Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Tivo/DVR

vCash

Tivo/DVR

Wondering what peoples opinions on them are. My room mate and I are looking into getting one and wondering what kind people have. Theres multiple levels of the Tivo for different costs and how much they can record. I asked the tech guy at work and he said some DVR's have a firewire slot so you can load movies from it onto your computer. Thoughts?

vCash
    I have the new RCN DVR. It is $15 a month, and you don't pay for the box itself. It has HDMI out, component out and optical out for your 5.1 surround. It's also pretty I would have gone with TIVO back in the day when you could get the lifetime subscription... but even those wont work when they go all digital. I suppose you could hook the converter up to it, but you lose a lot of functionality.

vCash
    I would die without my DVR, i have Time Warner and its only like 10 bucks extra for it.

One of the greatest things around, I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bhcluc View Post
    I have the new RCN DVR. It is $15 a month, and you don't pay for the box itself. It has HDMI out, component out and optical out for your 5.1 surround. It's also pretty I would have gone with TIVO back in the day when you could get the lifetime subscription... but even those wont work when they go all digital. I suppose you could hook the converter up to it, but you lose a lot of functionality.
    Some of the newer TiVo's support cablecard, but the reality is no TiVo ever supported digital cable, so the digital conversion isn't the greatest concern. You don't lose much, just the generally lousy cable box TV guide and on-demand services suck(the few second delay the tivo introduces really makes navigating menus annoying)

There are some slow bits of work towards extending digital cable to mroe devices, but it's moving slowly. It's one of the more disappointing acts of cable and sat companies, they are doing everything they can to force you to use only their DVR. I've personally yet to see a cable provided DVR taht was very good. Comcast can't even get a decent bloody TV guide pulled together, let alone manage anything more complex.

I'm currently working on a Vista Media Center DVR\Entertainment hub setup, which is interesting in alot of ways, it's just difficult to decide on a tuner card setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamy
    It wouldn't hurt you to think like a serial killer every onced in a while, just for the sake of prevention

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirel View Post
    Some of the newer TiVo's support cablecard, but the reality is no TiVo ever supported digital cable, so the digital conversion isn't the greatest concern. You don't lose much, just the generally lousy cable box TV guide and on-demand services suck(the few second delay the tivo introduces really makes navigating menus annoying)

There are some slow bits of work towards extending digital cable to mroe devices, but it's moving slowly. It's one of the more disappointing acts of cable and sat companies, they are doing everything they can to force you to use only their DVR. I've personally yet to see a cable provided DVR taht was very good. Comcast can't even get a decent bloody TV guide pulled together, let alone manage anything more complex.

I'm currently working on a Vista Media Center DVR\Entertainment hub setup, which is interesting in alot of ways, it's just difficult to decide on a tuner card setup.
    Referring to the TIVO, I was stating that the only reason I would ever purchase one would have been to get the lifetime subscription. They dont even offer that any longer, so to me, there isnt really a point to getting a TIVO brand DVR. Soon enough, all the older boxes will be obsolete as they do not have digital tuners, nor do they have HD support.

As far as "forcing" DVRs onto the public, while you do need a digital tuner, the cable company rents them to you for less than $3 a month. And if your TV has a digital tuner, they don't force you to do anything. It is just like when original, vanilla cable came out back in the day, and you needed that little black box on top of your TV set to decode it. Same thing... they werent forcing cable boxes on people then either... just making it easier for people to get cable even if they didnt have a cable ready TV.

vCash
    Referring to the TIVO, I was stating that the only reason I would ever purchase one would have been to get the lifetime subscription. They dont even offer that any longer, so to me, there isnt really a point to getting a TIVO brand DVR. Soon enough, all the older boxes will be obsolete as they do not have digital tuners, nor do they have HD support.

As far as "forcing" DVRs onto the public, while you do need a digital tuner, the cable company rents them to you for less than $3 a month. And if your TV has a digital tuner, they don't force you to do anything. It is just like when original, vanilla cable came out back in the day, and you needed that little black box on top of your TV set to decode it. Same thing... they werent forcing cable boxes on people then either... just making it easier for people to get cable even if they didnt have a cable ready TV.
    The problem is that you cannot buy a DVR from another company and use it, atleast not easily.

It's not forcing them out, it's forcing you to use only *THEIR* DVR. A TiVo with a digital tuner can still only tune over the air channels as those have to be broadcast over the cable in an unencrypted format(QAM256 I think). To get access to full digital cable, you only have a couple choices. Cablecard or a downconvert from their tuner box. Getting cable card support in a device is hard enough and alot of cable companies don't like to install them(they have to offer it by law, I believe, but they fuss about it.) You can't buy after market cable card devices. The entire system has to be certified, so at best you're stuck buying a $1000+ PC setup from HP, the very expensive TiVo 3, or you get the monthly fee cable company option, and that's pretty much it on the high end. And you still can't tune PPV or on demand content over a Cablecard.

Tru2way, a java based solution, is about the only hope out there right now, and who knows when that is going to come around and if it's going to be worth anything. A DVR that can only keep recorded programs for 24 hours is going to be rather worthless in the end.
    It wouldn't hurt you to think like a serial killer every onced in a while, just for the sake of prevention

vCash
    You are in no way forced to use a particular cable companies equipment. In fact, that is illegal. Unless you are talking about using an AT&T DVR with Comcast service... you can pretty much do whatever you want. All the cable card does is give you access to the programming you have paid for. If you have a device with a QAM tuner you don't need any of their equipment... and trust me, these will become more and more prevalent as time passes... just like the old school cable ready televisions.

vCash
    You can get unlimited recording if you know how to hack into the box to add a connection for a standalone HD.

One of these days, they'll make an additional HD an extra feature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MvpMets00 View Post
    I would die without my DVR, i have Time Warner and its only like 10 bucks extra for it.

One of the greatest things around, I love it.
    Definitely agree with you. It is like one of the best things ever invented for MAN!! I seriously don't know what I would do without it. Then again DVR are kinda the reason shows dont last as long cuz ratings dont count recorded stats
    LETS GO KNICKS!!!

vCash
    You are in no way forced to use a particular cable companies equipment. In fact, that is illegal. Unless you are talking about using an AT&T DVR with Comcast service... you can pretty much do whatever you want. All the cable card does is give you access to the programming you have paid for. If you have a device with a QAM tuner you don't need any of their equipment... and trust me, these will become more and more prevalent as time passes... just like the old school cable ready televisions.
    As best I can tell, QAM only handles unscrambled content, that is basic cable and over the air broadcasts(by law I believe), not the extended digital tier channels, which are encrypted and authorized seperatly. I'd need Cable Card to get about 400 of the channels I recieve through my STB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmaster View Post
    Definitely agree with you. It is like one of the best things ever invented for MAN!! I seriously don't know what I would do without it. Then again DVR are kinda the reason shows dont last as long cuz ratings dont count recorded stats
    That doesn't make much sense because

a) to affect Neilsen ratings (TV show ratings), you have to have Neilsen equipment

b) your TV has to change the channel to what you want to record in order to record it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsGirl View Post
    That doesn't make much sense because

a) to affect Neilsen ratings (TV show ratings), you have to have Neilsen equipment

b) your TV has to change the channel to what you want to record in order to record it.
    Well, I assume most cable boxes have something built in with Nielson? I am just asking? Cuz thats the only way that i can think of that they can get an actual rating for shows or live shows.

What about when you are recording 2 shows at once? That doesnt help lol.. Thats what I meant before because I usually have 2 shows recording at once.
    LETS GO KNICKS!!!

vCash
    i have rcn dvr......does anyone else have such a hard time getting your remote to work. My remote is terrible, you have to bee like 2 feet in front of the TV for it tow work (As i was typing this my brother just went "ahh i hate this stupid remote") and no its not the batteries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmaster View Post
    Well, I assume most cable boxes have something built in with Nielson? I am just asking? Cuz thats the only way that i can think of that they can get an actual rating for shows or live shows.

What about when you are recording 2 shows at once? That doesnt help lol.. Thats what I meant before because I usually have 2 shows recording at once.
    Nielsen essentially selects a representative slice of people to track ratings, it's as few as a few thousand I believe, and uses statistical methods to derive relatively reliable figures.