LAUSD as teachers. They all tell me funding is not the problem, it's how it's wasted on administrators. My sister told me in her school there are 5 vice-principals whereas when I went to school, there was always only one. The district payed millions for a system to pay teachers and the system screwed up, ending up owing millions in past due salaries to teachers. In 2004, the LA Times reported that the district received from $9,000 to $11,000 a year per student and that $3,000 went unaccounted for. There are a lot of such horrible misspending stories. I wish they would audit the LAUSD, but somehow, I don't think that's happening any time soon. Also, the US average I believe is $8,701 per student, however, the states with the most amount per student are not necessarily the ones that produce better students. So, as I said, I don't think funding is the problem.
    Last edited by Tragic Johnson; 08-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •