Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
    media is liberal in general, but during this election they are especially biased. I think the NY Times reported the rev. wright story on like page 17 or something and that was only because they were forced to.
    Look, Obama gets attention, but it's not always good. People talk about his "ties" to Rezko, but they don't talk about McCain's "ties" to Keating. Or about how the McCains are back due on their property taxes for one of their estates in Malibu. It goes both ways.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    true, obama is seen as different.... black, middle-aged...... and so he gets a lot of attention. And though that attention may not always be good, the media nevers tries to portray him negatively. For instance, with the Rev. Wright situation, the media always gave him the benefit of the doubt. Had wright beed involved with mccain, you can bet mccain would be finished by now.

vCash
    true, obama is seen as different.... black, middle-aged...... and so he gets a lot of attention. And though that attention may not always be good, the media nevers tries to portray him negatively. For instance, with the Rev. Wright situation, the media always gave him the benefit of the doubt. Had wright beed involved with mccain, you can bet mccain would be finished by now.
    Really? I bet they wouldn't talk about it at all.... Like what's happened with Parsley and Hagee's comments. I've heard Wright's name in the last week in reference to Obama. I haven't heard about Parsley or Hagee in a while.

How about Phil Gramm? How long did it take for the media to notice how crazy he is? If he was with Obama they'd all be over how inexperienced Obama is and how he's susceptible to bad influences like Gramm (kind of like how we hear about his ties to Bill Ayers).

I'm sure that if I took some time I could put together a study that shows the media is biased any way I'd want it to be. That's the deal with statistics. You can always get them to say what you want.

Republicans have been attacking the press as long as I can remember. That's just the way it is. It doesn't matter how much they cater to the right, they're still portrayed as extreme lefties. The NY Times puts up blatant rightwing propaganda in the form of Bill Kristol's column each week because they wanted to appear more balanced. How has their image changed in the last few months?
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    well, those comments havent affected mccain that much b/c the media knows they let obama off the hook so bashing mccain would make them look one-sided.

All else being equal, i think if Rev Wright had been mccain's problem and not obama, then i think we can agree that he would severly crippled by the situation.

Politicians bash each other, that's their only job it seems like. These people are too dumb to suceed in real life, so they turn to politics. Republicans blame the media. Democrats blame people that make money. Its a never-ending cycle.

vCash
    In the end I think the majority of voters is not going to get their info from the left or right wing blogs. I think most of them will get there info from the three evening news programs and right now IMO they are pro-Obama.
    YES

vCash
    Denbutsu, you can point to a few articles where people speak positively about Mccain.....but the way some anchors, and other people in the media treat Obama, like he's one of the Beatles...is unique to him.

I've heard Wright's name in the last week in reference to Obama. I haven't heard about Parsley or Hagee in a while.
    Because it's not really the same thing.

Also, Wright is old news. Perhaps his name was used in passing, but he's yesterday's news.

Republicans have been attacking the press as long as I can remember. That's just the way it is. It doesn't matter how much they cater to the right, they're still portrayed as extreme lefties
    Perception is reality. And people perceive a liberal bias in the press.

Can't say that I disagree with them. But, perhaps I'm brainwashed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Denbutsu, you can point to a few articles where people speak positively about Mccain.....but the way some anchors, and other people in the media treat Obama, like he's one of the Beatles...is unique to him.
    But in that sense we're really talking about two separate issues - both media issues, but different ones.

What you're talking about is more of a tone, or a mood, or a sentiment, in the general way some media figures talk about Obama. It's more of a "cult of personality" type issue (and I'm sure bb will just be ecstatic that I used the word "cult" ) where they are caught up in the drama of "Obama as phenomenon".

But what I'm talking about is more issue oriented, and really much more substantial in my opinion. And that is the disproportionate scrutiny that the media gives Obama, the fine-toothed-comb approach to making mountains out of molehills with every little move he makes - no matter how trivial. Whereas they continually and blatantly give McCain free pass after free pass after free pass on all sorts of stuff, from copying Obama's policies to changing his own positions ad nauseum, to flat out being wrong about some pretty major stuff.

There are good reasons that liberals point to the multiple McCain references to Iran funding Al Qaeda as a glaring example of this. One is simply the fact that he did state and restate this assertion multiple times, signifying that it wasn't merely the "gaffe" the media made it out to be (basically just taking his word for it rather than really digging into the story). But another important one is that it's really damn frustrating for us to sit back and watch that happen when we know - and conservatives know as well - that if Obama had made the same "gaffe" (or more accurately had failed to grasp the true nature of the situation), the media would have been all over it instantly, with massive headlines and 5 minute CNN pieces by Blitzer on "Is Obama really this confused about Iran, Al Qaeda and Iraq?!?" They'd give him the Rev. Wright treatment on that for sure, just as they did by falsely claiming he'd "flip-flopped" on his Iraq policy, etc.

So maybe the media as a whole finds Obama more "adorable" or something, but they sure do handle McCain with kid gloves when it comes to the real issues, and I think the latter is a much more serious journalistic failure.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    I could make a longer video with clips from FOX which shows nothing by undying love for Republicans... sometimes I think if it wouldn't get a fine from the FCC, FOX news anchors would actually perform oral services on McCain or Bush.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Well technically they could. Networks like Fox aren't subjected to the same FCC regulations as CBS, ABC, and NBC because FNC isn't public broadcasting, but a cable network.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    Well technically they could. Networks like Fox aren't subjected to the same FCC regulations as CBS, ABC, and NBC because FNC isn't public broadcasting, but a cable network.
    cable or not, FOX could not show it. They have less restrictions but there are still general guidelines for the air. They do also have less after I believe it's 10PM..

but that would not be a Media Loves McCain video I'd be wanting to have to edit.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    I don't think anyone really "loves" McCain. I mean there are a few but i think most people are voting for McCain out of fear of the alternative. I mean in all honesty I am just as scared to put the economy in McCain's hands as Obama's and this is coming from a Laissez-Faire capitalist.

But the media definitely has a goal of portraying Obama as the face of a new America and from what I have seen and heard about Obama that is an America I'm not entirely sure I want to be associated with

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    I could make a longer video with clips from FOX which shows nothing by undying love for Republicans... sometimes I think if it wouldn't get a fine from the FCC, FOX news anchors would actually perform oral services on McCain or Bush
    FOX is a national joke, but MSNBC is just as bad, if not worse.

Matthews' "thrill up his leg", "deliverance" and "the world's gift to us" lines are beyond creepy and Olberhack now spends almost as much time obsessing over Obama as he does obsessing over Bill O'Reilly.

MSNBC is nothing more than attempt to be the opposite of FOX. They both set back news reporting in the country years. Just because one speaks their crap out of a different side of their mouth, it doesn't mean it's not still crap.

But atleast MSDNC shows reruns of Dateline more than they show "news"

vCash
    i watch cnn and foxnews, but your right msnbc is horrible.

vCash
    i watch cnn and foxnews, but your right msnbc is horrible.
    MSNBC is probably the lesser of the other two evils.....especially FOX News

vCash
    It's human nature isn't it? To be more interested in someone with charisma. Of course everyone hopes that people will deal with politicians on a deeper level than that, but it's not surprising Obama gets more coverage. He's a more interesting person by far. And despite the best attempts to denigrate him by his opponents, there is substance to his ideas, so he does well both ways.

Seems to me this story has been covered before. Early 60's - Kennedy vs. Nixon.
    Last edited by ink; 07-23-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast