Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Grizzlies at Rockets Game Thread

I thought it was just a good idea to paste the work of the good fellas at Chron.com.

Rockets vs. Grizzlies

When/where: 7 p.m./Toyota Center

TV/radio: Root Sports/740-AM, 850-AM (Spanish)

Three-pointers

Grizzlies

1. The Grizzlies’ defense remains as strong as ever, ranking fourth in points allowed per possession, but Memphis has gotten better offensively with more reliable perimeter scoring to go with its strength inside. The Grizzlies rank eighth in points per possession while taking the second-lowest percentage of their shots inside the 3-point line.

2. The Grizzlies not only have the NBA’s best record in the 2014-15 season, they have the best record of 2014, going 51-17 this year and 47-15 since Marc Gasol returned from his injury Jan. 14, including wins in all three games against the Rockets.

3. While Zach Randolph can dominate at any time, the Grizzlies have shifted more of their offense from Randolph in the low post to Marc Gasol at the elbow. Gasol has scored at least 20 points in a game nine times in the Grizzlies first 17 games, one more than all of last season. His average of 20.1 points is by far a career-high.

Rockets

1. As turnover-prone as the Rockets have been, their game in Memphis might have been the season’s worst. They had one more turnover in the loss to Golden State, also a blowout, but the game in Memphis came apart when with the Rockets holding a 15-13 lead midway through the first quarter, the Grizzlies rolled through a 25-3 run, most fueled by Rockets turnovers. The Rockets had 15 of their 21 turnovers that night in the first 18 minutes. Their 17.1 per game are the third-most in the NBA. The Grizzles force 15.5 per game, ninth most in the NBA.

2. James Harden has carried the Rockets through many of their short-handed games, especially offensively, but struggled badly in his matchup with Tony Allen in Memphis. Harden made just 1 of 8 shots, missing all four of his 3-pointers. He made just 30.3 percent of his shots and 15.4 percent of his 3s in three games against Memphis last season.

3. With Dwight Howard doubtful (Terrence Jones, Pat Beverley and Isaiah Canaan are out) rookie Tarik Black is expected to start against his hometown team, likely matching up with Zach Randolph whom he considers mentor after their lockout-season workouts together. He and Donatas Motiejunas will have to go against a team third in scoring in the paint, with Kostas Papanikolaou coming off the bench as an undersized power forward against an oversized Memphis frontcourt.
    There's no team I hate facing more than Memphis. They always have our number, and there's no player better at guarding Harden than Allen.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    From a previous thread, Rockets were:

- First in points allowed (91.5).
    - First in DefRtg (points allowed by 100 possessions) (94.5).
    - Second in Opp FG% (.417%).
    - First in Opp 3PT% (a ridiculous .275%), allowing only 5.7 made threes a game, which is funny, because no one makes more thress than the Rockets.
    - Fourth in takeaways (16.9) (Third in steals).
    - Also fourth in assists allowed.

How is this Rockets Defensive surge possible without Beverly and Howard?? Is the team buying into a better Team Defense Strategy? Is Canaan better than Bev?? Is Ariza that big a part of the equation? Is Harden actually pulling his weight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    I thought it was just a good idea to paste the work of the good fellas at Chron.com.

There's no team I hate facing more than Memphis. They always have our number, and there's no player better at guarding Harden than Allen.

Don't forget the Clippers and when healthy OKC. Recently theses teams have had our number. The Grizzlies are so good this year. Going to be a tough game for sure. We just need to get healthy to see what we really have here. Can't wait to see all the starters on the court playing. Right now I'm not sure if we have enough fire power to beat the Grizzlies.

vCash
    Looking forward to a much more competitive game tonight. Best of luck

vCash
    Dorsey is changing my opinions on him

vCash
    Actually went to the game, great defense played tonight.

vCash

Grizzlies at Rockets Game Thread

Good game. I like the energy combo of Dorsey and black. Grizz were lazy with passes and the rockets made them pay with fast break points

vCash
    Yeah, the young guys are getting better each game. We are loaded with talent. I'm surprised at how good Dorsey and Black are playing, but also Dmo. He's really playing well at both ends of the court. Really liking the energy I'm seeing from this team. Great win, this was a statement game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JetRocketAngel View Post
    From a previous thread, Rockets were:

- First in points allowed (91.5).
    - First in DefRtg (points allowed by 100 possessions) (94.5).
    - Second in Opp FG% (.417%).
    - First in Opp 3PT% (a ridiculous .275%), allowing only 5.7 made threes a game, which is funny, because no one makes more thress than the Rockets.
    - Fourth in takeaways (16.9) (Third in steals).
    - Also fourth in assists allowed.

How is this Rockets Defensive surge possible without Beverly and Howard?? Is the team buying into a better Team Defense Strategy? Is Canaan better than Bev?? Is Ariza that big a part of the equation? Is Harden actually pulling his weight?
    I know, right? It's just a different mentality, not just a run and gun team anymore. Ariza is miles and miles better on defense than Parsons. Harden has improved so much it's unbelievable. Black has quickly made me forget about that guy we had from Turkey (what was his name again? Asik?). Kostas brings that smart defense off the bench. And I can't tell you how much Motiejunas has impressed me over the last couple of weeks.

And who was that guy and what did he do with Joey Dorsey? Are you kidding me with those blocks and dunks? He made those look so easy.

Black is now averaging 5.6 rebounds in only 17.4 minutes. That's 11.6 per 36 minutes. And a pretty decent 9.7 points, also per 36.

And how about Jason Terry averaging 17 and 5 as a starter. When Bev and Canaan get back, a Beverley and Harden backcourt with Canaan and Terry backing them up, is as good as it gets.

With Jones and Howard back, and starting along with Ariza, with Kostas, Motiejunas and Black off the bench, is also pretty darn good.

vCash
    With no change in the Rockets’ list of players out with injuries, coach Kevin McHale said he did not expect any until Saturday at the earliest and probably not until next Wednesday when the Rockets play at Golden State.

Terrence (Jones) is not on the horizon,” McHale said. “Probably won’t have Dwight (Howard) through the weekend.

“(Pat Beverley) may play Saturday, maybe, probably (not until) next Wednesday.”

The Rockets play a back-to-back against the Timberwolves and Suns, Friday and Saturday. If Howard misses both games as McHale expected, he will have missed nine games with a strained knee. Jones has been out since the fifth game of the season with nerve damage in his right knee. Beverley has missed 11 of 16 games since he suffered a strained right hamstring in the second game of the season.

Guard Isaiah Canaan missed a second game with a sprained left ankle and is not expected back until next week.
    Damn. How are 14-4 without 3/5 of the starting lineup and half the rotation?

vCash
    These injuries may end up being a blessing if we can maintain a good record during them. It's giving Dmo, Canaan, Black and others great opportunities to grow. Hopefully by the playoffs everyone is healthy and has had a chance to mesh and we could actually be a very deep team after adding someone with the TPE and the development of these young guys

vCash
    I wanted to make thos a thread but I guess I cant since im new to the forum but,
    If D mo keeps playing this way, do you guys think he will take T Jones place as a starter or do you think his post up style will clog the area for Dwight?

vCash
    If anything Motiejunas fits better next to Howard than Jones, in my opinion. I still think this is Jones' job to lose, but Motiejunas will make him prove he is worth starting. And I think Jones could be in the trade block in two weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    I know, right? It's just a different mentality, not just a run and gun team anymore. Ariza is miles and miles better on defense than Parsons. Harden has improved so much it's unbelievable. Black has quickly made me forget about that guy we had from Turkey (what was his name again? Asik?). Kostas brings that smart defense off the bench. And I can't tell you how much Motiejunas has impressed me over the last couple of weeks.

And who was that guy and what did he do with Joey Dorsey? Are you kidding me with those blocks and dunks? He made those look so easy.

Black is now averaging 5.6 rebounds in only 17.4 minutes. That's 11.6 per 36 minutes. And a pretty decent 9.7 points, also per 36.

And how about Jason Terry averaging 17 and 5 as a starter. When Bev and Canaan get back, a Beverley and Harden backcourt with Canaan and Terry backing them up, is as good as it gets.

With Jones and Howard back, and starting along with Ariza, with Kostas, Motiejunas and Black off the bench, is also pretty darn good.
    If Harden's defensive effort continues into the playoffs, we will have a very good shot of winning and winning big. He has surprised me this year. I thought he might have just been giving lipservice to defense in the pre-season, and when things got real, he'd back off again and just rest on the defensive side of the court. But maybe he really does want to win it all, and something clicked this off-season. (maybe he noted how Jordan and Kobe were both just as serious about defense as offense?) Maybe someone in his entourage finally got up the guts to show him how he was being made fun of on YouTube? Who knows? Doesn't matter, he's playing D!

Go Rockets!