Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,055
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    When I go vote for him in November it won't have anything to do with him being Black. I believe his economic, health, and education policies will be better than McCain's. And that's what does it for me.

    Ironically, back in September 2007, if I had to rank the candidates in terms of their policies that I care about, it would have looked like this:

    1. Romney
    2. Dodd
    3. Edwards
    4. Richardson
    5. Obama
    6. McCain
    7. Clinton
    8. Biden


    After all the flip-flopping during the start of the primaries:
    1. Obama
    2. Dodd
    3. Edwards
    4. Romney -- still hoping he'd revert back to his Mass gov past.
    5. McCain

    But now that the third round of flip-flopping has arrived, it's pretty clear to me that John McCain wouldn't be able to do a lick of good for the economy, so there's really no question, Obama's the only candidate I could see myself voting for in November.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    111
    vCash
    1500
    Its socialism and lets not try and cover it up and say its not. He is trying to spread the wealth and take away from the rich. If you have a pretty good share of cash why would you want to give it to someone who became poor because it was their fault (drinking, gambling, school, etc.) giving to the low class is an option not a responsibilty. Mr. Obama wants to take money from people who work there tails off and give to people who are basically poor by choice. Even if your a democrat and you have some money you must be pissed about this.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,055
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IS27NY View Post
    Its socialism and lets not try and cover it up and say its not. He is trying to spread the wealth and take away from the rich. If you have a pretty good share of cash why would you want to give it to someone who became poor because it was their fault (drinking, gambling, school, etc.) giving to the low class is an option not a responsibilty. Mr. Obama wants to take money from people who work there tails off and give to people who are basically poor by choice. Even if your a democrat and you have some money you must be pissed about this.
    You obviously haven't heard of "the working poor". What a ridiculous generalization, that the poor drink and gamble their way into poverty. Pure stereotyping, and those are not the people these policy initiatives are aimed at.

    And then to lump school debt in with that makes the post even less credible. If a person incurs debt by going to school, it's because they are trying to better themselves. So your example contradicts your point.

    There are some really jumbled ideas in that post. Who says that there aren't a majority of people who work their tails off and still barely make ends meet? It's extremely common.
    Last edited by ink; 08-10-2008 at 05:02 PM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    111
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    You obviously haven't heard of "the working poor". What a ridiculous generalization, that the poor drink and gamble their way into poverty. Pure stereotyping, and those are not the people these policy initiatives are aimed at.

    And then to lump school debt in with that makes the post even less credible. If a person incurs debt by going to school, it's because they are trying to better themselves. So your example contradicts your point.

    There are some really jumbled ideas in that post. Who says that there aren't a majority of people who work their tails off and still barely make ends meet? It's extremely common.
    No I think you just cant't understand I was using school as in a lazy kid who drops out and wonders why they cant make ends meet. Let me ask you. Do you want your money taken away basically without your consent given to Mr and Mrs _______ because you make to much money and they sit home all day without jobs??

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Cox View Post
    and the people... cant have a lottery if no one buys the tickets... right?

    such an incredible simplistic idea and yet we are the only state that does it..
    Almost every state's lottery goes to their education! Georgia's not the only state that does it. Though clearly, Georgia isn't financing their primary and secondary institutions all that well. I guess that's how they ensure that they don't have to pick up too many tabs at the college level.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CHief_0_o_Wahoo View Post
    It's not right though. It just isn't what our country is made of, we should strive to become rich to become successful to say the least. If we tax the big business and if we tax the family with more money why would we want to work hard to get there. Instead you can work half of what that person works and still make relatively the same salary. That doesn't make sense if you ask me, no matter what you say to that it's not right period.
    And then who's going to buy the products that the wealthy corporations offer?

    If the poor are gradually starved out of the system, everyone suffers. Consumption makes up the bulk of our GDP. The top 5% who are going to find their taxes increasing rely on the bottom 95% to fuel this economy.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Athens-UGA
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Almost every state's lottery goes to their education! Georgia's not the only state that does it. Though clearly, Georgia isn't financing their primary and secondary institutions all that well. I guess that's how they ensure that they don't have to pick up too many tabs at the college level.
    actually you dont know what your talking about... Georgia is among one of the best managed states in the country, ranking 4th in the PEW Center Rankings that came out in March of this year. The county i attending high school in has the second higest SAT scores in the country and my College (UGA) is considered a public IVY.... and its ALL FREE thanks to the lottery... Got to love that HOPE Scholarship...

    Any state COULD do it (an incentive based program designed to keep smart, educated people in the state), they just arent managed as well.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Jerzey
    Posts
    820
    vCash
    1500
    i will be on the hope scholarship too. My family in NY and NJ are so jealous haha. When they ask how, I just tell them its the lottery and they freak out. And its really done wonders for the state, especially Atlanta. Atlanta will be the new york of the south in due time.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,055
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IS27NY View Post
    No I think you just cant't understand I was using school as in a lazy kid who drops out and wonders why they cant make ends meet. Let me ask you. Do you want your money taken away basically without your consent given to Mr and Mrs _______ because you make to much money and they sit home all day without jobs??
    Neither candidate is talking about handing out money in this way, so your example isn't really relevant. Same goes for your example of the drop out. These are stereotypes man. A far greater majority work their tails off only to break even.
    Last edited by ink; 08-10-2008 at 07:29 PM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IS27NY View Post
    No I think you just cant't understand I was using school as in a lazy kid who drops out and wonders why they cant make ends meet. Let me ask you. Do you want your money taken away basically without your consent given to Mr and Mrs _______ because you make to much money and they sit home all day without jobs??
    UI lasts for no more than 6 months. Our welfare-to-work program that we have in this country is just that -- a work program.

    The bulk of people who are sitting home and not working are either disabled, or people collecting short-term unemployment. There might be a small percentage of leeches, but overall the system seems to work. And bear in mind that it was a Republican Legislature working with a Democratic President that got it to work so well in the 1990s.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
    actually you dont know what your talking about... Georgia is among one of the best managed states in the country, ranking 4th in the PEW Center Rankings that came out in March of this year. The county i attending high school in has the second higest SAT scores in the country and my College (UGA) is considered a public IVY.... and its ALL FREE thanks to the lottery... Got to love that HOPE Scholarship...

    Any state COULD do it (an incentive based program designed to keep smart, educated people in the state), they just arent managed as well.
    I was pointing out the stupidity in the argument more than attacking Georgia's education. I have a few cousins who have gone through the Georgia system.

    One thing though, what is a "public IVY?" I find it funny that most state schools consider themselves to be a "public IVY."

    Regardless, you just keep proving my point with the scholarships and state funding you're getting. According to you that's 100% socialist. Enjoy!
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
    i will be on the hope scholarship too. My family in NY and NJ are so jealous haha. When they ask how, I just tell them its the lottery and they freak out. And its really done wonders for the state, especially Atlanta. Atlanta will be the new york of the south in due time.
    Probably why more people are voting Democratic down there than ever before...
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  13. #73
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Athens-UGA
    Posts
    1,664
    vCash
    1500
    actually its the opposite. The lottery has nothing to do with paying taxes..
    It has everything to do with managing the state well and cutting back on unnecessary spending.

    The reason more people will be voting democratic in georgia is because of the large african american community and the young college students who will actually vote. Still Mccain is expected to win.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •