Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

President with No Military Experience

I dont think it should be needed but it gives a better understanding when your deciding what to do during war time. You have been in the same situation as the soldiers you are in command of, and they will also respect you more. Notice how the soldiers like McCain a ton more then Obama, its not a coincidence because Obama never served.

These are the only past Presidents with no military experience

John Adams
    Thomas Jefferson
    John Quincy Adams
    Martin Van Buren
    Grover Cleveland
    William Taft
    Woodrow Wilson
    Warren Harding
    Calvin Coolidge
    Herbert Hoover
    Franklin Roosevelt
    Bill Clinton

Some good ones, but a couple who were just horrible

vCash
    And yet the ones with the most military experience have also been a mixed bag (Grant, Jackson, Polk, etc.).

What's your point?
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    I thought this was going to be a pointless bashing thread like 90% of the other threads being made in the EC2008 forum.

It's refreshing to see that it's not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaBeastley View Post
    You have been in the same situation as the soldiers you are in command of, and they will also respect you more.
    My point

vCash
    Notice how the soldiers like McCain a ton more then Obama, its not a coincidence because Obama never served.
    I'm not convinced that the soldiers like Mccain "a ton more"

I saw a clip of Obama meeting some soldiers, and they seemed really excited to meet him.

vCash
    I still don't see how that proves you'll be a better president.

The goal of a president shouldn't be to enter office to wage war. It should be to enter office to better the country. And that involves a whole lot more than just raw belligerancy.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I'm not convinced that the soldiers like Mccain "a ton more"

I saw a clip of Obama meeting some soldiers, and they seemed really excited to meet him.
    Either way, does that make him a better potential president? I can't imagine a scenario in which Obama (or McCain) tries to pass an economic stimulus but since the soldiers don't like him as much as McCain (or Obama), Congress refuses to work with him.

vCash
    I still don't see how that proves you'll be a better president.
    It doesn't.

Either way, does that make him a better potential president?
    No.

vCash
    I may be wrong here (I don't think I am, otherwise I wouldn't post) ... but Lincoln didn't have any military experience, either, did he?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Lincoln didn't serve in the military.

eta: I investi-googled this, and apparently he was captain of an illinois militia at some point.
    Last edited by gcoll; 07-29-2008 at 01:25 AM.

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    i am a military vet and while i think it is a helpful attribute, i dont think it a MUST have when running for president

vCash
    Like I said its not a must but it helps because if your boss had the same job you have now he can give better insight

vCash
    Of course a president has a few other responsibilities to say the least. And if he's intelligent enough to select the best advisors and listen to them, he can benefit from all of their years of experience.

vCash
    Let's be fair.. the President doesn't blindly make calls on war issues.. It's why he surrounds himself with tons of military personel. It's why the VP is so connected through the Pentagon. It's why Generals go in and out of the white house like it's a 7-11.

I could create a list of presidents that did serve and the ones who did poorly would probably be the same ratio as in the list you provided.

Former military experience does not offer any helpful use in being President. Bush's experience was that of the Air National Guard in which he did absolutely nothing.

Some of the best presidents in our history are in the list of Non-Military that you provided..

John Adams
    Thomas Jefferson
    John Quincy Adams
    Woodrow Wilson
    Warren Harding (he had a high rating, but considered to be a bad president, even tho he ended WW1, also created the Dept. of Veteran Affairs -- not bad for a non-military man)
    Franklin Roosevelt
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!