Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What is the most disappointing move the Blackhawks have done this off season?

What is the most disappointing move the Blackhawks have done this off season?

vCash
    So far, the only thing i can say that i am mad about is that we havnt traded bulin yet and we dont have kopitar yet. both of which are not things to be mad about.

the hawks have had the best offseason by far of any team in the league. They started out by drafting beach and lalonde, two guys that fell far from where their talent was position-wise. then they signed the best defender and best goalie in the FA market. Then to top it off, they threw the fan convention in there all while announcing the winter classic to be held at wrigley.

no complaints on this end!

vCash
    I don't think that you can really include Kopitar in the most disappointing moves of the offseason, as that isnt really fair to the Blackhawks to say. If it was, then I suppose you could say that about all the other 29 teams in the league who don't have Kopitar on their roster.
    I do agree that not trading Khabibulin right now is a disappointment. If we don't trade Khabibulin, then I think the Huet signing turns into a bad one. I think it is a great one if we trade Khabibulin though. If we get rid of Khabi we would get under the cap by about 4 million (after all, whoever our backup goalie is would now count against the cap) and we can afford to go after some cheap help in the 1 - 2million dollar range to fill in the third line or open up a trade.
    If the Blackhawks have Khabibulin to start the year, it will be a major disappointment in my mind.

vCash
    If we are saying the one they HAVEN'T done, I would say the Kopitar and Khabibulin thing. I would also add that the fact that Eager is still on the roster is a HUGE disappointment to me.

The only move I have a gripe with is the St. Pierre deal. Not because I don't think we should a have traded, but because we probably could have used him in a package deal down the road.

vCash
    I really didnt understand the St Pierre deal but its really nothing to complain about. The Hawks are going to have to dump some salary somewhere in order to be below the cap but the question is where? Khabby is the obvious deal but if they were able to somehow keep him and trade him at the deadline, I think theyd get more in return for him but I dont think theyll be able to do that.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    The Martin St. Pierre deal makes perfect sense when you look at it. It is two clubs who were dealing with players that were RFA's and obviously weren't getting anywhere with them so they traded them. Martin St. Pierre is an AHL lifer, he will never make an impact in the NHL and he can only play on a 1st or 2nd line in the AHL because he doesn't have the style to play on a third or fourth, meaning Martin St. Pierre will never be in the NHL because he cannot play on the 3rd or 4th line in the NHL and will never be good enough for the 1st or 2nd. There was no way that we were going to have St. Pierre in a large package down the road because noone values him highly.

I still do not get how anyone can say not getting Kopitar is a disappointment. Just because there was a rumor out there and we don't have him shouldnt make it a disappointment, it was a rumor, take it with a grain of salt. I guess then I am disappointed that the Blackhawk's havent gotten Malkin, Ovechkin, or Luongo. It just makes no sense in how anyone can be disappointed in not having Kopitar. Sure I would love him on the team, as I would Ovechkin, Malkin and any superstar, but they are other teams studs and just because we don't have them doesn't mean we should be disappointed in the Blackhawks for not getting them.

In regards to Ben Eager. If Eager isn't on the roster, who takes over on the fourth line for him? Right now there is noone on the team or in the system that can fill a fourth line role. I think Eager will surprise a lot of people. He is a big guy who knows his role on the team but also is very good on his feet and doesn't have cement blocks for hands. I suppose you can say if we dump eager we can sign a guy like Kevyn Adams or Marti Lapointe or another 4th liner out there. I think having Eager on our 4th line is a good thing and I would rather see him stay than go.

Even though the Blackhawks could possibly trade Khabi at the trade deadline and get more back for him, I think overall it would be a worse move than getting rid of him now. If we trade him at the deadline that means we traded someone else in the summer to get under the cap. That means we will have less cap room because everyone makes a lot less than Khabi (Except Havlat who I don't see going anywhere in the summer). Which means that we lost out on signing a 1 - 2 million dollar role player, possibly a veteran presence.
    I think trading Khabi in the summer is a wiser move than waiting and taking our chances at the deadline.
    Last edited by Boom!; 07-27-2008 at 09:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    I don't think that you can really include Kopitar in the most disappointing moves of the offseason, as that isnt really fair to the Blackhawks to say. If it was, then I suppose you could say that about all the other 29 teams in the league who don't have Kopitar on their roster.
    I do agree that not trading Khabibulin right now is a disappointment. If we don't trade Khabibulin, then I think the Huet signing turns into a bad one. I think it is a great one if we trade Khabibulin though. If we get rid of Khabi we would get under the cap by about 4 million (after all, whoever our backup goalie is would now count against the cap) and we can afford to go after some cheap help in the 1 - 2million dollar range to fill in the third line or open up a trade.
    If the Blackhawks have Khabibulin to start the year, it will be a major disappointment in my mind.

Exactly, i was being sarcastic when i said that. i was just trying to emphasize the fact that we have yet to make any bad moves this summer. And that the only disappointments are hypothetical rumors that someone just made up.

vCash
    Nothing to gripe about for me. I would have liked bulin to be gone, and maybe package him with St. Pierre if we hadn't traded him
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    I honestly dont think that Kopitar deal was really there. I think it was that Eklund guy starting rumors again. But ya most disappointing thing is not trading Khabi yet.

vCash
    I wouldnt call not trading Khabby is a disappointment yet. There is still a lot of time and several teams are interested. Im sure as soon as Tallon finds the right deal, hell pull the trigger right away. Any Cubs fans here? Look at Hendry, hes real patient and look at the job hes done.

vCash
    If the Blackhawks don't trade Khabibulin by the start of preseason, it will be a disappointment. That basically takes a year off of Huet's contract and makes his signing useless to us, regardless if he is the starter or not. I have no problem with the Blackhawks being patient and waiting for things to fall into place, just it better happen within the next few months here.

vCash
    If the Blackhawks don't trade Khabibulin by the start of preseason, it will be a disappointment. That basically takes a year off of Huet's contract and makes his signing useless to us, regardless if he is the starter or not. I have no problem with the Blackhawks being patient and waiting for things to fall into place, just it better happen within the next few months here.
    By trading Khabby at the deadline does not make Huet useless. If hes our starting goalie in the playoffs then he will be plenty useful. Even if Khabby isnt traded, Huet makes the Hawks even better. Having the combo of Khabby and Huet (which I dont want) can be very dangerous. Both of them would see the same amount of playing time and would be rested before each start. I dont want it to happen but it wouldnt be the end of the world.

vCash
    If the Blackhawks don't trade Khabibulin that means they have to free up cap space another way. That means trading a Barker, Lang, Havlat, guys who have decent contracts and not getting a roster player in return, because we would still be close to the cap and would have to fill in their role with a guy from our system because we can't afford to trade those guys for other top six forwards or top d-men because that wouldn't solve our cap problem. Khabibulin makes the most sense because we have 2 goalies ready to step in and backup Huet and because he takes the most salary off of the cap. I honestly think that Khabibulin needs to be traded and I sure hope he will before preseason. After all, you can't play Khabibulin and Huet at the same time, so its no use to us having both of them, however you can play Barker, Havlat, Lang all at the same time, just tossin that out there. You only need one goalie but you need 4 lines of forwards and 3 of defensemen.

vCash
    If the Blackhawks don't trade Khabibulin that means they have to free up cap space another way. That means trading a Barker, Lang, Havlat, guys who have decent contracts and not getting a roster player in return, because we would still be close to the cap and would have to fill in their role with a guy from our system because we can't afford to trade those guys for other top six forwards or top d-men because that wouldn't solve our cap problem. Khabibulin makes the most sense because we have 2 goalies ready to step in and backup Huet and because he takes the most salary off of the cap. I honestly think that Khabibulin needs to be traded and I sure hope he will before preseason. After all, you can't play Khabibulin and Huet at the same time, so its no use to us having both of them, however you can play Barker, Havlat, Lang all at the same time, just tossin that out there. You only need one goalie but you need 4 lines of forwards and 3 of defensemen.
    yes you can use both Khabby and Huet.

See the Detroit Redwings' Osgood and Hasek....look how that turned out.

vCash
    Yes you can use two goalies, but not two who have the contracts that the Blackhawks goalies have. Also, in regards to Osgood and Hasek, there was no doubt going into last year that Hasek was their goalie. He fell apart and Osgood picked up their slack. Yes it turned out well, but by the end of it they only had one goalie really and that was Osgood. My point is that you can't use them both at the same time. It is like paying 12 million a year for 1 player, its outrageous. If we have Huet and Crawford for example, that would be like paying 6 million a year for a player...much better if you ask me. Because you know Huet, as any goaltender, isn't going to be playing all 82 games. If we can't trade Khabi then we are going to get weaker somewhere else. If we trade Khabi we don't get weaker, only stronger for the future, compared to trading Barker, Lang, Havlat where we would get weaker right away if we traded them because the guys brought up to take their place could not fill their shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast