Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    I don't think enough Americans a) know Georgia's also a country or b) know what's going on right now in that part of the world for it to affect voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    It won't do anything at all because Americans have no clue:
    1. Where Georgia is
    2. That Georgia's even a country
    You both beat me to it.

I think the only way this has a real impact is if either candidate makes a significant blunder regarding this issue that the other can exploit. For example, I don't know if this story will get legs under it or not (probably not), but if it - or something like it - did, it could make an impact. It could end up as a one-liner in a debate.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Haha wow....I wonder if McCain really plagerized that speech...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AllTheWay View Post
    Haha wow....I wonder if McCain really plagerized that speech...
    They've denied it, saying there are limited ways to describe the same set of historical events or something like that. But a lot of those first two passages is pretty much verbatim...

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Well the first one isn't plagarism. How else would you state that the country was one of the first to adopt christianity?
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    The use of the word "adopt" is fairly specific, and the fact that the following phrasing is word for word is suspect:

one of the ... world ... to adopt Christianity as an official religion

I mean, if this were presented as evidence of plagiarism to a high school English or History teacher, it probably wouldn't pass the plausible deniability litmus test, I don't think.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    George Bush being viewed as "stupid" on a world stage is not an issue.....because it is not JUST the US's opinion that Russia is ignoring.

Second off. Where's the UN? Shouldn't this be up their alley?

That's what happens when someone gets viewed as an idiot, they get ignored.
    And when someone is viewed as weak?

Also, Obama does not coddle Cuba and Iran, that is conservative blowhard spin, nothing fact based there.
    Dude. You spin more than any other poster on this forum.

You took a question about what effect the situation between Georgia and Russia would have on the election, and turned it into a "this is George Bush's fault" topic. Or that somehow....Obama would have a lot more weight with the Russians. That's silly. Do you really think Putin gives a **** what Barack Obama has to say? Putin is former KGB...and he's got that Soviet attitude. He's not some lightweight, like our political figures are.

Finally to get around to answering the question, this story will not have much of an impact on the elections.
    Last edited by gcoll; 08-13-2008 at 02:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    George Bush being viewed as "stupid" on a world stage is not an issue.....because it is not JUST the US's opinion that Russia is ignoring.

You took a question about what effect the situation between Georgia and Russia would have on the election, and turned it into a "this is George Bush's fault" topic. Or that somehow....Obama would have a lot more weight with the Russians. That's silly. Do you really think Putin gives a **** what Barack Obama has to say? Putin is former KGB...and he's got that Soviet attitude. He's not some lightweight, like our political figures are.

Finally to get around to answering the question, this story will not have much of an impact on the elections.
    Russia has veto power in the UNSC. The UN can't do a thing about it. More likely, they'll just condemn Israel for one thing or another. It's their typical fallback.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post

Ahhh! As I start to read my morning news, what do I find?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20080813/ts_csm/atoothless

An article stating how little influence the US has on the region, Russia. Good to see my "spin" is backed by the opinion of world politics!

I'm not at all saying this is GW's fault. It is his fault that our country has no political or diplomatic influence left after all the foreign policy blunders of this administration. LEt me be crystal clear we are not part of the problem and that has nothing to do with the US or GW, but we will have absolutely nothing to do with the solution solely because GW has cut the legs out from under american credibility on a worldwide stage. This is obvious.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    the russians arent honoring the cease fire... and look what happens to the American image when you have people (cough liberlas, obama) screaming for us to tuck our tails in between our legs and run from iraq over a year ago...

see what russians are yelling out as they are invading another country...

"The border has been along this river for 1,000 years," separatist official Ruslan Kishmaria told AP on Wednesday.
    He said Georgia would have to accept the new border and taunted the retreating Georgian forces, saying they had received "American training in running away."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/...georgia_russia

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    the russians arent honoring the cease fire... and look what happens to the American image when you have people (cough liberlas, obama) screaming for us to tuck our tails in between our legs and run from iraq over a year ago...

see what russians are yelling out as they are invading another country...

"The border has been along this river for 1,000 years," separatist official Ruslan Kishmaria told AP on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080813/...georgia_russia
    no one has proposed tucking our tails and running. TO my knowledge the McCain Iraq plan sounds awfully similar to the Obama plan now. I don't get where the Russians are basing their taunts on, or where the spin comes from that this is because of obama proposed policy.

vCash
    ^^^ Yes it does. Because both Obama and McCain became more centrist in their positions...
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    and as most americans look back now they realize anyone could have pointed to a map and said to bomb Afghanistan and get rid of the terrorism promoting taliban and avoided having GW in place to completely screw up Iraq and lie about it this entire time.

Being tough talking is one thing, but talking about something intelligently, with the correct information, and with a clear understanding is completely different. If you could add those things into the equation, you get good fact based decisions instead of fearmongering, overreacting, ego driven, ignorant ones.

Also, Obama does not coddle Cuba and Iran, that is conservative blowhard spin, nothing fact based there. Just because he doesn't spew fearmongering crap and is open to solving the problems without a war and speaking intelligently doesn't make it coddling.

People who agree with me = Intelligent, non-partsan, sane, fair-minded folks

People who disagree with me = "conservative blowhard spin"

What you need to realize is that while you may be surrounded by people who feel the same as you (as people are young they are overwhelmingy liberal because they don't have to pay bills), and choose to label anyone who disagrees with your opinion whether it be a blogger, a national news source, or an elected official as some kind of evil, scheming, spin-meister, that does not mean that there is one overwhelming point of view andthat it is the one shared by you.

Quick numbers - About half of the people eligible to vote in the last couple of presidential elections did. Of those half, half went one way and half went the other (roughly speaking). What that boils down to is that 25% of the people voted the way you wanted. Where exactly do you get the idea that all of your beliefs are so widely held? Spin those numbers any way you would like. I promise you that you cannot get them to work out any differently. No Fox News conspiracy, no Haliburton brainwashing, just a nation happily full of independent thinkers who look beyond whether there is and R or a D after someone's name and base their decisions on a person's accomplishments and qualifications (or lack thereof). Be a sheep if you must, but if you decide to be a sheep, please don't try to herd everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    I actually think this helps Obama. This situation is showing that neither Georgia or Russia really have much respect for US opinion on issues since our leaders judgement, opinion, priorities, and motives have been more than questionable and proven to be terrible with the Iraq invasion. This is an administration that is pretty much bankrupt on worldwide credibility.

Therefore, we could elect a guy who stood by poor decisions from W time and time again, or a guy who brings out 200,000 supporters in a foreign country, and no protestors. Judging by the fact that russia has sarkozy in moscow today to listen to him, I would venture a guess that McCain's opinion and thoughts are viewed down there with W's while a proven open mind like obama would be welcomed by both sides in many conflicts to get to the resolution. It's up to the american people to make this connection instead of just buying the bs line that republicans are better on security despite a piss poor track record on foreign policy decisions especially in times of war.
    i definitely thought that there were some skin heads in germany. i heard about how bad it was for those guys from africa during the world cup. i think ivory coast got it the worst, then again it's hard to tell which cut is deeper

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanian215 View Post
    i definitely thought that there were some skin heads in germany. i heard about how bad it was for those guys from africa during the world cup. i think ivory coast got it the worst, then again it's hard to tell which cut is deeper
    tha fu...?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    tha fu...?
    You didn't notice the thread got changed to "random thoughts on Germany"? That was right after it became a plagiarism thread.

Now back to the subject - They drive fast on the Autobahn, German Chocolate Cake tastes like feet, and I have also heard there are skinheads there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast