Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 132
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets27 View Post
    they r needed because most knowledgeble people know that obama cant debate without a script or a teleprompter
    there are no teleprompters in debates. what are you talking about?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets27 View Post
    they r needed because most knowledgeble people know that obama cant debate without a script or a teleprompter
    I think you're mistaking him for the current president. All through the Democratic primaries Obama successfully debated Clinton. And this point is taking the thread off topic. The thread is about a speech he made in Berlin. The content is more interesting than unfounded accusations about whether or not Obama can hold his own in a debate.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    85
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    there are no teleprompters in debates. what are you talking about?
    not in debates but you do know they basically have scripts in there podiums.

    But y is your candidate declining a town hall meeting its not like McCain was malicious in asking for one.

    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-proposes.html

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets27 View Post
    not in debates but you do know they basically have scripts in there podiums.

    But y is your candidate declining a town hall meeting its not like McCain was malicious in asking for one.

    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-proposes.html
    Off topic. If you want to debate that, start another thread. This isn't about town hall meetings.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,568
    vCash
    1500
    I missed this speech, I was too busy teaching my future children spanish.

    Yeah, Obama gets it. He gets ADD voters can be tricked by a sleight of hand and a nice smile. That's the sadness of politics.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

    RIP Jesse Helms

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    I missed this speech, I was too busy teaching my future children spanish.

    Yeah, Obama gets it. He gets ADD voters can be tricked by a sleight of hand and a nice smile. That's the sadness of politics.
    How does a well written 50,000 word speech appeal to people with ADD?? I couldn't imagine two things in starker contrast with one another. I think you need to improve your timing if you're going to attack the man for smiles and tricks. The speech was well-researched and thorough. Not exactly short attention span stuff.
    Last edited by ink; 07-24-2008 at 11:21 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    What's in it for the Germans, beyond an offer of friendship?

    How does one explain the level of fervor that surrounds this foreign (to them) political candidate? Is it his easy grin? (Unlikely—Germans aren't known as the warmest people.) His well-toned physique? (They are very into physical fitness here.) Or maybe the answer has something to do with the way the man and his message fit into the country's psychodynamics, tapping into a meta-narrative that encompasses Germany's tragic yet enlightened history. In a country with a well-founded distrust of larger-than-life politicians, Obama is a safe vessel for Germany's desire to lose themselves in a leader, and he's seen as the best hope for America's salvation from the perceived catastrophic policies of its current president.
    Source: Newsweek

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,568
    vCash
    1500
    Actually Germany probably likes Obama for the same reason they fell in love with another politician who was heavy on charisma but short on workable, good plans. Smiles and speeches.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

    RIP Jesse Helms

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Actually Germany probably likes Obama for the same reason they fell in love with another politician who was heavy on charisma but short on workable, good plans. Smiles and speeches.
    Ooh. Another bad miss BB. Gotta work on those one liners and make sure they apply. lol. The fellow you're talking about is probably the worst leader the world has ever known, but saying he was short on workable plans is ignoring the fact that he took a country out of the depression by making them the single most efficient technological power of their age. And yeah, he sure was smiley. lmao. That was a cheap shot and wasn't even close to hitting the mark. Next?
    Last edited by ink; 07-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21,592
    vCash
    1500
    I don't get it.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    VANCOUVER
    Posts
    50,072
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    I don't get it.
    BB dropped the H-word. Apparently he hasn't heard of Godwin's Law.

    Godwin's Law

    /prov./ [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shakedown Street, Japan
    Posts
    30,292
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets27 View Post
    obamas like the kid in ure high school who will talk about u but never say anything 2 ure face......democrats were just dumb 2 push this socialist accrosss
    Quoted... because it's there...
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

    Atheists Of PSD

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    So I'm dyslexic, which usually isn't too much of a problem except that when I saw "obamas like the kid in ure" I read it as 'Obama's the like urine kid.' I had to reread that one a few times.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMets27 View Post
    not in debates but you do know they basically have scripts in there podiums.

    But y is your candidate declining a town hall meeting its not like McCain was malicious in asking for one.

    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...-proposes.html
    they are both trying to play to their strenghts. Obama will be better in debates, McCain will be better in townhalls. The rules are already there for debates, why would obama offer to change them, that would be like giving up a home game to play on the road.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    1500
    Reddy seems a tad all-inclusive for my taste. I highly doubt the reason for Germanic liberalism post WWll is a direct result of an attraction/wariness of messianic type leaders.

    The desire to transcend the horror of the Holocaust has deeply shaped the post-World War II German political psyche, resulting in what, to Americans, would seem like an extremely liberal government agenda, with extensive protection of civil liberties and widespread government support for social welfare, along with progressive environmental policies and legal recognition of same-sex partnerships.
    Bill Handel, KFI-AM Los Angeles had an interesting take on German Obama love. Essentially, Handel chronicled Germany's experience after WWl, which ended the Prussian Empire and how the West pretty much hosed the Germans in the settlement. This led of course to the rise of Hitler and WWll and rather than hose the German people again, we, meaning the USA rebuilt Germany.

    The German people were perhaps the recipients of America's finest hour. Other than a Persian ruler who's name escapes me at the moment, no conquering army or country in the history of mankind has rebuilt and given a subjected country it's freedom. By comparison the Soviets were barbaric in their treatment of East Germany.

    This is what Obama's call, "Come to Berlin" is all about. The German's are responding to Obama as they did to Presidents Kennedy & Reagan. They are hoping, as are many of us, that Obama represents America at its finest.

    Even though I disagree with Ronald Reagan on many things, when he went to Berlin and challenged Gorbachev to, "Open these gates. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." Ronald Reagan too presented America at its best and the German People showed their appreciation this week.

    In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that in the Germanic psyche, Bush43 represents the old Soviet Union and Obama comes in the tradition of Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy & Reagan.
    Last edited by moonman; 07-25-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •