Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Out of ALL the farm systems in the league, which would you want?

Voters
314. You may not vote on this poll
  • Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

7 2.23%
  • Oakland Athletics

30 9.55%
  • Texas Rangers

56 17.83%
  • Seattle Mariners

5 1.59%
  • Chicago White Sox

7 2.23%
  • Chicago Cubs

9 2.87%
  • Cleveland Indians

6 1.91%
  • Kansas City Royals

8 2.55%
  • Minnesota Twins

6 1.91%
  • Detroit Tigers

3 0.96%
  • Boston Red Sox

35 11.15%
  • New York Yankees

21 6.69%
  • Toronto Blue Jays

16 5.10%
  • Baltimore Orioles

10 3.18%
  • Tampa Bay Rays

77 24.52%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

7 2.23%
  • Milwaukee Brewers

14 4.46%
  • San Diego Padres

3 0.96%
  • Arizona Diamondbacks

6 1.91%
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

7 2.23%
  • Cincinatti Reds

6 1.91%
  • Houston Astros

3 0.96%
  • Los Angeles Dodgers

19 6.05%
  • San Fransisco Giants

35 11.15%
  • Colorado Rockies

5 1.59%
  • Washington Nationals

4 1.27%
  • New York Mets

10 3.18%
  • Philadelphia Phillies

10 3.18%
  • Florida Marlins

28 8.92%
  • Atlanta Braves

31 9.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sportfan6197 View Post
    the rays obviously have the best farm, with the A's at #2. I think the red sox farm is better than the rangers farm. Take away their catching their probably not in the top 6 or 7. Ther red sox have a lot of high ceiling guys in Lars anderson, Daniel Bard, Tejada, and Buchholz(if you consider him a prospect) also they are the best in the buisness when it comes to international signings.
    You do realize that Salty is not considered in the prospect ratings?

Neither is Bucholz. And Texas might actually have a better Latin American Program than Bos.

Lars might not make the top 20.... Texas will be a 1 or 1a with Oakland, with Bos fighting for the 8-12 range....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laxtonto View Post
    You do realize that Salty is not considered in the prospect ratings?

Neither is Bucholz. And Texas might actually have a better Latin American Program than Bos.

Lars might not make the top 20.... Texas will be a 1 or 1a with Oakland, with Bos fighting for the 8-12 range....
    I agree that Texas is a better farm system then Boston, but let's not overlook the fact that a very good portion of their young prospects have been acquired from trades and not from their own scouting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    I agree that Texas is a better farm system then Boston, but let's not overlook the fact that a very good portion of their young prospects have been acquired from trades and not from their own scouting.
    This started off as a quick reply, and as i researched the Texas system I was rather surprised in not only the depth but also the diversity on where all these guys came from.

Go look at Texas lower minors more closely. You will be rather surprised to see how many international 17, 18, an 19 year olds played in Texas's Low A, SS and Rookie ball leagues, which If I remember correctly 2 of the 3 made the playoffs.

The Texas minor league affiliates where the youngest total in all of baseball and youngest per level in SS A and A ball, 2nd in high A and 3rd in Rookie ball. They have EXTREMLEY young teams in the low levels that are mostly international signees and HS draftees.

Texas has decided to spend heavily in Latin America (which used to be the norm for Texas, but they got away from), especially in Venezuela and the DR. Texas signed 8 players for 6 figure bonuses this last signing period (just missing out on Iona as well) ,compared to Boston with 2, with a similar number the last 2 years prior.

They seem to have initially only been a quantity over quality approach but have funneled in even more money into the international market the last 2 years. There has been a definite shift on has Texas goes about things both in Latin America and now in the Pacific Rim.

Add that to having very good drafts (BA #1 this years, #2 last year, top 10 in 06) the last 3 years and Texas seemingly always having supplemental picks. Texas has been, more than anything else, willing to open the wallet on the talent they pick. The only strange thing was they passed over Porcello, but everyone has a ceiling I guess.

And as far as a percentage of good prospect for Texas acquired in trade, Holland, Smoak, Teagarden, and maybe Borbon and Hurley (doubtful, was last year though) will be on BA's top 100 with the traded for Feliz ,Andrus and Ramirez. It is hard to find fault with the Texas system except for the lack of an impact bat at 3rd and maybe power in the COF postions.

From what it looks like some of the guys in Texas 11-20 could find their way into some teams top 5. Depth like that can't be built by the Texeria, Lofton and Gagne deals. Hell, Engel Beltre, who just missed last years Boston top 10 and this years BA top 100, won't make Texas top 10.

Sorry to go a little overboard, but the quick research took on a life of its own. Needless to say the Texas 2009 minor league class might not even be as good as the 2010 group depending on Feliz and Holland. Texas is super deep, and I am amazed on how many guys they have that would be argued over for teams top 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sportfan6197 View Post
    the rays obviously have the best farm, with the A's at #2. I think the red sox farm is better than the rangers farm. Take away their catching their probably not in the top 6 or 7. Ther red sox have a lot of high ceiling guys in Lars anderson, Daniel Bard, Tejada, and Buchholz(if you consider him a prospect) also they are the best in the buisness when it comes to international signings.
    ehhh say what? Please check those farm systems again and take a look at the depth and total talent sitting in texas. That place is crazy packed with good arms and bats.
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laxtonto View Post

Add that to having very good drafts (BA #1 this years, #2 last year, top 10 in 06) the last 3 years and Texas seemingly always having supplemental picks. Texas has been, more than anything else, willing to open the wallet on the talent they pick. The only strange thing was they passed over Porcello, but everyone has a ceiling I guess.

And as far as a percentage of good prospect for Texas acquired in trade, Holland, Smoak, Teagarden, and maybe Borbon and Hurley (doubtful, was last year though) will be on BA's top 100 with the traded for Feliz ,Andrus and Ramirez. It is hard to find fault with the Texas system except for the lack of an impact bat at 3rd and maybe power in the COF postions.

From what it looks like some of the guys in Texas 11-20 could find their way into some teams top 5. Depth like that can't be built by the Texeria, Lofton and Gagne deals. Hell, Engel Beltre, who just missed last years Boston top 10 and this years BA top 100, won't make Texas top 10.

Sorry to go a little overboard, but the quick research took on a life of its own. Needless to say the Texas 2009 minor league class might not even be as good as the 2010 group depending on Feliz and Holland. Texas is super deep, and I am amazed on how many guys they have that would be argued over for teams top 10.

Wow i'm glad to see you took the time to respond, I learned some things there that I didn't know about their depth. They are indeed very deep in young high ceiling prospects at their lower levels.

As for the Red Sox, they have sort of backed off a bit in Latin American countries, especially the DR and Venezuela, part of that can be credited to the firing of our Latin American scouting director who was caught giving out illegal signing bonuses.

As for the last few years though, don't sell Boston short in terms of getting young talent. Future's game MVP Che Hsuan Lin appears to be an absolute steal from Taiwan. Another Taiwan native, Chih-Hsien Chiang also looks to be promising. We have also expanded to the land down under by getting the power hitting 1st basemen, Boss Moanaroa .

Although our current team doesn't compose of too many guys from Latin America don't forget about some of the top international talent that we have traded away in recent years such as Hanley, Anibal Sanchez, Harvey Garcia, Jesus Delgado, Willy Mota, Luis Sumoza and Engel Beltre (there's a few more im fogetting). Not to mention our current prospects Almanzar, Navarro, Diaz, Tejada, Pimentel, Doubront, Alvarez, and the most recent Perez. Our system is among the best at scouting and developing international talent.

As for the Engel Beltre comment, he was NEVER close to being a Red Sox top 10 prospect, hell at the time he was traded he was borderline top 25 in our system with even Oscar Tejeda being better. Texas does have their share of excellent prospects to boast, no doubt about that. I like their self developed top talents such as Holland, Smoak, Teagarden, Borbon and Hurley but it's not like these are talent level guys that Boston hasn't produced. It is sort of unfair to compare current farm's though, the Rangers only top prospect who has become uneligible since last year is Chris Davis, Boston lost it's top 4 prospects (2 of whom were ranked in the top 15) in Buchholz, Ellsubury, Masterson and Lowrie.

Again by no means am I saying that the Red Sox current farm is at quite the same level as Texas as I believe them to have the best farm in all of baseball outside of the Athletics but Boston is no slouch either, looking at the talent they have produced and are continuing to produce, not too many teams (especially not successful ones) can quite say the same things with the exception of a select few. For a high market powerhouse like most believe us to be, I would say our greatest power comes from the ability to quality MLB talent from within the organization.
    Last edited by quiksilver2491; 11-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.

vCash
    I voted for the Top 3:

1. Rays
    2. Rangers (pretty close behind)
    3. Red Sox

with the Yankees, A's, and Pirates very close behind the Sox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yaowowrocket11 View Post
    I voted for the Top 3:

1. Rays
    3. Red Sox

A's are wayyyyy ahead of the Sox and most believe that they are better than the Rays too.

vCash
    I voted for the Top 3:

1. Rays
    3. Red Sox

No Oakland or SF?

Baseball America has pretty admitted to its top 1 and 2 and for the most part which teams are going to 3-5....

Lets not forget with TB that they have lost guys such as #2 Longoria, #15 McGee had TJ and may be back at the mid point next season, #59 Desmond Jennings lost his season to injury, and #39 Reid Brignac has not met exceptions. The pluses for TB is they still have David Price and Wade Davis and a ton of younger prospects and this years #1 pick Tim Beckham.

It is going to real hard for TB to maintain a top 5 spot after attrition and injuries with the leaps and bounds made by teams such as SF, Oak, Atl, Balt and surprisingly challenges from Stl, Col, LAD and KC.

vCash
    I voted for the Top 3:

1. Rays
    3. Red Sox

you are way over-rating the red sox right now even the fish have a better system then the red sox do currently.

A's and SF with Rangers are the top 3, Rays right up near there despite their graduations (best pitching prospect easily in baseball in price).
    "Joe Montana was a product of a system, Dan Marino was a system" -- Bill Walsh

vCash
    BA TB Chat......

Q: Jon from Peoria asks:
    The Rangers and A's systems are thought to be the top two right now in baseball. Do you think the Rays would be next after those?
    A:

Bill Ballew: They're definitely in the neighborhood, particularly when you consider the amount of depth found in the Rays organization from 1-40. In my opinion, they're easily in the top six.

vCash
    1. Rays,
    2. Marlins.
    3. Giants

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaRRySandAmaN View Post
    Really????? I dont know if I would put them ahead of the Brewers.... I see no love for the Brewers. Look at the Farm down there then go and vote again. There is so much talent down there it is crazy, Jack Zduriencik is one of the best evaluators of talent in the game.
    look at the yanks down low in the system its frightning... kelvin de leon, arodys viscaino, abe almonte, brakman, romine, betances... the list goes on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beast montero View Post
    look at the yanks down low in the system its frightning... kelvin de leon, arodys viscaino, abe almonte, brakman, romine, betances... the list goes on
    I think I would take the Rangers or SF low minors....

vCash
    You can't get much better than the Rangers in the minors right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LetsGoA's View Post
    The A's with the sacramento river cats AAA and stockton ports A giving the business this year its easy to see who dominates minor league baseball.
    Yeah, but their other AAA team (Oakland) needs work.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast