Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,229
    vCash
    1500

    U.S. Troops Deployed Abroad Have Donated 6 Times More To Obama Than McCain

    Yep. The troops have given 6 times as much in donations to Obama than McCain, and 4 times as much to Ron Paul than McCain.



    Troops Deployed Abroad Give 6:1 to Obama

    According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain's haul.

    Despite McCain's status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall -- whether stationed overseas or at home -- are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama.
    opensecrets
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,519
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Yep. The troops have given 6 times as much in donations to Obama than McCain, and 4 times as much to Ron Paul than McCain.



    opensecrets
    So lets get this straight. It's not important that you have military experience when it comes to being president. But it is important who those with military experience prefer for president?

    Sounds to me that the military thing is important when it serves the dems purpose.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rockland, ME
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    So lets get this straight. It's not important that you have military experience when it comes to being president. But it is important who those with military experience prefer for president?

    Sounds to me that the military thing is important when it serves the dems purpose.
    Spin this however you want... Of course this is relevant. Especially when one candidate on the trail claims to have the support of the military. This is a quantifiable contradiction to that statement.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    So lets get this straight. It's not important that you have military experience when it comes to being president. But it is important who those with military experience prefer for president?

    Sounds to me that the military thing is important when it serves the dems purpose.
    no one is saying which one makes the other more qualified. What DB is pointing out is that McCain always trots around saying he's supported by every military group there is, but this stat shows otherwise. McCain and his people just assume since he once served, the military support is strongly behind him, it's not.

    Just like someone tried to point out that McCain is going to get more military votes and support because he pushes for increased benefits to the military. In fact he votes against it, while Obama supported Webb and other bills to increase benefits.

    This is just another story of the military support for McCain being overblown by McCain and conservatives in general. It has nothing to do with showing who is more qualified, just who supports who.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosox Believer View Post
    Spin this however you want... Of course this is relevant. Especially when one candidate on the trail claims to have the support of the military. This is a quantifiable contradiction to that statement.
    exaclty, someone else gets it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,107
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    So lets get this straight. It's not important that you have military experience when it comes to being president. But it is important who those with military experience prefer for president?

    Sounds to me that the military thing is important when it serves the dems purpose.
    It sounds to me like the military knows who has the experience, John McCain, and donates to the one without the military experience, Barack Obama, anyways.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,519
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosox Believer View Post
    Spin this however you want... Of course this is relevant. Especially when one candidate on the trail claims to have the support of the military. This is a quantifiable contradiction to that statement.
    The 6 to 1 reflects those troops abroad that have given to a campaign. I think it's important to note that you don't have to give to a campaign to support it. I think this speaks to the "enthusiasm gap" that has been widely reported prior to this. Based on the article, a total of 323 soilders abroad have contributed to any campaign (134 to Obama and 26 to McCain). I hope you are not using a sample size of 323 to speak for the hundreds of thousands of soilders that are deployed across the world. Also, as the article points out, these figures represent the donations of $200 or more which are more likely to be officers with more income. So I don't think you can take this information to say that the military clearly prefers Obama to McCain.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    The 6 to 1 reflects those troops abroad that have given to a campaign. I think it's important to note that you don't have to give to a campaign to support it. I think this speaks to the "enthusiasm gap" that has been widely reported prior to this. Based on the article, a total of 323 soilders abroad have contributed to any campaign (134 to Obama and 26 to McCain). I hope you are not using a sample size of 323 to speak for the hundreds of thousands of soilders that are deployed across the world. Also, as the article points out, these figures represent the donations of $200 or more which are more likely to be officers with more income. So I don't think you can take this information to say that the military clearly prefers Obama to McCain.
    no one is saying the military "clearly supports" either candidate, except for McCain during his speeches. The rest of us realize it is pretty similar to the split in the country as a whole

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    11,116
    vCash
    1500
    Wow, I was not expecting that. It's also surprising that Paul got more donations than McCain.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    Posts
    1,405
    vCash
    1500
    maybe they think that if obama gets elected that he will get them out of iraq immediately like he said over a year ago....

    i wonder if most of them know that both candidates now support a timed withdrawal based on conditions on the ground..

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rockland, ME
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    The 6 to 1 reflects those troops abroad that have given to a campaign. I think it's important to note that you don't have to give to a campaign to support it. I think this speaks to the "enthusiasm gap" that has been widely reported prior to this. Based on the article, a total of 323 soilders abroad have contributed to any campaign (134 to Obama and 26 to McCain). I hope you are not using a sample size of 323 to speak for the hundreds of thousands of soilders that are deployed across the world. Also, as the article points out, these figures represent the donations of $200 or more which are more likely to be officers with more income. So I don't think you can take this information to say that the military clearly prefers Obama to McCain.
    I would not hazard a guess as to whom the majority of military personnel deployed overseas would support in the upcoming election. I'll leave that to McCain. All I am saying is that money talks... and so far, the brave soldiers overseas seem to be just as fed up as the rest of us.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    Also, as the article points out, these figures represent the donations of $200 or more which are more likely to be officers with more income.
    Oh, I see - it's only the elitist troops stationed overseas who support Obama!


    And "enthusiasm gap"? If "enthusiasm gap" accounts for a 6:1 differential, then McCain is in serious trouble, "my friends".
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,519
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Oh, I see - it's only the elitist troops stationed overseas who support Obama!


    And "enthusiasm gap"? If "enthusiasm gap" accounts for a 6:1 differential, then McCain is in serious trouble, "my friends".
    I didn't say elitist, you did. I was simply pointing out that the data was based on a small sample size of those who donated more than $200, and therefore could not be expected to accurately represent the entire overseas troop population.

    In the end a vote is a vote, weather you were so enthusiastic that you donated your own money or not. All of the Obama supporters on here are so confident, thinking that the election is already won, but the polls show this is going to be close. I still think Obama is the "favorite" at this point, but it shocks me to the extent that the Obama supporters (not necessarily you) dismiss McCains chances.
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 08-15-2008 at 02:42 AM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,573
    vCash
    1500
    A former West Point professor, Jason Dempsey, noted that the small set of contributions from deployed troops at this point in 2008 -- just 323 donations -- should not be extrapolated to form conclusions about military personnel overall.
    I think some of you guys should listen to Professor Dempsey.

    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s
    I still think Obama is the "favorite" at this point, but it shocks me to the extent that the Obama supporters (not necessarily you) dismiss McCains chances.
    I've noticed that trend as well.

    And any negative Mccain ad is met with "wow. This guy is getting desperate" or "What a joke"...and the negative Obama ads are completely ignored.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •