Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Price of War

vCash

Price of War

I have been contemplating writing this for months, I have written this post twice never having the full story or knowledge on the subject as I should. In all likely hood I still don't entirely understand it. What I am talking about is the Idea of privatizing the Military.

On September 10,2001 Donald Rumsfield held a press conference with the leaders of the DOD (Department of Defense) according to Rumsfield these were the most important people that will help decide americas warfare actions of the future...they were Halliburton,DynCorps, and Bechtels. also attending was Enron, Northrop Grumman,General Dynamics, and Aerospace corporation. This meeting was about the new way that Rumsfield wanted the Pentagon top be run. He wanted it to be modeled after the Privatized buisnesses.

http://www.foreignaffairs.org/200205...-military.html

Fast forward to a few months after 9/11 and look into the swamps of North Carolina were a small insignificant groups of ex-military personnel has established a training camp. These people would come to be known as Blackwater, the small time protection agency that overnight became a privately funded military with camps in North carolina,chicago and elsewhere. Overnight the Blackwater organization has become the most powerful Mercenary group in the fre world a Republican guard of sorts led by Erik Prince. Now these men are americas 3rd army with no accountability and no heads of government that will challenge them they are free to do in Iraq and Afghanistan to do what ever they want.

Insert Dik Cheney and Halliburton who after the gulf war had joined Halliburton in researching how to privatize the military...quickly. Oh you don't know about Halliburton there only the guys who has receved government contracts to do everything from provide the Military Personnel food to washing there clothes.
    Question: How much does a can of Cola cost if a soldier wants to buy one from them on base?
    Answer: $20

But don't let me set this up as a newage development Clinton heavily supported the idea of Privatized Militaries as a matter of fact the Dick Cheney run Halliburton was given contracts in the 90's for Kosovo and the Balkan conflicts.

Blackwater is also the group who deals with border patrol, Iraq and the after effects of Katrina
    Do you know what they did in Katrina?
    Help rebuild...Nope
    Assist in rescue...Wrong
    Protect the walmart...Scary close they have become(correct)

Now reading this maybe you haven't found the question I am asking so here it is How safe do you feel that this Government and it's private military won't blink twice about protecting it's own private gains and spurn the taxpayers as well as start a war to help feed the big corporations at the expense of our Brave Men and women in the armed forces. How does it feel that while Blackwater goes into battle they are given top of the line armored humvees and equipment the PROFESSIONAL solders have to scrap and scrape and petition the government for working parts, Armor and other neccessities.

Why is the threat of a Privately owned Army lost on American Citizens?

Information obtained from: The Book Blackwater
    Last edited by Mr.Chris; 07-21-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Rest in peace to a Real Warrior and a real Hero
    may you guard the gates of heaven forever
    Sgt. Merlin German United States Marine Corps

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img4/hendrickszr3.jpg/1

All We Do Is WIN

vCash
    If we don't want to have to rely on mercenaries, then we have to really start improving recruitment efforts for our military. The administration stonewalled the Democratic initiative to increase education benefits until Webb was finally able to get enough votes to override a veto. We need more efforts like that one to make joining the military a more attractive option (especially at a point in time like we're in now when any enlistee knows s/he will be shipped overseas).
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    I'm a fan of the private military. Without the private military (which, for better or for worse, saves money with a lack of benefits, and doesn't have to follow the same rules which is sometimes good), we'd need either more tours for veterans or a draft.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Or we need to fight one war at a time
    that was the downfall of britian, Rome, Greece and others

Also Mercenary groups get paid considerably more than the average sold by almost 600 dollars a day. They are also given top of he line equipment where the military is given junk.
    Rest in peace to a Real Warrior and a real Hero
    may you guard the gates of heaven forever
    Sgt. Merlin German United States Marine Corps

[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/img4/hendrickszr3.jpg/1

All We Do Is WIN

vCash
    Not really the problem of Greece (greece consisted of city-states, not the nation as we know it). But it is a valid point.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Mr. Chris, I need you to do something. You need to cut the length of the quoted/paraphrased material in that post, because it's copyrighted. If you don't do it soon, it will be done for you. I know you didn't do anything "wrong" intentionally, just looking to protect the site from claims of plagarism/etc.

Thanks - D
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chris View Post
    Or we need to fight one war at a time
    that was the downfall of britian, Rome, Greece and others

Also Mercenary groups get paid considerably more than the average sold by almost 600 dollars a day. They are also given top of he line equipment where the military is given junk.
    Exactly. This shouldn't be an exercise of capitalism. Even libertarians believe that the government should be responsible for public defense. A publically funded military that is accountable to the people is much preferred to a privately run paramilitary.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information