Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hillary to give keynote speech on 2nd night of Dem Convention

Clinton to speak Tuesday at Democratic convention, sources say

(CNN) Sen. Hillary Clinton has agreed to speak on the second night of next month's Democratic convention, headlining on the 88th anniversary of the day women earned the right to vote, sources say.

Two sources close to Clinton said the former presidential candidate will speak August 26 with all female U.S. senators on stage with her.

"Tuesday night is Hillary night," said one supporter.

That night is the anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, which gave women the right to vote.
    That second night speech is the same time slot that Obama gave his big speech in 2004 that put him on the national map.

More importantly, it also is NOT the time for the vice presidential selection to speak, which is traditionally on the 3rd night. So this effectively means that Hillary is out of the running for Obama's veep choice.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    We'll see about that. I don't think she will be, but there's enough action to support her being the nominee.

Such as the hiring of Patti Solis Doyle (Hillary's former political operative and senior advisor opposite Mark Penn). She's not the chief of staff for the Vice Presidential nominee.

Some Clinton supporters were angry about that, because they thought it was a slap in the face since Hillary fired PSL (on Penn's recommendation). But, they were only looking at it on the surface.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Actually, I wasn't only inferring that Obama might not choose Hillary from her speech date alone. I came across this article in the NYT the other day:

When Mr. Obama appeared Sunday on “Meet the Press” on NBC he offered a description of the kind of person he was looking for, hinting that it would not be someone who was identified strongly with Washington, a choice that would appear to leave out Mrs. Clinton. His associates said this description reflected the lack of serious thought being given to Mrs. Clinton for the post.

The feeling goes both ways. Mrs. Clinton has told associates in recent days that she thinks there is little chance Mr. Obama will pick her and that she views the public pronouncements by some of Mr. Obama’s aides that she is under review as nothing more than a courtesy.

She has not been asked to provide written documentation to the committee vetting the background of candidates for Mr. Obama. Although Mrs. Clinton probably needs less flyspecking than almost anyone else in the field — considering how long she has been in public life and how intensively her past has been examined — the silence from that corner is being taken by Mrs. Clinton’s advisers as evidence of where she stands on Mr. Obama’s vice presidential list.

Mrs. Clinton’s boosters have not given up. “If he picks Hillary he gets her 18 million supporters and we would win in a cakewalk and control the White House for 16 years,” Terry McAuliffe, who was the chairman of her campaign, said Sunday in an interview.

Yet even Mr. McAuliffe... seemed to acknowledge the diminished chances of Mrs. Clinton’s ending up on the ticket when he said he expected her role at the convention to consist of delivering a speech on Tuesday night. (If history is any guide, the vice presidential candidate speaks on Wednesday night; Mr. Obama’s advisers said they had not decided when Mrs. Clinton would speak.)
    So when I saw that followed up by confirmation that she's speaking on Tuesday, it kind of drove the idea home for me.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    No, I absolutely agree with you. I personally don't believe she will be. But, by the same token, I wouldn't be surprised if she was. There are signs that point to both sides, and we'll find out by the end of August.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    McAuliffe's been pushing Tim Kaine lately.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    McAuliffe's been pushing Tim Kaine lately.
    God McAullife is such scum. He's from my area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigleyboy25 View Post
    God McAullife is such scum. He's from my area.
    I agree. He ruined the Democratic party between 2000 and 2004 by trying to make everything all about him. He's all ego.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Sometimes when I see him on TV I seriously wonder if he's been doing speed. He is one hepped up dude.

Atheists Of PSD