Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Game Thread for 10/27-10/1: Denver, Golden State, @Miami

It's upon us, gentlemen! The season is set to begin tomorrow night in Houston against the lowly Nuggets, and it's time for our first game thread of the year. I'll try to keep doing these every week on a Monday-Sunday schedule. But if there's a week I miss because I'm just too busy at work, feel free to step in for me and take over.

These first few games will certainly be a challenge as this team has been banged up most of the offseason and hasn't had a change to mesh together very much. The Rockets face Golden State, Miami, OKC and the Clippers in their first six games, and I'd like to see them go at least 2-2 in that stretch if possible. But the schedule gets substantially easier after that and through the end of November, Houston faces a lot of bad basketball teams that should help it start the season off with a nice record.

As for these first three games, it's going to suck not having Dwight for the Denver game tomorrow night, but if they can't beat Denver without Dwight I have serious concerns for the team this season. That second game on Friday is obviously the real barometer of where this team is at, though. I'd really, really like to see Houston at least play competitive basketball in that one and possibly even pull out a win. At Miami is no cake walk either, but I like the Rockets chances a little better in that game. I'm hoping for at least a 2-1 start, but we'll see how things shake out.

As always, use this thread for game discussion and all other discussions related to Rockets basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    Wizards make it farther than the Cavaliers. Heard it here first.

I love the first game of the season. Last year we crushed Kobe and the Lakers behind Harden's 32.

The game against Golden State is huge. Even if the November schedule is fairly easy, a win against the defending champs would give this team so much confidence.

After the Clippers game, aside from facing the Grizzlies twice in three games between Nov. 20 and 25, almost every game is a winnable one until basically Christmas. The only games against likely 50% teams are vs Boston, vs New Orleans, at Washington and vs Clippers. That's it. Then of course it gets a little brutal. But Houston should easily be able to win 22-25 of the first 30 games of the season.

They will need to stay healthy. I can't believe we don't have an update abou Motiejunas by now. Jones started last season strong, and we're gonna need him to that again, especially if Howard begins the year sidelined.

EDIT: Just read Wilson Chandler won't play tomorrow night.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...witter-premium

Great read about Lawson.

Everything, absolutely everything, I've read, seen or heard about him in Houston has been positive. It's almost unreal. He might get suspended for some games at some point, but so far, evertything seems to be going in the right direction. Trading for Lawson might be the biggest, most impactful move this offseason.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

We set the tone early and build a 20 point lead heading into the half.

Tanaka Time! #NYY

And the season begins....
    Nuggets are getting destroyed tonight
    Excited for tonights game, but really looking forward to friday's game against the warriors.

Horrible start. The Rockets looked like they just woke up and realized they were playing a basketball game. But if there's a bright spot in that atrocious first quarter, it's Montrezl Harrell. He looked great and made a huge impact off the bench. Beverley also looks as tenacious as ever, and that small ball lineup they ran worked out pretty nicely against this fast-paced Denver team.

Way, way too many easy baskets, though. And James has got to take over and start scoring some points. There's no reason not to get up for the first game of the season, and that start was embarrassing.

Nuggets coming out strong. Getting out rebounded and giving up too many points in the paint. Something to watch for the rest of the game. Hope the Rockets adjust.

Tanaka Time! #NYY

Terrence Jones looks absolutely horrible out there. If there are any TJones fans still out there in Houston, let this game be a lesson to you of how wildly inconsistent this guy is. No DMo and no Dwight in this game against an incredibly mediocre front court defense and he is just totally lost. This is his chance to step up and prove he deserves the starting spot and he's getting completely outplayed by Harrell.

The starters looked much, much better in the second quarter. And thank god Harden made those two 3-pointers to end the half. I was starting to get worried about the guy. He needs to pick it up on the both ends of the floor in the second half. TJones even looked better that quarter with a couple of nice offensive plays in the paint.

If Capela can play that level of defense around the rim in the second half and the Rockets can do a better job of closing out on 3-point shooters, Houston should win this game. Not a great first half, but I saw some positive signs from guys I wanted to see positive signs from (mainly Lawson, Harrell and Capela).

Very frustrating first half. Lucky to be only down by 4 with how awful our defense is playing. TJones struggling early with the left hand but made his last two baskets by going to his right hand. Harden heating up. Missing Dwight and DMo really hurting us defensively

Tanaka Time! #NYY

The play of Harden, Jones, and Ariza is very rusty! I hope they shake it off soon.

9 turnovers and 14 total points in the 3rd quarter. Awful. No way we deserve to win this game. What a joke to start the season.

Tanaka Time! #NYY

Truly disgusted by this one. I don't care if Dwight wasn't playing. This team just played lazy, uninterested basketball on both ends of the floor. If they play like this much most the season, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs at all in the West. ****ing train wreck.

I was looking forward to the Rockets being one of the last unbeaten teams but that bubble got burst early

Wow
    I was way off.. Denver owned the Rockets tonight. Rockets played sloppy. Really sloppy. And the shooting was horrific. Didnt see this coming at all. Its hard to win a basketball game when you cant shoot and turn the ball over constantly.. Bad loss tonight.

Poor shooting and turnovers = loss

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast