Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is McCain making the Giuliani mistake?

Everybody remembers Rudy. The former mayor of NY who ran on the basis that he had one good day in office. Sadly, it was no doubt the worst day since Pearl Harbor for the rest of us.

Now comes along John McCain, intent on selling fear that Islamic extremism is the single biggest threat to our, what? Yes, Virginia, our economy. McCain might have said oil or gubment spending or taxes or too many workers earning an unlivable wage or the predatory lending of banks that created the housing bubble. But nooooooooooo, McCain says the biggest threat to our economy is Islamic extremism.

"I would think that the absolute gravest threat is the struggle that we're in against radical Islamic extremism, which can affect, if they prevail, our very existence."
    http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/carpenter/140

So the reason your's or your neighbor's house is in foreclosure is Islamic extremism. It has nothing to do with predatory lending practices. Yeah, okay.

vCash
    Um...

While I see where you're coming from, you're missing McCain's point here.

While I'm not saying I agree, McCain's idea is "try getting a better job or house if islam takes over and wins the war on terror and you die in a burning building."

Is that the biggest threat to most people? Many are more concerned with their kids, job, house, etc. But that's McCain's point from what I gather
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Who cares? Different things are more important to others than other things. To one it might be education. To another, war on terror. To another, financial stability. To another, healthcare. This is what makes them all different.

No point in complaining about it, just embrace what each has in common with you, if you can look past the party line and vote for whom you feel will lead the country in the best direction, even if it's not the exact order of importance that you personally believe it should be.

After all, the job of the president is to make the country as a whole stronger, and with so many people with so many different beliefs, his last concern should be to make it better for any specific individual, but for all people as a whole.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    well said.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    Who cares?
    Anybody who thinks that the president should have a basic understanding of WTF he's talking about, cares. Especially after 8 years of Arbusto Bush.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Anybody who thinks that the president should have a basic understanding of WTF he's talking about, cares. Especially after 8 years of Arbusto Bush.
    While I don't personally agree with McCain that Islamic Extremists are the most important topic. I respect that he feels that way and his reasoning behind it.

As Blender point out... if extremist took over, it wouldn't matter about Education, Health Care, Stock Market, etc.. it'd all be gone.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Do I infer correctly that you imply I don't respect McCain? If so, how is commenting on a stupid statement lack of respect. Shouldn't McCain respect me and all other voters by at least getting his facts remotely, I mean within a scant chance of probability right?

The next president will face at minimum a near $500 billion dollar deficit. How is McCain to finance his wars?

Even McCain's suggestion that Islamic extremists could somehow conquer America is ludicrous. When we fall, it won't be in a day or a week or a month.

vCash
    The next president will face at minimum a near $500 billion dollar deficit. How is McCain to finance his wars?
    The same way Obama would finance them, and his national health care plan...

tunnel deeper into debt.

vCash
    If you are going to come into this Election 2008 Forum and debate with people, try not to pull a Rush and twist my words. I neither said nor implied you did not respect him. I said, "I respect that he feels that way". I don't agree with him, but it's his opinion and I can not take that from him.

(For the record, for since you are to self-focused to grasp this.. I, and not only this instance but also in the English language as a whole, stands for Me, not you).

You on the other hand wish to degrade him simply because it's not what you believe to be the most important topic. Until you can learn to properly read a post for what it's worth at face value, I have no doubt you will never understand how a topic is important to someone even if not to you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    If you are going to come into this Election 2008 Forum and debate with people, try not to pull a Rush and twist my words. I neither said nor implied you did not respect him. I said, "I respect that he feels that way". I don't agree with him, but it's his opinion and I can not take that from him.

(For the record, for since you are to self-focused to grasp this.. I, and not only this instance but also in the English language as a whole, stands for Me, not you).

You on the other hand wish to degrade him simply because it's not what you believe to be the most important topic. Until you can learn to properly read a post for what it's worth at face value, I have no doubt you will never understand how a topic is important to someone even if not to you.
    Thank you for proving I did infer your original post correctly. As far as respecting McCain the person I can and do. I do not respect stupidity in a candidate for president.

Now, can you show by some evidence that Islamic extremism is single greatest threat to our economy? C'mon and show your respect for McCain by defending his statement that Islamic extremism is the greatest threat to our economy. How be you start by explaining the impact of Islamic extremism on our single largest trade relationship with Canada. Well....
    Last edited by moonman; 07-29-2008 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    The same way Obama would finance them, and his national health care plan...

tunnel deeper into debt.
    Obama has already said he will institute the same "pay as we go" budget policy of that great fiscal conservative Bill Clinton. He has also said he will raise taxes on the rich and lower taxes for the middle class.

Where do you get "tunnel deeper into debt" out of that?

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    the economy is always a important issue... and when people get bored they think of other things that should be "fixed".

but i think people forget the importance of security because its been 7 years since 9/11 (where does the time go?)... but there is still stuff going on in Europe, japan, china and more... and i imagine if we get hit... terrorism will be a top issue again.. its only getting the back burner cause nothing happened and people are sick of hearing about it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Obama has already said he will institute the same "pay as we go" budget policy of that great fiscal conservative Bill Clinton. He has also said he will raise taxes on the rich and lower taxes for the middle class.

Where do you get "tunnel deeper into debt" out of that?
    Yes. And Mccain has talked about reducing spending, and whatnot.

I get "tunnel deeper into debt" out of that, because they will be unable to "pay as they go" if they do lower taxes. And we are already at what? Almost a 500 billion dollar deficit, and how many trillions in debt?

Even if he is able to "pay as we go" on his national health care plan (which won't happen)...we'd still be in massive debt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    the economy is always a important issue... and when people get bored they think of other things that should be "fixed".

but i think people forget the importance of security because its been 7 years since 9/11 (where does the time go?)... but there is still stuff going on in Europe, japan, china and more... and i imagine if we get hit... terrorism will be a top issue again.. its only getting the back burner cause nothing happened and people are sick of hearing about it
    What does that have to do with what McCain said? That there so far is nobody who can offer any evidence supporting McCain's idear that Islamic extremism is the single greatest threat to our economy, indicates just how stupid McCain's idear actually is.

vCash
    Moon ... you're turning rogue. You've even turned on people that tend to be on your "side," per se.

Look, we respect McCain, his service, etc. But, we also respect the man's opinion (and his right to his opinion). It's an American right. You're more than welcome to disagree with McCain's opinion all you want -- and everybody else's as well.

If McCain wants to believe that Islamic Extremism is the biggest threat to our economy ... or the biggest threat to our way of life, period ... then so be it. Hey, if the man wants to believe that little green martians are the biggest threat to our way of life, and that we should invade Mars - that's his perogative.

I can disagree with him ... but I'll be showing it at my polling place. I generally disagree with McCain -- just as I sometimes disagree with Obama. But, to berate other PSD members who have the right to their own opinion (which generally align with your own - and have agreed with you on multiple levels) is absurd.

I'm sorry. I disagree with your tactics.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast