Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What are the longer term campaign strategies for both candidates?

I spent a long time talking with a good friend of mine last night - a fellow expat American here in Japan - about the recent turn of events in the campaign. Our conversation was mostly centered around the recent negative direction of the McCain campaign and the Obama camp's response to it.

And I was kind of "wondering out loud" as we were examining what's going on whether Obama might be pursuing, in rough terms, a "rope-a-dope" strategy. Basically, a) waiting until he has a serious financial advantage to break out a truly heavy advertising blitz (something that's been discussed here), and b) putting a lot of stock in what they anticipate to be some significant success in the debates and the re-packaging and presentation of his candidacy at the convention (topped off by his big speech there). In the meantime, basically responding to attacks as they surface and presenting key policy positions (like the energy policy this week) that will be tied together at the convention, and letting McCain keep slugging away and using up a lot of his energy/resources too quickly.

Basically it just seems to me that Obama could be pushing back harder against the recent attacks (and could do so without going negative), but seems to be in a somewhat restrained mode of operation right now. It really feels to me like they're holding back.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Basically it just seems to me that Obama could be pushing back harder against the recent attacks
    How? The attacks are that Obama lacks substance. The way to combat that, would be to talk about the issues. And it seems at this point, the Obama campaign is trying to figure out where they are on the issues.
    and could do so without going negative
    Isn't it too late for that? Isn't accusing someone else of being "in the pocket" of big oil, kind of a negative thing?
    but seems to be in a somewhat restrained mode of operation right now. It really feels to me like they're holding back.
    It seems to me (a biased observer) that the Obama campaign is looking for their message. The strong anti-Iraq stance that helped him become the nominee, is not going to carry him through the general election.
    Last edited by gcoll; 08-06-2008 at 12:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    How? The attacks are that Obama lacks substance. The way to combat that, would be to talk about the issues. And it seems at this point, the Obama campaign is trying to figure out where they are on the issues.

Isn't it too late for that? Isn't accusing someone else of being "in the pocket" of big oil, kind of a negative thing?

It seems to me (a biased observer) that the Obama campaign is looking for their message. The strong anti-Iraq stance that helped him become the nominee, is not going to carry him through the general election.
    the mccain campaign message is not challeging obama's substance at all. It's mudslinging and taking away from the issues. and point out mccain's financiers is not negative. If obama were to run an ad pointing out mccain's age and forgetfullness, that would be comparable to what mccain is doing to obama. character assassination is not focusing on the issues, don't spin that crap

vCash
    Realistically all obama has to do is focus on the economy. as the situation no doubt gets worse over the next three months and every report shows it, all he has to do is go over the bush plan, show the insane amount of similarities to the mccain plan, and then contrast with his plan. that should just about do it with the job losses, stocks, oil prices, gdp, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    Realistically all obama has to do is focus on the economy. as the situation no doubt gets worse over the next three months and every report shows it, all he has to do is go over the bush plan, show the insane amount of similarities to the mccain plan, and then contrast with his plan. that should just about do it with the job losses, stocks, oil prices, gdp, etc.
    I think Obama's economic plan has some serrious holes. I've read a lot of articles how economists think we could be headed for trouble with Obama's plan. I think McCain needs to play that up. The problem of course is that McCain doesn't speak well on the economy. Maybe that's were Romney comes in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I think Obama's economic plan has some serrious holes. I've read a lot of articles how economists think we could be headed for trouble with Obama's plan. I think McCain needs to play that up. The problem of course is that McCain doesn't speak well on the economy. Maybe that's were Romney comes in.
    as long as mccain has similar economic policies as those being pushed by GW, currently implemented, and currently failing, I don't think he's going to want to bring that subject up. Obama's plans may be an overhaul and scare some on wallstreet, specifically those invested in oil, pharmaceuticals, and insurace, but just about everyone else seems open to his plans. Wall street will adjust, they always do, and the american people are the ones who want the economic overhaul. more of the same economic policy is not something that mccain wants to bring up.

and if you think bringing in a guy who is going to talk about reaganomic policies is a strength, you are sadly mistaken. this guy may be able to charge up the 27% who still support bush, but the rest of the people who the tax cuts for the upper 1% don't benefit seem to be through with this crap. trickle down bs has been sold to many times in the past 30 years and every time it has failed. SO bring on Romney and the rhetoric, set up the pins, obama will gladly knock them down