Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigleyboy25 View Post
    What the hell are unions if not bringing politics into the workplace? Teachers get memos every year telling them to go out and vote for Democrats.

    This is a business looking out for its best interests. Welcome to capitalism. Don't like it, too bad.
    When I was in a union I never got a memo on how to vote. Once I got a mailing on which local people were more pro-labor, but that came from a Republican running for office who was trying to bash his rivals.

    The union only sent information regarding meetings, proposed contracts, etc.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    Exactly. Democrat economic policies are actually terrible for their constituents, who usually are too ignorant to realize it until they get laid off due to the millions of dollars that the increased corporate & high net worth (business owners) taxes, raising minimum wage, benefits, healthcare, etc. The money has to come out of SOMEONE'S pockets, and obviously it won't be from the CEOs and business owners because they control their company's capital flow.

    Equilibrium.
    Without minimum wages, workers wouldn't be able to buy the products they make/sell. And in that case, what good is it doing the company?

    There's a circular flow to capitalism. Households provide labor to firms who then provide goods back to the households. Firms send wages to households. Households then pay for the goods in return.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Unless they actually passed laws that said "Businesses have to raise wages and refrain from firing people," (which would, incidently, really hurt the economy), minimum wage increases and selfish unions and other like things will often hurt the minimum wage employee. Especially in the short term. Long term, some sort of trickle up economics can happen as poor people spend a higher percentage of their money on luxury items.
    Close, but not exactly.

    In some industries, increasing the minimum wage can actually decrease the number of employed workers in the short run. However, in others it can lead to a net increase. It all has to do with productivity gains.

    In the long run, a minimum wage increase will ALWAYS lead to an increase in employment. All minimum wage workers spend everything they earn. They can't possibly save anything because their earnings are below the poverty line. With a 100% propensity for consumption and 0% for saving, that means their whole paycheck is going to be spent -- thus increasing GDP and in turn creating more jobs. Furthermore, if the government is providing an earned income tax credit to people below the poverty line, by increasing the min wage, we can push people over the line and reduce that form of welfare spending. Less government spending means less taxes are needed -- thus everyone has an increase in their disposable income.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    18,130
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    When I was in a union I never got a memo on how to vote. Once I got a mailing on which local people were more pro-labor, but that came from a Republican running for office who was trying to bash his rivals.

    The union only sent information regarding meetings, proposed contracts, etc.
    Yeah, I was going to say, my Mom is part of the NYS Teachers union and she never gets flyers telling her to vote Democrat. Is some of the stuff they send pro-Democrat, absolutely, but it never tells you who to vote for.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,568
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    Then why not offer living wages and decent healthcare to it's employees, or let them unionize?? I'll tell you why because they are greedy bastards that don't give a **** about their workers. I have not shopped in Walmart in over 10 years and never plan to.
    Or their employees could stop being losers and get real jobs. It's obviously better than sitting home collecting welfare checks, but unless you are mentally handicapped (I don't mean that in an offensive way) you really don't have to work at a place like wal mart for life.

    Typical Republican mantra that republicans think that people who bust their backs to make corporations like Walmart successful should adopt. Why not give what is fair and proper?
    I believe everyone has equal opportunities, or should, but not equal outcomes. If you work at Wal-mart, it's fair to get paid the bare minimum.

    I'll tell you something BB, my father has worked in a Foundry for 36 years of his life. He has 40% hearing loss, has had 3 back surgeries, 2 hernia surgeries, has bad feet, and lung problems from the work he has done. If you are going to try to tell me that he is not worth his union wage then you will have a big argument on you're hands. He is worth every cent that his unions has got for him and could not of done it without them.

    Good for him. Seriously.

    But why should he be making as much money as the CEO of the company. If he deserved that much money, he probably wouldn't be... well... working in a foundry for 36 years.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

    RIP Jesse Helms

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,583
    vCash
    1500
    Wal-Mart is anti-democrat?

    I can answer that question. Yes. They are. Why? Because democrats go after them.

    I'll tell you something BB, my father has worked in a Foundry for 36 years of his life. He has 40% hearing loss, has had 3 back surgeries, 2 hernia surgeries, has bad feet, and lung problems from the work he has done
    Working in a foundry = miserable.

    About this though....my older brother works at Wal-Mart, at night, unloading trucks.

    If you are going to try to tell me that he is not worth his union wage then you will have a big argument on you're hands.
    Union wage? Maybe where your father worked. But the foundry that my dad did work for (he didn't work at the foundry, just built some stuff for them)...was pretty much staffed entirely by illegal immigrants, and they were not making "union wages"
    Last edited by gcoll; 08-01-2008 at 11:31 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,568
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Wal-Mart is anti-democrat?

    I can answer that question. Yes. They are. Why? Because democrats go after them.
    Well yes, presumably.

    I'd hate any party that made my company out to be more of a threat than international terrorism.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

    RIP Jesse Helms

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    a cardbroad box under the overpass
    Posts
    3,409
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Close, but not exactly.

    In some industries, increasing the minimum wage can actually decrease the number of employed workers in the short run. However, in others it can lead to a net increase. It all has to do with productivity gains.

    In the long run, a minimum wage increase will ALWAYS lead to an increase in employment. All minimum wage workers spend everything they earn. They can't possibly save anything because their earnings are below the poverty line. With a 100% propensity for consumption and 0% for saving, that means their whole paycheck is going to be spent -- thus increasing GDP and in turn creating more jobs. Furthermore, if the government is providing an earned income tax credit to people below the poverty line, by increasing the min wage, we can push people over the line and reduce that form of welfare spending. Less government spending means less taxes are needed -- thus everyone has an increase in their disposable income.
    good post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •