Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Measuring the 'Colbert Bump'

Do politicians raise more funds after appearing on "The Colbert Report" comedy show?

Washington, DC—Democratic politicians receive a 40% increase in contributions in the 30 days after appearing on the comedy cable show The Colbert Report. In contrast, their Republican counterparts essentially gain nothing. These findings appear to validate anecdotal evidence regarding the political impact of the program, such as the assertions by host Stephen Colbert that appearing on his program provides candidates with a "Colbert bump" or a rise in support for their election campaigns.

This analysis of one of America's most well-known pop icons of recent years is conducted by political scientist James H. Fowler (University of California, San Diego), who is also a self-identified fan of the show. The research appears in the July issue of PS: Political Science and Politics, a journal of the American Political Science Association. It is online at http://www.apsanet.org/imgtest/PSJuly08Fowler.pdf.

While Fowler notes that Colbert often makes "outlandish" claims for laughs, he also observes that specific segments of the program are devoted to politicians and that politicians themselves have taken notice of the Colbert Report's impact. Moreover, even a cursory analysis demonstrates that despite being a comedy program The Colbert Report appears to exercise "disproportionate real world influence"—likely due to the "elite demographic" of its audience. To investigate the claim of the Colbert bump, the author uses data acquired from the Federal Election Commission on fundraising by Congressional Democrats and Republicans.
    Source: Eureka Alert

I dont know if this is the proper place for this but it seemed to belong.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Source: Eureka Alert

I dont know if this is the proper place for this but it seemed to belong.
    It belongs.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Lol it definitely belongs.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    so are we saying that more democrats watch comedy central?

and that by seeing them on the colbert report that somehow people who were not going to give suddenly just get the urge?

vCash
    colbert is sucha comedian. that's why "i think someone should break his nose."-old kansas woman who didn't like colbert bashing her (interviewed by foxnews).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    colbert is sucha comedian. that's why "i think someone should break his nose."-old kansas woman who didn't like colbert bashing her (interviewed by foxnews).
    Why is being a comedian license to need your nose broken?

LOL, I guess Chris Rock better watch out then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    Aw, come on now, you're just jealous because the right has never produced a funny comedian. The closest they've come is Dennis Miller, who actually started out more on the left, challenging the administration during the Reagan years, and then later when he shifted right he became unfunny.

I really don't know why it is. But the right has just never been good at comedy.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Aw, come on now, you're just jealous because the right has never produced a funny comedian. The closest they've come is Dennis Miller, who actually started out more on the left, challenging the administration during the Reagan years, and then later when he shifted right he became unfunny.

I really don't know why it is. But the right has just never been good at comedy.
    The only thing that i can think of that Dennis Miller did that was funny was Joe Dirt.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    just like the left has never been good at talk radio...

air america??? lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    just like the left has never been good at talk radio...

air america??? lol
    True enough.

But I'll take comedy over talk radio any day.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    True enough.

But I'll take comedy over talk radio any day.
    I think that is because, to my understanding, traditionally the radio waves have been monitored more and censored more than television. I dont have any basis to the claim but that is the understanding that i have heard from other people. I dont mean censored as in "you cant say that" so much as i mean the people who run the radio stations monitor the content more for their liking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I think that is because, to my understanding, traditionally the radio waves have been monitored more and censored more than television. I dont have any basis to the claim but that is the understanding that i have heard from other people. I dont mean censored as in "you cant say that" so much as i mean the people who run the radio stations monitor the content more for their liking.
    Or in other words, those who own the means of procuction also own the means of procuction of information.

Be careful DB, you just may start sounding like a commie!

Atheists Of PSD

vCash

I don't know about that. They are great at unintentional comedy.

Guy that rants like crazy against gay people for years and then gets busted for "bumping feet" with a guy in a bathroom = hilarious.

vCash
    Or in other words, those who own the means of procuction also own the means of procuction of information.

Be careful DB, you just may start sounding like a commie!
    Pretty much. And why am i a commie?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I don't know about that. They are great at unintentional comedy.

Guy that rants like crazy against gay people for years and then gets busted for "bumping feet" with a guy in a bathroom = hilarious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast