Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Is Global Warming Real?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and we can do something about it

    25 54.35%
  • Yes, but there is nothing we can do about it.

    8 17.39%
  • No, it's not real.

    13 28.26%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,983
    vCash
    1500
    I doubt there's any global warming. It's just a cycle were in, and plus right now it's summer time so of course it's going to be hot lol.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    9,701
    vCash
    1500
    Yes, I believe in Global Warming (ie Global Climate Change -- the new political action term for it ... as it does also produce more extreme cold weather conditions).

    Yes, I believe we can work to help a reversal of the patterns we've seen, but it's going to be a prolonged and arduious process.

    I'm not an environment-nik, never really have been and I also can't see myself ever being one. But, regardless of whether GCC is human-caused (as CG said), it doesn't hurt to leave the planet a cleaner and greener place.

    If nothing else, we need to cut back on fossil fuel use (and go towards more environmentally friendly energy) simply based on the fact that oil is finite. I'd rather us be safe than sorry. Besides, an environment "revolution" would help to spur jobs, spur tech, and make us a full fledged leader in this global market world.
    Когда́ де́ньги говоря́т, тогда́ пра́вда молчи́т

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vail, CO
    Posts
    14,807
    vCash
    1500
    Global Warming does exist, but it is a natural thing that humans are not causin on their own
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,225
    vCash
    1500
    I believe it's occurring and I believe that humans are playing a part in it. How big of a part? I don't really know.

    The thing I'm sure of is that when I hear a scientist (from either side of the argument) speak about global warming in absolute terms like he's 100% positive that what he's saying is the gospel truth, I ignore him. True scientists present facts cautiously and are aware of degrees of error. When you hear a "scientist" preaching about global warming (again, whether he's an alarmist or claiming that it's nonsense) you have to really question his motives.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    29,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    Global Warming does exist, but it is a natural thing that humans are not causin on their own
    I'm sorry but thats completely ignorant. That's like believing that certain species that have gone extinct has nothing to do with humans either.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,183
    vCash
    1500
    Is it real???
    Of Course it is. The largest amount of evidence says that it is both real and mankind has something to do with it. The largest number of scientists world wide agree on that.
    Is it poorly named?
    Yes it is. It is not really about the globe. It is about the long term life of all the living things (that puts us at the top) and how it will effect us. Here in California it we are burning up quite a lot. It seems we have a draught, and we have a lot of lightning. All of which was predicted 20 years ago. This is just an example of the problem.
    Will we have the desire to do something about it?
    Strangely enough, the answer is yes, however the reason is not global warming per se. It is money.
    According to oil billionaire T. Boone Pickins, we as a nation cannot afford to stay on oil. In fact he says we cannnot drill our way out of the fincial mess we are in. His answer is wind, solar, and a change of how we use natural gas (which burns way cleaner than the gas we put in our cars). He says this is not the final answer, but it buys us 30 years to work on other answers.
    If wind, solar, and tidal become the useful generators of electricity, than we will have put a strong dent in the carbon based energy that we now use.
    It is just about economics and the environment coming together.
    BTW, for those of you on the political right, Pickins was the man who sponsered the Swift Boating of John Kerry, so he is no liberal.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    1500
    Its called mother nature. We can't control her. This is a fake theory that the government is using as an exuse for higher taxes.

    Not in the mood to debate it though.
    Duke '10 NCAA Tournament Champs
    Yankes '09 World Series Champs
    Giants '08 Super Bowl Champs

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,957
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nascar10294 View Post
    Its called mother nature. We can't control her. This is a fake theory that the government is using as an exuse for higher taxes.

    Not in the mood to debate it though.
    hannity and a handful of scientists on lobbyist payrolls agree with you

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,183
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nascar10294 View Post
    Its called mother nature. We can't control her. This is a fake theory that the government is using as an exuse for higher taxes.

    Not in the mood to debate it though.
    The underlying problem with the "fake theory the government is using" concept is that it is not just one government. Nor two. Nor three....

    It is from the worlds scientists.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vail, CO
    Posts
    14,807
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    I'm sorry but thats completely ignorant. That's like believing that certain species that have gone extinct has nothing to do with humans either.
    how is that ignorant?

    there is plenty of scientific evidence that says the earth goes through cycles of this, you are the one being ignorant not even considering anyone elses opinion.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    15,568
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider_Vet View Post
    PSD's highest honor is awarded to you... the 5 clap salute!!!! How can anyone with a brian in this day and age think there is no such thing and there is noting we can do about it?
    If you're going to question the intelligent of another poster, learn to spell.

    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    I'm sorry but thats completely ignorant. That's like believing that certain species that have gone extinct has nothing to do with humans either.
    Because some species go extinct and it's not our fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    how is that ignorant?

    there is plenty of scientific evidence that says the earth goes through cycles of this, you are the one being ignorant not even considering anyone elses opinion.
    Like a previous poster said, there are so many people on both sides of this argument who say "I'm 100% sure global warming is [insert side here] and anyone who disagrees is stupid (or doesn't have a brain[sic])." You have to ignore people because there's evidence to support all sides. For all we know, this could end up being like the global cooling fear mongering of the 70s.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

    RIP Jesse Helms

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    I'm glad that when you made the poll you put up three options, because that's really what it really boils down to.

    I'd venture to say that 99% of the world believes it exists. Of those people, the majority believe that development is, in part, a reason for the climate change. The minority believe that development has not had any major effect on the climate and that it's just a natural transition.

    Finally, that last 1% clearly hasn't ventured outdoors in a long time.
    Last edited by ari1013; 07-21-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,183
    vCash
    1500
    This is boiling down to the silly season of discussion.

    OK.....The earth has gone through cycles of heating and cooling.

    That said, and agreed to, it does not mean that man is not a factor.

    Now assume the people are right who say that man is not a factor. What is lost by changing from a carbon based energy to solar, wind, etc? Answer, according to T. Boone Pickens is that we will save our country over 700 billion dollars a year from leaving.

    Now assume the people who say that man is a major factor, what is lost by not changing. Well that list is to long but to give a few ideas, floods, famine, disease, epoch hunger.....

    So, the only logical thing to do, is make the change

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,853
    vCash
    1500
    Of course its real, that has already been proven. It is a natural cycle that occurs so often on Earth but since humans have industrialized it deffinitely has sped up quite rapidly. Its still not nearly as big as we build it up to be, sure its a problem but nothing that needs to have billions of dollars invested into it. Over the last 50 years or so the Earth's average temperature has risen 1 degree, that might not seem like a lot but its enough to push some glaciers right above the freezing point and into our oceans, raising the average depth of water across the Earth.

    I just hate it when you hear people on like a 50 degree December day (well I guess it depends where you live, but you get the picture) be like "Wow its wayy to hot for a winter day, I guess global warming really is a problem. Temperature is going to be irratic, it always has been, always will be, global warming wouldn't cause enough difference that any human would be able to notice it.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,183
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    Over the last 50 years or so the Earth's average temperature has risen 1 degree, that might not seem like a lot but its enough to push some glaciers right above the freezing point and into our oceans, raising the average depth of water across the Earth.
    Your point is a tautology. You have said it is only one degree, therfore, it is not important, therefore it is not important.

    Well, first every one degree adds 10% to lightning strikes. That is important. Secondly, as you shrink glaciers, the effect grows. You see the glaciers are the air conditioner for the area below them, thereby changing the climate way more than the one degree that you are minimizing.

    The problem is not just the one degree today, it is what is going to happen, and if you are wrong, there are some dire results

    If you are right, and we change from carbon based energy to renewables, no harm done. In fact, here in the USA, our economy will be helped dramatically.

    So in short, my way, heads we win tales we win, we look at it your way, heads or tales, our economy suffers. If you are wrong, not only does our economy suffer, but all of humanity suffers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •