Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    they are both trying to play to their strenghts. Obama will be better in debates, McCain will be better in townhalls. The rules are already there for debates, why would obama offer to change them, that would be like giving up a home game to play on the road.
    How are debates and town halls different? Why do their strengths change, based on the venue?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    How are debates and town halls different? Why do their strengths change, based on the venue?
    townhalls are the candidates answering questions from individuals in the crowd, like an informal meeting. Debates are formal, questions come from the moderator, and the candidates are on the hot seat in front of everyone with limits on time and format.

debates are more like speeches and townhalls are more like informal discussions. McCain is terrible at speeches, he looks stiff, he sounds like he doesn't even believe himself and gives goofy facial expressions. Obama is a natural at delivering a speech and answer to debate questions. McCain is more relaxed and at ease talking face to face with a group of people. I don't think Obama would be bad by any means, but he doesn't want to cede his advantage of polish and delivery in the debates.

also asking for more debates or townhalls or whatever is the stereotypical tactic of an underdog.

vCash
    townhalls are the candidates answering questions from individuals in the crowd, like an informal meeting. Debates are formal, questions come from the moderator, and the candidates are on the hot seat in front of everyone with limits on time and format.

debates are more like speeches and townhalls are more like informal discussions. McCain is terrible at speeches, he looks stiff, he sounds like he doesn't even believe himself and gives goofy facial expressions. Obama is a natural at delivering a speech and answer to debate questions. McCain is more relaxed and at ease talking face to face with a group of people. I don't think Obama would be bad by any means, but he doesn't want to cede his advantage of polish and delivery in the debates.

also asking for more debates or townhalls or whatever is the stereotypical tactic of an underdog.
    There's also another difference in townhalls. The candidate that proposes the townhall becomes the "home team" (in a sense), because that candidate generally gets the last word. Obama wouldn't necessarily be allowed to retort to a McCain attack.

Also, it's a bit hard to screen those asking the questions. A campaign can plant audience members to ask particular questions that focus more on their candiates strengths (campaigns are not adverse to using this tactic).

I'm not opposed to townhalls, but I do tend to prefer the debate format. Leave the townhall for individual campaigns that don't require opposing candidates to attend. They're really more of a rally anyhow.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmthBluCitrus View Post
    There's also another difference in townhalls. The candidate that proposes the townhall becomes the "home team" (in a sense), because that candidate generally gets the last word. Obama wouldn't necessarily be allowed to retort to a McCain attack.

Also, it's a bit hard to screen those asking the questions. A campaign can plant audience members to ask particular questions that focus more on their candiates strengths (campaigns are not adverse to using this tactic).

I'm not opposed to townhalls, but I do tend to prefer the debate format. Leave the townhall for individual campaigns that don't require opposing candidates to attend. They're really more of a rally anyhow.
    Then again, the RNC may as well have planted the questions in the ABC Dem debate.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    obama is in a state of denial and he rejects everything real and factual. And i cant wait for this country to be runned by nancy pelosi, harry reid, and barack. Should be fun times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Cox View Post
    obama is in a state of denial and he rejects everything real and factual. And i cant wait for this country to be runned by nancy pelosi, harry reid, and barack. Should be fun times.
    What specifically is he in a state of denial about in relation to this thread?

vCash
    they are both trying to play to their strenghts. Obama will be better in debates, McCain will be better in townhalls. The rules are already there for debates, why would obama offer to change them, that would be like giving up a home game to play on the road.

Yes every candidate does want to play to there advantage but if I could use another sports analogy it would make more sense why I think Obama needs to stand up to his meeting with McCain in a town hall format:

During the baseball playoffs in a 7 game series all games for 1 team are not played at home (for stake of the arguement Obama and debates), they must go on the road to see if they could beat out the candidate in their home (McCain and the town hall).

If Obama supporters are behind him so much and really think he is this great candidate, they need to be the ones to almost force his hand and field the publics questions in the town hall. We must see the real Barack and surround him with questions of Ayer's, and Rev. Wright, and the things he is taking heat for. Otherwise if he doesn't do this it's almost like he is acknowledging the fact that he frequently associated with these men, and frankly in my eyes he comes out as a p*ss* for avoiding McCain.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaBeastley View Post
    Yes every candidate does want to play to there advantage but if I could use another sports analogy it would make more sense why I think Obama needs to stand up to his meeting with McCain in a town hall format:

During the baseball playoffs in a 7 game series all games for 1 team are not played at home (for stake of the arguement Obama and debates), they must go on the road to see if they could beat out the candidate in their home (McCain and the town hall).

If Obama supporters are behind him so much and really think he is this great candidate, they need to be the ones to almost force his hand and field the publics questions in the town hall. We must see the real Barack and surround him with questions of Ayer's, and Rev. Wright, and the things he is taking heat for. Otherwise if he doesn't do this it's almost like he is acknowledging the fact that he frequently associated with these men, and frankly in my eyes he comes out as a p*ss* for avoiding McCain.
    A townhall won't show you want you want to see. I don't think the sports analogy works. A debate is an even better challenge to a candidate. Let's face it, there is no real test to determine who is a worthy candidate, least of all a townhall. That has zero to do with the situations they would face in a presidency. What's the obsession? At least in a debate, you see how a person responds and reacts to difficult questions. I totally agree with the comment above about townhalls being mainly rallies.
    Last edited by ink; 07-25-2008 at 10:48 PM.

vCash

And which format would you prefer as a voter?

vCash
    Funny how no one wants to talk about the thread topic. Is there an allergy to foreign affairs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    A townhall won't show you want you want to see. I don't think the sports analogy works. A debate is an even better challenge to a candidate. Let's face it, there is no real test to determine who is a worthy candidate, least of all a townhall. That has zero to do with the situations they would face in a presidency. What's the obsession? At least in a debate, you see how a person responds and reacts to difficult questions. I totally agree with the comment above about townhalls being mainly rallies.
    But they are needed when the media is to soft on Obama and won't ask him the questions that must be answered.

And this has nothing to do with the topic but Obama would not even pass the background check to become an officer in the NYPD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink
    A townhall won't show you want you want to see.
    If they come to my townhall it will.

I have an obstacle course, a spelling bee....and "name that leader of a tiny unimportant country" in which I show the candidates pictures of obscure foreign leaders nobody cares about.....and ask them to "name that unimportant leader"

Failure to wear a flag pin in any of these events results in an immediate disqualification.

At least in a debate, you see how a person responds and reacts to difficult questions.
    No you don't.

Modern presidential debates are joint press conferences....and they dumb down their answers to appeal to a mass audience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Modern presidential debates are joint press conferences....and they dumb down their answers to appeal to a mass audience.
    Still better than the pep rally a townhall is best used for. None of these things do much more than familiarize voters with the politicians. Again, you won't find anything out about a leader until they're faced with real decisions in office.

But back to the actual thread topic ... interesting that no one wants to talk about foreign affairs. Unless of course, it's talked about in strictly American terms.
    Last edited by ink; 07-25-2008 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiaBeastley View Post
    And this has nothing to do with the topic but Obama would not even pass the background check to become an officer in the NYPD.
    Why, because Cheney would have Homeland Security plant something in his files to disqualify him?
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Still better than the pep rally a townhall is best used for. None of these things do much more than familiarize voters with the politicians. Again, you won't find anything out about a leader until they're faced with real decisions in office.

Classic liberal you just don't want Obama to be asked these important questions, you are readin to much of the New York Times and CNN it's either that or your uneducated on politics for your stance on debates there preplanned questions candidates know what questions are gonna be asked

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast