Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 657
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    6,361

    Houston Rockets 2015 Offseason Thread

    So, the 2014-15 season is over. And it was a hell of season. 56 wins, 2nd seed in the Western Conference, 1st ever Southwest Division Title, and the first Conference Finals appearance in 20 years. And let's not forget Harden finishing as the runner-up MVP.

    Anyway, this offseason looms big. We've got a mid-round Draft pick and a bunch of important players becoming free agents, including Patrick Beverley, Josh Smith, Corey Brewer and Jason Terry.

    It seems clear the Rockets need another perimiter guy who can create and/or score to take the pressure off of Harden's hands.

    First, the Draft:

    We've got the 18th pick from the Pelicans, the 31th overall pick from the Knicks and an obvious need to fill. And the Draft is filled with good talents at the guard position.

    Those are my favorite names, who might be avalaible at the 18th:

    PG Cameron Payne, Murray St. - At 6-2, 185 lbs, he has great basketball IQ, he can score, he can pass and he can definitely shoot. And he can also defend well. 20 and 6 player last year.

    SG Devin Booker, Kentucky. - At 6-6, 205 lbs, the guy can shoot. And shoot really well. He's drawing a lot of comparisions to Klay Thompson. His defense is questionable, but has a high IQ.

    G Jerian Grant, Notre Dame. - At 6-4, 200 lbs, he has great size and he can score and create. He would be perfect for a sixth man role off the bench. 16.5 points per game last year.

    PG Tyrus Jones, Duke. - At 6-1, 185 lbs, he might be undersized and he isn't a great defender, but he can pass, shoot and people are prasing his intangibles.

    SG RJ Hunter, Georgia St.. - At 6-6, 185 lbs, the sharpshooter might be the best 3-point specialist in the Draft. He looks like JJ Redick. He's a good passer as well, but a questionable defender. Scored over 19 last season.

    PG Terry Rozier, Louisville. - 6-2, 190 lbs, he's a scorer from the PG position, with goos defense, but a below-average jump shot.

    Then, there are some other guys. Delon Wright from Utah, Fuzaro from my beloved Brazil and Rashad Vaughn from UCLA. And then, who knows, they might go best player available and take on of the quality frontcourt players.

    And it's not a lock we'll be picking at the 18th. We might try to move up, move down or package the pick in a trade and not pick in the first round at all.


    Now, the Free Agency:

    According to reports the cap will be at around $67.1 million.

    And according to HoopsHype, this is our cap situation:

    Dwight Howard - $22,359,364
    James Harden - $15,719,062
    Trevor Ariza - $8,200,000
    Terrence Jones - $2,489,529
    Donatas Motiejunas - $2,288,205
    Clint Capela - $1,242,720
    Joey Dorsey - $1,015,421
    Nick Johnson - $845,059

    Brewer has a $4,905,000 player option. Reports said he declined that option already, but if it's not true, he'll probably decline it anyway.

    Prigioni has a $1,734,572 contarct, but just around $300k are guaranteed.

    Kostas Papanikolaou has a fully unguaranteed $4,851,769 contract. Basically a team option.

    All those contracts are guaranteed, giving us $54.159,357 guaranteed money. That's roughly $13 million in cap space. We could open more spacing by dealing away guys like Dorsey, Johnson and Jones. But that's counting on Brewer becoming a FA, waiving both Prigioni and Kostas and renouncing all FA to avoid cap holds, including Smith, Beverley, McDaniels and Brewer. It also means we would have to renounce the MLE, because it also has a cap hold. That would make re-signing those guys impossible. $15 million might be enough to get a big-name FA like Dragic, Knight, Aldridge or Love. But that would definitely kill our depth. And it would be a huge risk.

    In my opinion, we should forget about a FA signing (unless it's a sign-and-trade deal). Bring back Kostas (he showed potential, and his contract is a nice trade chip). And let's hope we can re-sign Brewer and Smith for fair money. Then, I'd also be looking to extend McDaniels' QO, and hope we can sign him on a cheap contract. Terry on a veteran minimum contract or Prigioni back.

    That leaves us with:

    Terry or Prigioni/Johnson
    Harden/McDaniels
    Ariza/Brewer/Kostas
    Motiejunas/Smith/Jones
    Howard/Capela/Dorsey

    That's obviously a hole at PG, while we don't need three PFs who can't really play another position. I'd be looking to move Jones, maybe along with the 18th pick for an upgrade at PG, or just use the pick on a guard and then there's the big decision on Patrick Beverley.

    Bev's got a cheap $1,181,348 QO, but he's definitely not the ideal PG for this team, not to mention his history with injuries. But if we can draft a scorer to come off the bench, and it pans out, while re-signing Beverley to a fair deal, that's perfect.

    There are some many options and questions... But we definitely look flexible.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    6,361
    We should target Lawson, as a trade option.

    Maybe they're interested in Beverley, and we can work out a sign-and-trade. If not, I don't know if we can match his $12 million deal.

    Or Jarrett Jack ($6 million deal), from the Nets. I've always liked him. Brooklyn would definitely be interested in Kostas, I guess.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,395
    I just wish Dragic was smart enough to come at here she. He had the chance....

    What is Knight going to command this offseason? We can renounce all FA rights, try to sign him to a fair 12-13 mil a year contract, then hope terry signs for a vet min, and try to get smith to sign for the MLE?

    Knight/Terry
    Harden/Draft pick 18
    Ariza/Draft pick 31
    Dmo/Smith
    Howard/Capela

    Fill in others with league minimums?

    Kills our depth but love that starting 5...Smith terry and Capela are great bench energy guys and Morey will likely find a gem in the draft again...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by rockets-fan View Post
    I just wish Dragic was smart enough to come at here she. He had the chance....
    Let him continue to shine on mediocre teams.

    What is Knight going to command this offseason? We can renounce all FA rights, try to sign him to a fair 12-13 mil a year contract, then hope terry signs for a vet min, and try to get smith to sign for the MLE?

    Knight/Terry
    Harden/Draft pick 18
    Ariza/Draft pick 31
    Dmo/Smith
    Howard/Capela

    Fill in others with league minimums?
    I'd assume Knight will be offered more than $12 million a year. And I'd assume the Suns traded for with the intention of re-signing him at that cost. He was playing at an All-Star level before the trade, leading the Bucks to a very good record.

    But, even if signs for that kind of money, we would have to renounce everyone, including the MLE, so we would be able to re-sign Smith, unless he signs for the vet minimum, of course. You're forgetting Jones, though. Either we keep him to come off the bench, or we free up a couple of millions by trading him.

    And I also forgot to mention rookies will count against the cap. The rookie-scale contract for the 18th pick is set to be $1,372,000 in the first year. And the 31st pick would be signed for around $900k.

    Kills our depth but love that starting 5...Smith terry and Capela are great bench energy guys and Morey will likely find a gem in the draft again...
    Terry as the only sure backup guard? That looks like not really good.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    908
    lets get Lamarcus.... get our big three. I read somewhere he wants to be on a contender. Houston is a viable destination. Maybe resign Smith then do a sign and trade with Jones and Smith going to Portland for Aldridge. EDU would that work? Then maybe package both 1st, and second round picks to either move up and select a point guard, or via trade.. We need to resign Brewer. He's def a good player. Maybe Rockets risk it and go over the cap...

    Thoughts?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Denverbronco007 View Post
    lets get Lamarcus.... get our big three. I read somewhere he wants to be on a contender. Houston is a viable destination. Maybe resign Smith then do a sign and trade with Jones and Smith going to Portland for Aldridge. EDU would that work?
    No, not unless Aldridge is willing to take a (huge) paycut. Or we're willing to deal Howard or Ariza in a sigb-and-trade deal. Aldridge will demand a max deal, at the same amount Howard signed with us, starting at around $20 million in the first year. Howard, Harden and Ariza combine for around $45 of the projected $67 million. Count Motiejunas and you already have less than $20 million to expend, and that's not couting all the players under contract we would have to trade, including the draft picks.

    We could re-sign Smith and package him with Kostas in a sign-and-trade, but you can only move a newly signed guy after three months (or Dec 15th, whichever comes first). Aldridge won't hold his breath that long.

    So, everyone saying the Rockets are a possibility for Aldridge or Love haven't really checked our cap situation yet.

    Then maybe package both 1st, and second round picks to either move up and select a point guard, or via trade.. We need to resign Brewer. He's def a good player. Maybe Rockets risk it and go over the cap...

    Thoughts?
    We have only one pick, the Pelicans one, as our own first-round pick will go to the Lakers as part of the Lin trade.

    I agree on Brewer. I definitely want him back, but only on a fair deal. If someone is willing to overpay him, let's just work with Kostas and see what we have in KJ McDaniels.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    15,396
    The most important things for the offseason are keeping the core intact, adding pure shooters, adding a PG, and STAY HEALTHY

    Dump the old guys
    Keep Josh, Brew, and Bev if at all possible
    Package Jones and the 1st rounder plus whatever else for a Pg or move up in the draft and draft a good PG. A guy that can score and distribute.

    My ideal roster next season

    Beverly/New PG
    Harden/Danny Green
    Ariza/Brewer
    Motijunas/Smith
    Howard/Capela
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,186
    I like Mike Dunleavy to replace Brewer. Danny Green would be another great option as well. Morey needs to find 3 point makers rather than just 3 point takers.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    No, not unless Aldridge is willing to take a (huge) paycut. Or we're willing to deal Howard or Ariza in a sigb-and-trade deal. Aldridge will demand a max deal, at the same amount Howard signed with us, starting at around $20 million in the first year. Howard, Harden and Ariza combine for around $45 of the projected $67 million. Count Motiejunas and you already have less than $20 million to expend, and that's not couting all the players under contract we would have to trade, including the draft picks.

    We could re-sign Smith and package him with Kostas in a sign-and-trade, but you can only move a newly signed guy after three months (or Dec 15th, whichever comes first). Aldridge won't hold his breath that long.

    So, everyone saying the Rockets are a possibility for Aldridge or Love haven't really checked our cap situation yet.



    We have only one pick, the Pelicans one, as our own first-round pick will go to the Lakers as part of the Lin trade.

    I agree on Brewer. I definitely want him back, but only on a fair deal. If someone is willing to overpay him, let's just work with Kostas and see what we have in KJ McDaniels.
    Ok, Roger that... That was a fun season. I was engaged all season. Maybe keep the roster the way it is except for a few changes.. Will montiejunas give us an edge in the paint that we missed during the playoffs? Remains to be seen. We def need a staunch defender at point to guard Steph and all the elite point guards... I think that should be our main priority. And someone that can shoot the basketball...
    Keep Jason Terry also. He's a good locker room guy. I know he's getting old, buy he'll be solid off the bench.

    Ok, maybe Terry isn't the best option coming off the bench. Let's see what the Roclets do in the draft and free agency. The Rockets got very close this year, so maybe experience plus a piece or two gets it done
    Last edited by Denverbronco007; 05-29-2015 at 12:07 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    942
    Rockets got a really hard off-season ahead of them. More harder than last off-season. I don't like bringing back Brewer, Smith and Terry, if I was Morey, I would bring back smith only. As much as I like Brewer his shooting is too unreliable. I know Smith's is too but at least he played awesome in that Clippers series. In an ideal world brewer would walk and the rockets sign Green. But there is next to no chance of that happening. So are the rockets hands tied and they have to bring back brewer? Or do they run with pops or McDaniels?
    The PG situation is a cluster**** and I have no idea what you would do with that.
    Also I feel like the rockets need a fill in back-up C while Capela develops. I love Capela but he is still a season or 2 away from being a solid back-up. Or can the rotation of Dmo, smith and Howard hold over until Capela is ready?
    A whole lot of questions to be answered.
    I am the hero PSD deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Schenectady, NY
    Posts
    908
    I meant Montiejunas would crush it in the paint for us along side Howard

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,395
    EDU, word is Love is looking at Boston LA and Houston and landing spots....

    What can we do to get him and still have a quality team

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    BRAZIL
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    The most important things for the offseason are keeping the core intact, adding pure shooters, adding a PG, and STAY HEALTHY

    Dump the old guys
    Keep Josh, Brew, and Bev if at all possible
    Package Jones and the 1st rounder plus whatever else for a Pg or move up in the draft and draft a good PG. A guy that can score and distribute.

    My ideal roster next season

    Beverly/New PG
    Harden/Danny Green
    Ariza/Brewer
    Motijunas/Smith
    Howard/Capela
    I'll have to check how big the cal holds for Brewer, Smith and Beverley will be, but I think just the Brewer cap hold will make a Danny Green signing really unlikely. Not to mention adding Green, while keeping Brewer and adding a new PG would be redundant and there wouldn't be enough minutes to go around.

    And if we're adding a starting-caliber PG, either by trading or moving up, I don't know about re-signing Bev.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariza's Better View Post
    Rockets got a really hard off-season ahead of them. More harder than last off-season. I don't like bringing back Brewer, Smith and Terry, if I was Morey, I would bring back smith only. As much as I like Brewer his shooting is too unreliable. I know Smith's is too but at least he played awesome in that Clippers series. In an ideal world brewer would walk and the rockets sign Green. But there is next to no chance of that happening. So are the rockets hands tied and they have to bring back brewer? Or do they run with pops or McDaniels?
    The PG situation is a cluster**** and I have no idea what you would do with that.
    Also I feel like the rockets need a fill in back-up C while Capela develops. I love Capela but he is still a season or 2 away from being a solid back-up. Or can the rotation of Dmo, smith and Howard hold over until Capela is ready?
    A whole lot of questions to be answered.
    I think it all depends on other moves. If we intend to keep Jones, there's no need to create a logjam at PF by re-signing Smith. And if we can add a swingman who can shoot and score, I'd let Brewer go.

    And I feel like center is the only backup position we're pretty much set. Capela showed great potential, while Motiejunas and whoever will be playing backup PF can also play there.

    Quote Originally Posted by rockets-fan View Post
    EDU, word is Love is looking at Boston LA and Houston and landing spots....

    What can we do to get him and still have a quality team
    I don't see any scenario we can get him without giving up Ariza or Howard in a sign-and-trade deal. We can free up enough cap space to sign him straight up, and we don't have anyone to send on a sign-and-trade deal to match his salary.

    I doubt he opts out anyway. And if he does, the smart thing for him to do would be signing only a one-year deal and become a FA again when the cap goes up next year.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Clutch City
    Posts
    2,454
    Lou Williams?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    melbourne, australia
    Posts
    942
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Lou Williams?
    I like Lou and he would be a good fit but no chance he leaves Toronto. Lowery is more likely if we are talking PG from Toronto.
    I am the hero PSD deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •