Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Syracuse
    Posts
    47,938
    vCash
    1500

    'The Pledge of Allegiance' - by Senator John McCain

    The following story is true and taken from a speech that John McCain gave before the 1988 Republican National Convention.

    'The Pledge of Allegiance' - by Senator John McCain

    'As you may know, I spent five and one half years as a prisoner of war during the Vietnam War. In the early years of our imprisonment, the NVA kept us in solitary confinement or two or three to a cell. In 1971 the NVA moved us from these conditions of isolation into large rooms with as many as 30 to 40 men to a room.


    This was, as you can imagine, a wonderful change and was a direct result of the efforts of millions of Americans on behalf of a few hundred POWs 10,000 miles from home.


    One of the men who moved into my room was a young man named Mike Christian.

    Mike came from a small town near Selma , Alabama . He didn't wear a pair of shoes until he was 13 years old. At 17, he enlisted in the US Navy. He later earned a commission by going to Officer Training School Then he became a Naval Flight Officer and was shot down and captured in 1967. Mike had a keen and deep appreciation of the opportunities this country and our military provide for people who want to work and want to succeed.


    As part of the change in treatment, the Vietnamese allowed some prisoners to receive packages from home. In some of these packages were handkerchiefs, scarves and other items of clothing.

    Mike got himself a bamboo needle. Over a period of a couple of months, he created an American flag and sewed on the inside of his shirt.

    Every afternoon, before we had a bowl of soup, we would hang Mike's shirt on the wall of the cell and say the Pledge of Allegiance.

    I know the Pledge of Allegiance may not seem the most important part of our day now, but I can assure you that in that stark cell it was indeed the most important and meaningful event.

    One day the Vietnamese searched our cell, as they did periodically, and discovered Mike's shirt with the flag sewn inside, and removed it.

    That evening they returned, opened the door of the cell, and for the benefit of all of us, beat Mike Christian severely for the next couple of hours. Then, they opened the door of the cell and threw him in. We cleaned him up as well as we could.

    The cell in which we lived had a concrete slab in the middle on which we slept Four naked light bulbs hung in each corner of the room.

    As I said, we tried to clean up Mike as well as we could. After the excitement died down, I looked in the corner of the room, and sitting there beneath that dim light bulb with a piece of red cloth, another shirt and his bamboo needle, was my friend, Mike Christian. He was sitting there with his eyes almost shut from the beating he had received, making another American flag. He was not making the flag because it made Mike Christian feel better. He was making that flag because he knew how important it was to us to be able to Pledge our allegiance to our flag and country.

    So the next time you say the Pledge of Allegiance, you must never forget the sacrifice and courage that thousands of Americans have made to build our nation and promote freedom around the world. You must remember our duty, our honor, and our country.'



    Where's your hand Barack!?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    Posts
    1,405
    vCash
    1500
    heres a video of that even... he doesn't raise his hand over the entire national anthem

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU9iCANi02o

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    I've heard this before. Awesome story.

    Whether or not you want this man as your president, no one can deny that this guy is a war hero.

    Whats ironic is, while some will risk being beat or even death for the American flag or reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, others burn the flag or spend their time trying to ban the Allegiance from schools.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    I've heard this before. Awesome story.

    Whether or not you want this man as your president, no one can deny that this guy is a war hero.

    Whats ironic is, while some will risk being beat or even death for the American flag or reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance, others burn the flag or spend their time trying to ban the Allegiance from schools.
    I agree 100%. As much as I dislike McCain and don't want him as our next President, his war stories are really inspiring. I bet, although, that some of those stories are the only reason why some people are voting for him, which is not a good reason.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    1500
    Wow, I never heard that story. Its amazing how some people really love our country.
    Duke '10 NCAA Tournament Champs
    Yankes '09 World Series Champs
    Giants '08 Super Bowl Champs

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by yaowowrocket11 View Post
    I agree 100%. As much as I dislike McCain and don't want him as our next President, his war stories are really inspiring. I bet, although, that some of those stories are the only reason why some people are voting for him, which is not a good reason.
    hell yeah. I'm not voting for McCain, but I respect the man and what he's done for this country.

    you're right as well, unfortunately a ton of people in this country vote blindly for various questionable reasons

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,731
    vCash
    1500
    I agree that this shouldn't be the sole reason for votinig for McCain, but I do think it tells you something about the man's character, which I think is important in selecting a president.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I agree that this shouldn't be the sole reason for votinig for McCain, but I do think it tells you something about the man's character, which I think is important in selecting a president.
    I think it reflects more on Mike Christian's character, but he's not running.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,731
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    I think it reflects more on Mike Christian's character, but he's not running.

    This article, yes. I was refering to McCains service and decision to refuse preferential treatment and stay as a POW with his fellow soilders. Would you like to dispute that?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    248
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    This article, yes. I was refering to McCains service and decision to refuse preferential treatment and stay as a POW with his fellow soilders. Would you like to dispute that?
    Amen.

    The guy was told that he could leave and he said "not without everyone else", so they tossed him back in. In a time when many politicians find it a hardship to fly commercial, or turn down loose tail, here is a guy who stayed in a grimy prison only because others would still be there. That is character, plain and simple. There is no amount of spin that can be put to that to make it seem negative in any way.

    There are of course many other reasons to vote for McCain, I guess none are as compelling as "change" to some people. Again I say, electing a beaver President would be "change", how is Obama otherwise more qualified to be President?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    11,115
    vCash
    1500
    McCain's character, heroism, and patriotism is what stands out the most for him. Although, those are important qualities when voting for a President, his ideas, policies, and direction of the country is more important, and I think that is what is hurting McCain.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    8,794
    vCash
    1500
    At least cover your heart and lip sync the words Obama

    Isn't it the least you can do for the men and women that have fought and died??

    Even if you don't believe in what they were fighting and dying for at least respect the sacrifices.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt


    There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,669
    vCash
    1500
    the point is.........as long as you dont vote for McCain purely for his character

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    Posts
    1,405
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    At least cover your heart and lip sync the words Obama

    Isn't it the least you can do for the men and women that have fought and died??

    Even if you don't believe in what they were fighting and dying for at least respect the sacrifices.
    yeah the video is interesting...

    i mean the anthem is playing.. EVERYONE around you and in the crowd has their hands on the hearts...

    why doesnt he think it pertains to him also?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6,338
    vCash
    1500
    The reason people have a problem with the Pledge is because it uses the word "God" in its nature, and since not everyone believes in such a diety (and we are not a religious nation) it is offensive to those who disagree respectfully with that notion.

    I personally believe in God but I choose not to stand for the Pledge because the words themselves, while meaningful to me, do not are not inclusive of the views of the country.

    And also, is the man's hand placement really that big of a deal? Honestly? He is clearly in respect of the flag. The man is running for President for chrissakes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •