Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should Lin be our 6th man?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 64.29%
  • No

5 35.71%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How about using Jeremy Lin as the 6th man?

With Patrick Beverley's emergence last season, why not try and use Lin as the 6th man this season?

Beverley is probably the better "3 and D" guy between the two so he would be a better fit with Harden and Howard commanding all those double teams.

Lin, like Harden, is at his best when he is initiating the offense and has the ball in his hands. Lin is much better at running the offense than Beverley. He's the better playmaker and better at getting his own shot. I feel like Lin can do a great job coming of the bench and running the second unit.

I think it would be the best use of resources, personally. With Lin and Asik (for now) along with the rest of the guys on the bench, our 2nd unit can really become a huge strength and help us hold leads that we so often lost last year when our starters came out.

Plus there is no 'shame' in being a 6th man. Harden, Ginoblii and even our coach Kevin McHale played huge roles as the 6th man on championship caliber teams. I think it could be a good move overall for the balance and foundation of the team.

What do you guys think?
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    I like the idea alot actually, especially because we don't have a playmaker on our bench, but Lin would demand out IMO if that ever happened. Some people just don't want to sacrifice their starting position for a chip, ala Asik
    Texans Time is here!

vCash
    A second unit with Lin, Cisco, Jones and Asik, with sometimes Chandler leading like Harden did on OKC does sound awesome.

vCash
    I'll be upset if they don't use that line up now.... genius!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    i'm open to it. Lin and Asik off the bench would be scary as ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    It would be a good idea, but it's hard for young guys to accept those roles sometimes. They feel like it's a demotion. It all makes sense though.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    It would've been pretty close to our starting lineup last year before the Harden trade. Just swap Cisco with Martin and Jones with Pat. Pretty good.

vCash
    You do realize that Harden plays 40 minutes a night, right? We should ALWAYS be playing have at least one of the two on the floor, and we do that, even with both starting, kinda like Wade and LeBron. So, Lin as the 6th man doesn't make that much sense to me. He will basically play the same role, 30+ minutes a night, always on the floor when Harden is not.

It makes sense on paper, but on reality it won't change much. Just the beggining of halfs. And I love Beverley coming off the bench, he adds som much energy to the game, that's what I want from the 2nd unit.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    It would be a good idea, but it's hard for young guys to accept those roles sometimes. They feel like it's a demotion. It all makes sense though.
    yea...i see Lin struggling with that too. i think a big part of Lin's struggle last year wasn't that he wasn't good enough but because he had confidence issues and was trying too hard to meet the expectations other people had for him. "demoting" him to a 6th man role might hurt his confidence more and stunt his development. thats why I'm "open" to this idea but not completely for it. I still think Lin has the talent and the abilities to be an above average PG in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    You do realize that Harden plays 40 minutes a night, right? We should ALWAYS be playing have at least one of the two on the floor, and we do that, even with both starting, kinda like Wade and LeBron. So, Lin as the 6th man doesn't make that much sense to me. He will basically play the same role, 30+ minutes a night, always on the floor when Harden is not.

It makes sense on paper, but on reality it won't change much. Just the beggining of halfs. And I love Beverley coming off the bench, he adds som much energy to the game, that's what I want from the 2nd unit.
    i think Harden played so many minutes because the Rockets had no other consistent initiator on offense last year. With the addition of Howard, I don't see Harden playing 40+ minutes every night.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 07-11-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Well you will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    yea...i see Lin struggling with that too. i think a big part of Lin's struggle last year wasn't that he wasn't good enough but because he had confidence issues and was trying too hard to meet the expectations other people had for him. "demoting" him to a 6th man role might hurt his confidence more and stunt his development. thats why I'm "open" to this idea but not completely for it. I still think Lin has the talent and the abilities to be an above average PG in the league.

i think Harden played so many minutes because the Rockets had no other consistent initiator on offense last year. With the addition of Howard, I don't see Harden playing 40+ minutes every night.
    I can't see Harden playing much lower than 40 minutes a game. He is still our best offensive weapon and he isn't going to be on the bench for more than 10 minutes total, in my opinion.

vCash
    Exit interview with Lin asked him that question with Lin responding that he would be willing to do that for the team. I hope that he and Asik can come to terms with their roles on the team. I would try to sub-out D-12 in a way to get him with Lin out on the court for pick-n-roll action while Harden rests. Long season and this roster should allow Coach Mac to decrease minutes of both starters (Harden/D12) to a good rate while still winning. I can see the Second squad keeping pressure on opposing teams. Lin did well with Amare while kicking out to Novak and others. I remember Carmelo coming off injured list; which took the ball out of Lins hands. IMO that brought Lins numbers down.

Terrence Jones looks like he has bulked up and ready for the 4 spot. I really like this Robert Covington kid(summer league). I hope he is invited to training camp. Honeycutt reminds me of a Tayshuan Prince.

Some deep teams out there. Nets, Clippers, Golden State seem to be adding players everyday. As "The Rock" use to say before he started doing movies. "Know your Role !!" I don't know much about pro-wrestling; but I know that was one of his catch-phrases.
    Last edited by Jatman20; 07-11-2013 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Who do you guys see starting at the 4 then? Asik? Jones?

MARLINS
    ROCKETS
    DOLPHINS

vCash
    Jones or Monty

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    or Smith.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast