Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Key Season For Stewart

Key Season For Stewart
    The same week Anthony Stewart accepted his qualifying offer to spend another year as a Panther, the 6-2 right winger said, Its a make or break year for me.

And if it doesnt happen, he added, it will all be on my shoulders.

Stewart, a first-round pick (25th overall) in 2003, has been a bit of an enigma. In the words of GM Jacques Martin, Stewart has great skating ability and hes a big, strong man. He also scored 30 goals three times in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). But Stewart hasnt been able to crack the starting lineup here in South Florida the past three years. In fact, he was recalled from the Panthers American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate in Rochester, N.Y., seven times last season.

A lot of guys have been traded after a year of disappointments, Stewart said. Im going into my fourth year and Im not where I want to be, so it motivates me to be that much better and be that much more successful.

And, Stewart admits, hes definitely happy to get one more crack at it.

In an effort to make the team out of training camp, Stewart is spending his summer working out in South Florida, something he hasnt done before in his short career.

Im down here committed to making the team, said Stewart, who had an assist in 26 games with the Panthers last season. Its July and I got two months to get ready.

Last season, Stewart recalled, he didnt get to South Florida until two weeks before training camp. Some questioned his training and fitness, including Martin. That wont happen this year.

You know, they can tell me what to do, but if theyre not supervising me its hard to know what to do, he said. Theyve told me to do certain things. It didnt work out last year so well try something else. Now Ill come down here. They said, Well keep tabs on you, and that way Im close and they can see where Im at.

Im putting my faith in the organization. Im going to work hard and well go from there. Im still excited about putting on the jersey and Im eager to work and show Im committed.

Martin believes Stewart has matured and has a better understanding that he controls his destiny.

He realizes this is a key season for him, Martin said. Hes got to be in the best condition hes ever been and its kind of a new beginning. He can take the lessons hes learned the past three years and be prepared to earn a spot in camp.

When asked why he qualified Stewart, Martin replied; As an organization, weve invested money and time with Anthony and its to our benefit that he succeeds.

We want him to achieve his goal, and his goal is to play in the NHL, he added. I think he just has to understand what it takes to play at the next level, and thats what the AHL is for. You work on skill and it gives you time to mature. Every night youre going to be in a battle and every night you have to be committed to yourself and your teammates. Its not easy, but if you want to be successful you have to pay the price. You hope in the last three years Anthony has leaned and he comes to camp and shows us that hes ready to play in the NHL.

In the words of Stewart, Its gut check time.

Ive got to be the guy whos first in the forecheck and uses my size as much as possible and try to be intimidating, he said. Im happy I took my qualifying offer. It wasnt about money or where I should be or where Im not.

I want to play, and whatever it takes to be on the team Im willing to do.
    I hope Stewart has a good season for the Panthers.

vCash
    me 2.
    Props to pheagles 10 and phins1983