Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NotVeryOriginal View Post
    The previously mentioned Chris Rock?

QFT! I cant believe theywouldnt let him onto one of the GOP nomination debates, pure blasphemy.

Trey Parker is a registered libertarian and Matt Stone is a registered republican, and whilst neither strike me as conservative, on the left-right scale (as flawd at it is) they are more right than left.
    Regardless of their party affiliations, SP definitely doesn't not come across as a conservatively slanted show. If anything, its propensity for ridiculing religion - and Christianity in particular - I would guess results in it offending more conservatives than liberals.

And Chris Rock? Conservative? Really? I mean, I could see how some of the bits he's done could arguably be viewed that way (some of his more Cosby-esgue criticisms of black people, for example). But I've never seen a comedy routine from him that made me feel that he was either particularly liberal or conservative, really.

I mean, I was going to put Seinfeld on that "right" list, since I know he's a Republican, but since in terms of his work he's always avoided political content like the plague, I left him off. He's a comedian, and a Republican, but he's not by any means a "conservative comedian" who delivers political humor biased towards the right.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Regardless of their party affiliations, SP definitely doesn't not come across as a conservatively slanted show. If anything, its propensity for ridiculing religion - and Christianity in particular - I would guess results in it offending more conservatives than liberals.

And Chris Rock? Conservative? Really? I mean, I could see how some of the bits he's done could arguably be viewed that way (some of his more Cosby-esgue criticisms of black people, for example). But I've never seen a comedy routine from him that made me feel that he was either particularly liberal or conservative, really.

I mean, I was going to put Seinfeld on that "right" list, since I know he's a Republican, but since in terms of his work he's always avoided political content like the plague, I left him off. He's a comedian, and a Republican, but he's not by any means a "conservative comedian" who delivers political humor biased towards the right.
    You seem to be taking right wing or republican to mean hardcore fundie conservatism, IMO the two terms are actually mutually exclussive. SP pokes jabs at science and liberal social issues just as much as it pokes fun at conservative ones, but that isnt the point, I said that Parker and Stone were right wing, and theyare comedians which would make them right wing comedians. Whether they use their stance to mock the left or make a politcal point is a different matter entirely.

Also, Rock is a self professed Repub, he isnt exactly a fundie but search youtube, there are a hand full of videos in which he admits as much.
    Last edited by NotVeryOriginal; 08-16-2008 at 03:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    South Park ain't conservative. They're just irreverent.

And Bill Maher is ****ing funny - and his show is great (better I'd say, for genuine political discourse, than the Daily or Colbert).
    South Park seems to have a bit of a conservative lean. Not much of one, but still.

Like their creators. Politically it would be "center right"

Also. I don't find Bill Maher to be funny at all.
    Make a list of all comedians you can think of who do political content as part of their shtick
    Well, liberals tend to be more preachy when they get on stage.

That probably accounts for some of it.
    but he's not by any means a "conservative comedian" who delivers political humor biased towards the right.
    No. Of the comedians who do political commentary, most of them come from the left. Although, not all that many of them are actually funny.

I know Jackie Mason is conservative, I'm not sure if it's featured in his act.

Colin Quinn hosted a "politically incorrect" type show...and a lot of the comedians on that show (including Quinn) seemed to be conservative.

And if you can count "insane libertarian" as "on the right" then I'd claim Doug Stanhope.

But your original comment was:
    I really don't know why it is. But the right has just never been good at comedy.
    And that's why I brought up a handful of comedians, and comedic shows...that seem to have a right wing slant to them.

Conan O'brien is another guy, who strikes me as a possible conservative. And I'm curious about Kinison.

I didn't know you had refined it to "political comedians" I thought you just meant comedians in general. Also, I'm pretty sure Seinfeld is a Democrat.
    I would guess results in it offending more conservatives than liberals.
    Conservatives always get more offended than liberals. Unless you insult a gay person, or go after Islam. Then liberals will be outraged. "IT'S THE RELIGION OF PEACE!!!" and whatnot.

But, with their mocking of political correctness, Al Gore, college hippies......they go after the left a lot more than a liberal comedian would. They also go after the right too. But, still.
    Last edited by gcoll; 08-16-2008 at 02:54 AM.

vCash
    no im saying why would i be jealous that the right hasnt produced any good comedians?

vCash
    AFAIK Chris Rock is unaffiliated...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123