Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY

Jets Offseason: Best of the FA era?

I've heard some people say the Jets' offseason is the best of the free agent era. What do you guys think?

Their needs going into the offseason: LG, RT, QB, offensive playmaker, defensive playmaker, NT, get value for Vilma, nickel back, safety

Moves

Traded Jonathan Vilma for a 4th round pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd
    Traded a conditional pick for Brett Favre

Basically, through these two moves, they traded Vilma for Favre and a 4th. Favre probably won't cost them a 1st, so they traded a guy who didn't fit their system and would be gone in a year for a 4th and a great QB, ended the QB controversy as well

Drafted Dwight Lowery in the 4th round

Filled their need at NB

Traded a 3rd and a 5th for Kris Jenkins

Filled their need at NT

Signed Alan Faneca and Damien Woody

Filled their needs on the O-Line

Drafted Vernon Gholston, traded up for Dustin Keller

Got the playmakers they needed without losing future picks

The only need they didn't address was safety

Lost: Jonathan Vilma, Dewayne Robertson, Chad Pennington, Justin McCareins, Anthony Clement, conditional pick

Gained: Vernon Gholston and Calvin Pace (upgrades at OLB), Dustin Keller (upgrade from McCareins), Kris Jenkins (upgrade from Robertson), Damien Woody (upgrade from Clement), Alan Faneca (upgrade at LG), Brett Favre (upgrade at QB), Dwight Lowery, Tony Richardson, Bubba Franks, Marcus Henry, conditional pick

Thoughts? If it's not this one, what was a better offseason in your opinion?
    Last edited by jetsfan28; 08-07-2008 at 03:47 PM.

You had a great off season, I really love the moves. PM coming.

Definitely the best offseason in league history. They pretty much addressed every need, and did so by upgrading that position by a large amount. They really did not get too many small upgrades.

I wouldn't say best, but it was an absolutely GREAT offseason, if i was a Jets fan I'd be very pleased.

One of the best, but I don't think the best.

You guys should be happy, you guys basically went from a 5-6 win team to a 9-10 win team this offseason.

If you say it wasn't the best it would be good if you could provide which if any were better.

ask this after next year.
    Thank you Saints. i can watch TV again.

Welcome Nate Robinson to the Boston Celtics! I am one of the few who support this deal.

Please Patriots, no more CBA talks. I and the fans dont care. We want to win. Get this roster where it needs to be. NO excuses.

We couldnt sign a big hitter, so the Red Sox are all about De-Fense. Hope it works!

Boston Sports for Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsoxin09 View Post
    I wouldn't say best, but it was an absolutely GREAT offseason, if i was a Jets fan I'd be very pleased.
    Who did better than them? I know the Cowboys had some nice additions but I can't think of anybody that done better.

Very Very Nice Offseason

Quote Originally Posted by BTownTeamsRKing View Post
    ask this after next year.
    That's not part of the question. The question is if the Jets had the best offseason in history this year.

It was a very good offseason. Not quite the best. They filled their needs.

How about just too early to know. Year after year, Redskins fans said that when they tried to buy a team. After those regular seasons were over and the Redskins didn't do squat in the regular season, it's easy to look back and get your answer. If you're asking for a prediction, I'll definitely say not even close.

School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    Everyone keeps saying not the best, but no one's named one better. They added 7 potential starters, 4 more quality backups, and lost nothing of value except Vilma, who didn't fit their team.

Let me be the first to bring you back to reality. I have a few problems with the Jets offseason.

The first being, these moves are for many older players like Favre, Fanaca, Woody, Richardson... This is suggesting they plan to go to the SuperBowl very soon, most likely next year since that is realistically the only one Favre will play.

Do you really think this offseason has put them at the same talent level as the Chargers, Colts, Patriots, or Jaguars? And that's just in the AFC.

Also, look at the amount of money being shelled out... $40 mil for Fanaca; $42 mil for Pace; $35 mil for Jenkins; $25 mil for Woody; and a lot for Gholston simply because of his rookie contract.

over $150 million total... The only person they didn't overpay for was Jenkins, and thats provided he stays completely healthy (history suggests he won't).

If anything this ensures they have a decent to good year next year (8-8 or 9-7) then fall off big time when Favre retires/players break down. If anything they are delaying the rebuilding process, only their also adding over $150 million in payroll to do it.

I might see this as a better offseason if this team had more talent to begin with, but those players added to a 4-12 isn't enough to push it to 12-4 and a Superbowl...

It's hard to call it the best without seeing how it works out. They definitely filled there needs but only time will tell if it works out.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast