Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

McCain says he could support 16-month Iraq timetable

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain could support a 16-month timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, he told CNN's Larry King Monday night.

But the presumptive Republican presidential nominee said he would only do that if military chiefs deemed the "conditions on the ground" safe enough.

Speaking from Bakersfield, California, the Arizona senator said he would not stick to a "hard and firm date" suggested by Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

"Now whether that fits into 16 months or not, or one month, or whatever, the point is it's got to be conditions-based," he added, saying that's the point Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Iraq, "is trying to get over as we go into this political season."

Asked whether he would support an invasion of Iraq again, McCain responded: "The fact that Saddam Hussein was bent on acquiring weapons of mass destruction. ... I think we did the right thing."

"I think that it was a colossal intelligence failure on the part of the United States and every other county as to whether he had them or not," he said.

McCain acknowledged that he initially predicted an "easy victory."
    cnn

So first he copies Obama's Afghanistan policy, now...
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    third time's a charm? Might want to merge this with the other timetable threads.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash
    ok this ones im genuinely not following...

im sure i heard months ago that mccain would pull the troops out if the situation on the ground supported it. and by him saying we could be there 100 years from now, im sure he meant the way we are in korea and japan... not 100 years of war.

and im sure i heard over a year ago that obama wanted a flat out withdrawal plan.. no questions asked.. winning or losing obama wanted out... but now hes saying the same as mccain.. a timetable only if it is ok with the ground forces

now.. both of them are saying that they support a withdrawal if the situation on the ground called for it...

so how is mccain following obama?

partisanship aside, this one i really think should be obvious....

vCash
    This is one of those, "tell them what they want to hear" things. This is a flat out lie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    ok this ones im genuinely not following...

im sure i heard months ago that mccain would pull the troops out if the situation on the ground supported it. and by him saying we could be there 100 years from now, im sure he meant the way we are in korea and japan... not 100 years of war.

and im sure i heard over a year ago that obama wanted a flat out withdrawal plan.. no questions asked.. winning or losing obama wanted out... but now hes saying the same as mccain.. a timetable only if it is ok with the ground forces

now.. both of them are saying that they support a withdrawal if the situation on the ground called for it...

so how is mccain following obama?

partisanship aside, this one i really think should be obvious....
    Alright so McCain always strictly said to follow the facts on the ground. But now that Maliki says 16 months, so does McCain. Obama always said 16 months. But now he's saying 16 months following the facts on the ground.

They both converged towards one another.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information