Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    gcoll, for someone who doesn't vote you sure spend a helluva lot of time in an election forum.
    I am interested in politics, and I am very interested in the upcoming election.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I am interested in politics, and I am very interested in the upcoming election.
    When you say "I don't vote" does that also mean you won't be voting for anybody for president this year? I mean, I can understand being interested in politics in general/this election in particular on, for example, some kind of academic/intellectual level so that you don't necessarily feel a personal connection or the need to "do" anything about it. But I would be pretty surprised, given the amount of time and energy you've invested in the discussions in this forum, if you didn't find your way to a polling place this November. Ultimately, if not for election day, this forum has little reason for existing.

For me, taking part in this forum is enjoyable (sometimes ) because I do just like politics, but the bottom line is that it all culminates in my vote. Even if I've already decided who I'm voting for (and I have, obviously), when I do cast my vote I'll feel better about it knowing that I'll understand the candidates' strengths and weaknesses, the things to be hopeful of, the things to be wary of, etc., and my own beliefs and ideas about things will have been better challenged, by having participated in this forum. So I like political discussion for its own sake, but in the end the main point is the vote.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    i often wonder the same thing

-a younger guy in a suit who has managed to take advantage of an unpopular predsident by reading a script handed to him in an eloquent manner..
    -but as jefferson once said.... "a governement big enought to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everythign you have"

-or an old guy who really isnt conservative at all

and no im not old enough to vote

vCash
    But I would be pretty surprised, given the amount of time and energy you've invested in the discussions in this forum, if you didn't find your way to a polling place this November.
    If I had someone I really wanted to vote for, I would go vote.

But there is nobody running this time around. I kind of want to vote "None of the above"....

I don't want to cast a vote AGAINST someone, choosing the lesser of two evils.

Also. I don't know what I'm talking about. This idea came about in a conversation with my little brother. They were showing some clip of "The View" where they were talking about politics. And I mocked them somehow...and my little brother asked how we were any different. And I didn't have an answer. Nobody really knows what they are talking about.

I have no idea what Obama's economic plans will do to the economy. I have no idea what Mccain's would. I have no idea what Obama's stance on trade would do, or Mccain's stance on Social Security...or anything like that.

And the overall debate (even on this forum) is so dumbed down, and non-specific...that it can get really annoying.

It's like if someone had cancer. And then they asked a crowd of onlookers what to do, instead of asking some qualified medical professionals. And then the people who have no idea what they are talking about, start arguing. It's silly.

Even if I've already decided who I'm voting for (and I have, obviously)
    Ron Paul 08?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
    by reading a script handed to him
    Who do you think handed Obama a script? Where did you even get this notion from?

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    ^ like the holiday inn express commercials

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Who do you think handed Obama a script? Where did you even get this notion from?
    im pretty sure obama doesnt sit around writting his own speeches. he may have some input, but thats about it.... Just look at him when he is asked a question on the spot.... its like he is dumbfounded and not really sure how to answer it

vCash
    i often wonder the same thing

-a younger guy in a suit who has managed to take advantage of an unpopular predsident by reading a script handed to him in an eloquent manner..
    -but as jefferson once said.... "a governement big enought to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everythign you have"

-or an old guy who really isnt conservative at all

and no im not old enough to vote

i dont think a "real" conservative could ever be elected president again. People expect too much out of the goverenment these days for that to happen.

vCash
    im pretty sure obama doesnt sit around writting his own speeches. he may have some input, but thats about it.... Just look at him when he is asked a question on the spot.... its like he is dumbfounded and not really sure how to answer it
    Obama, at least as of the publishing of this article, seems to have 3 main speechwriters, the lead guy who's 26, another 26-year-old, and a 30-year-old:

What Would Obama Say?
    By ASHLEY PARKER

AT the Radisson Hotel in Nashua, N.H., Jon Favreau sipped Diet Coke and munched on carrot sticks and crackers to pass the time. His boss, Senator Barack Obama, wandered in and out of the room.

Finally, results from the New Hampshire Democratic primary started coming in, surprising everyone. Hillary Clinton was pulling past Senator Obama, who had won the Iowa caucuses only five days earlier.

Mr. Favreau, the campaign’s 26-year-old head speechwriter, found himself in the hotel lounge with less than three hours to revise what was to have been a victory speech. What made it particularly strange was that his words were being challenged. Mrs. Clinton had helped turn her campaign around by discounting Mr. Obama’s elegant oratory, saying, “You campaign in poetry, but you govern in prose.”

“To be honest,” Mr. Favreau said, “the first time I really stopped to think about how it felt was when he started giving the speech. I looked around at the senior staff, and they were all smiling. And I looked around the room and thought, ‘This is going to be O.K.’ ”

Mr. Favreau, or Favs, as everyone calls him, looks every bit his age, with a baby face and closely shorn stubble. And he leads a team of two other young speechwriters: 26-year-old Adam Frankel, who worked with John F. Kennedy’s adviser and speechwriter Theodore C. Sorensen on his memoirs, and Ben Rhodes, who, at 30, calls himself the “elder statesman” of the group and who helped write the Iraq Study Group report as an assistant to Lee H. Hamilton.

Together they are working for a politician who not only is known for his speaking ability but also wrote two best-selling books and gave the much-lauded keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

“You’re like Ted Williams’s batting coach,” Mr. Favreau said.

But even Ted Williams needed a little help with his swing.
    nytimes

So to be on Obama's speech writing staff is like being Ted Williams' batting coach, or in other words Obama is perfectly capable of penning his own words and crafting his own message. And in fact, he's done both. At its center, his message is his own. Of course he (like all politicians) has enormous input from advisors/experts on specific issues/media people/etc. But basically it's untrue to say that "his script was handed to him".

Ron Paul 08?
    Mike Gravel.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    If I had someone I really wanted to vote for, I would go vote.

But there is nobody running this time around. I kind of want to vote "None of the above"....

I don't want to cast a vote AGAINST someone, choosing the lesser of two evils.
    I see where gcoll is coming from. It's frustrating to vote for who you dislike the least. I don't like either candidate.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    The reason both candidates suck, is because this is a democracy, and the public sucks.
    Yes.

I don't take my opinion seriously at all.

It's why I don't vote.
    I agree with you there. Where I live the same freaking people win everything and about 90% of the time I can tell you who is gonna win most elections and a majority of them by landslide so why the hell even vote.

A big issue is that the president of the United States is always gonna be someone thats had alot of money and power. People that have had alot of money and power more than likely arent gonna represent the biggest portion of the population.

vCash
    I'm still voting for Ron Paul. I refuse to dance to the Media's beat and chose another ****ty canidate.

vCash
    this entire election will be the greatest tragedy on American soil since 9/11, who ever wins, we lose.

I am voting for Batman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12