Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Infiltrating Hippie Southwestern Command Center
    vCash

Enviromental question...

I posted this in the general discussion forum but didnt get a good answer. People in here seem a lil more bright so ill repost it here to get a real answer

"ok im not a expert on global warming... so ill ask smarter people...

i keep hearing that carbon dioxide is the bad guy here. and i dont know the amount of people in the world that actually have cars... but a 1997 report claimed that in that year, over 600 million motor vehicles existed in the world.... but they maybe drive a average of 1 hour a day... some people dont even drive some days but anyway.

and i know there are other chemicals in automotive exhaust but its the CO2 in the ice that is the proof and what gets most of the blame

so how is cars putting out more co2 than people breathing. i mean there are 6 billion people breathing 24 hours a day 7 days a week... how can we determine in the last 15-20 years that the increase of cars and other things are more dangerous than the mere fact that 6 billion people breathe 24/7"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Fluty View Post
    I posted this in the general discussion forum but didnt get a good answer. People in here seem a lil more bright so ill repost it here to get a real answer

"ok im not a expert on global warming... so ill ask smarter people...

i keep hearing that carbon dioxide is the bad guy here. and i dont know the amount of people in the world that actually have cars... but a 1997 report claimed that in that year, over 600 million motor vehicles existed in the world.... but they maybe drive a average of 1 hour a day... some people dont even drive some days but anyway.

and i know there are other chemicals in automotive exhaust but its the CO2 in the ice that is the proof and what gets most of the blame

so how is cars putting out more co2 than people breathing. i mean there are 6 billion people breathing 24 hours a day 7 days a week... how can we determine in the last 15-20 years that the increase of cars and other things are more dangerous than the mere fact that 6 billion people breathe 24/7"
    you're all over the place and wrong a lot.

First of all automobiles and combustion engines give off carbon monoxide and dioxide. and carbon emissions are overall to blame.

to sum it up people exhale carbon dioxide. plants, oceans, etc take in and absorb it back into the earth. I won't get into too much detail, but the oceans deposit it into the ocean floor and is recycled, so to speak, through plate techtonics. plants store it die, decompose, turn into oil, coal, etc. the people/animals, plants, oceans etc. balance eachother out naturally. The problem comes in when people harvest these carbons in fossil fuels such as oil and coal, burn them and put the carbon back into the atmosphere. naturally this increases the amount of carbon in the atmosphere exponentially since it sets off the natural balance. the results of this are global warming, pollution, etc.

hopefully this simplifies how basic this science is. we are basically harvesting carbon unnaturally and dumping it into the atmosphere throwing things out of whack.
    Last edited by PHX-SOXFAN; 07-25-2008 at 04:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    you're all over the place and wrong a lot.

First of all automobiles and combustion engines give off carbon monoxide, not dioxide. and carbon emissions are overall to blame.

to sum it up people exhale carbon dioxide. plants, oceans, etc take in and absorb it back into the earth. I won't get into too much detail, but the oceans deposit it into the ocean floor and is recycled, so to speak, through plate techtonics. plants store it die, decompose, turn into oil, coal, etc. the people/animals, plants, oceans etc. balance eachother out naturally. The problem comes in when people harvest these carbons in fossil fuels such as oil and coal, burn them and put the carbon back into the atmosphere. naturally this increases the amount of carbon in the atmosphere exponentially since it sets off the natural balance. the results of this are global warming, pollution, etc.

hopefully this simplifies how basic this science is. we are basically harvesting carbon unnaturally and dumping it into the atmosphere throwing things out of whack.
    "Gore advised lawmakers to cut carbon dioxide"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17718399/

A centerpoint of the film (an inconvenient truth) is his examination of the annual temperature and CO2 levels for the past 650,000 years in Antarctic ice core samples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Inconvenient_Truth

In his speech, he did address what to do about coal, which is responsible for more than a third of the United States' carbon dioxide pollution, blamed as the chief culprit for global warming.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=213&sid=1441823

"About 33% of U.S carbon dioxide emissions comes from the burning of gasoline in internal-combustion engines of cars and light trucks (minivans, sport utility vehicles, pick-up trucks, and jeeps).US Emissions Inventory 2006 page 8"

http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_cse.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_cars_emit_carbon_dioxide

lol.. and i cant be "wrong" about a lot when i didnt assume anything.. i didnt make a conclusion.. i asked a question.. but anyway..i have a few more articles on this and nowhere do i see carbon monoxide as a problem...it seems its always carbon dioxide people screaming about
    Last edited by Doc Fluty; 07-25-2008 at 04:37 PM.

vCash

A centerpoint of the film (an inconvenient truth) is his examination of the annual temperature and CO2 levels for the past 650,000 years in Antarctic ice core samples.

In his speech, he did address what to do about coal, which is responsible for more than a third of the United States' carbon dioxide pollution, blamed as the chief culprit for global warming.

i have a few more articles on this and nowhere do i see carbon monoxide as a problem...it seems its always carbon dioxide people screaming about
    like I said, unnaturally harvesting and puttin gmore into the atmosphere. It's more than the earth can handle.

it's exponential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...on_Dioxide.png

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    like I said, unnaturally harvesting and puttin gmore into the atmosphere. It's more than the earth can handle.

it's exponential:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...on_Dioxide.png
    yes...but you also said "automobiles and combustion engines give off carbon monoxide, not dioxide"

but the rest of what you said makes sense (but i couldn't tell if you were wrong of not)

vCash
    yes...but you also said "automobiles and combustion engines give off carbon monoxide, not dioxide"

but the rest of what you said makes sense (but i couldn't tell if you were wrong of not)
    changed that I meant "and"

vCash
    It's not just cars. If you're looking for human causes of greenhouse gas build up in the atmosphere, you'll need to look at several types of gas: carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, ozone, water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide, and CFCs (the gas in spray cans).

I don't know what the percentages are, but I do know that those are the major greenhouse gases. Then to find out if there's a human cause, you'll have to compare the steady state natural levels of each gas to the current levels. I'm sure people have done that (like Al Gore perhaps???), but I'm not quite sure whom.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    ok ari.. i get that... but its always CO2 that gets the blame... just like in gores movie... the main proof he had was the co2 in the ice as evidence.

vCash
    One of my proudest personal moments was night I cut a fart so rank it made my wife pewk. We didn't measure it for greenhouse gases but she's convinced the melting of the polar ice caps is probably my fault

vCash

"About 33% of U.S carbon dioxide emissions comes from the burning of gasoline in internal-combustion engines of cars and light trucks (minivans, sport utility vehicles, pick-up trucks, and jeeps).US Emissions Inventory 2006 page 8"

http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_cse.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_cars_emit_carbon_dioxide

lol.. and i cant be "wrong" about a lot when i didnt assume anything.. i didnt make a conclusion.. i asked a question.. but anyway..i have a few more articles on this and nowhere do i see carbon monoxide as a problem...it seems its always carbon dioxide people screaming about
    Fail on the thread title, Fluty. It wasn't a question at all, it was just an excuse to get someone to respond so you could make this second post.

This is exactly what CG was talking about.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    dammit... i was asking a friking question... the only reason i even brought up the second post was cause PHX SAID that cars dont emit carbon dioxide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how the frick is that my fault PHX said that?

he made a statement.. i didnt get on him.. i responded with articles.. i dont yell or call names.. i didnt claim to be right, i didnt lash on him and come back with facts i couldnt back up, i didnt LACE HIM WITH PROPOGANDA.. and i only posted articles that said that cars emit carbon dioxide..they werent anti-global warming or anything....

besides artard... my second post only stated that cars emit co2... why would i make a post only to say that cars emit co2... EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!

anyway PHX corrected himself and i acknowledged it as he mistyped like he said he did

wasn't no big conspiracy geez.... get over yourself

its a simple dam question... why is co2 and cars and such getting all the blame when 6 billion people exhale co2 24/7?
    Last edited by Doc Fluty; 07-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.

vCash
    Okay, okay, relax.

It just seemed to me that you had a 2nd post there that was prepared and ready to go at the time you posted the question, since it looked so thoroughly researched and carefully put together - a little too much for 30 minutes.

But if you really did it on the fly, then my apologies - you're better and faster with the google than I am, though, that's for sure.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    apology accepted.

yes i did it on the fly.. it wasnt too hard.. just googled "do cars emit carbon dioxide"

in my business most of my work is done 5am to 12pm, so the rest of my day im online researching, paying bills, advertising and other stuff. but when im not i just surf... that's why i can come here and spend a half hour straight trying to find articles to help my points

vCash
    Global warming is the third liberal attempt to scare everyone into shifting from fossil fuels to new forms of energy.

Liberals tried acid rain first. This theory suggested toxic rain was going to kill everyone and pollute the world. When that scare tactic failed because it simply wasn't true, they moved onto the depletion of the ozone layer, which was ultimately proven false.

I guess the third times a charm.

I'm not against phasing in alternate forms of energy, but we need to drill in America during the implementation period.

I do not care for Al Gore telling me I have to conserve energy and drive around in a Toyota Prius, while he's flying around the world in his private jet and at the same time his energy bill for his home was over $30,000 last year.

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize for this ****?! I guess this is jsut another liberal example of do as I say and not as I do.

Fedor Fact #114:
    Fedor doesn't ride rollercoasters. Rollcoasters try to throw him off.

"The worst thing for me in the sport is when my friends lose in combat, the best thing in my life is my family and my daughter" - Fedor Emelianenko

SUPPORT AFFLICTION MMA, PLEASE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimura by Putin View Post
    Global warming is the third liberal attempt to scare everyone into shifting from fossil fuels to new forms of energy.

Liberals tried acid rain first. This theory suggested toxic rain was going to kill everyone and pollute the world. When that scare tactic failed because it simply wasn't true, they moved onto the depletion of the ozone layer, which was ultimately proven false.

I guess the third times a charm.

I'm not against phasing in alternate forms of energy, but we need to drill in America during the implementation period.

I do not care for Al Gore telling me I have to conserve energy and drive around in a Toyota Prius, while he's flying around the world in his private jet and at the same time his energy bill for his home was over $30,000 last year.

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize for this ****?! I guess this is jsut another liberal example of do as I say and not as I do.
    Wrong thread.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast