Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    1500
    No snakey32, I wasn't mocking you at all. IMO, the vast majority of investment advisers posses sophisticated minds and are adept at strategic thinking. I merely stated by contrast that I'm just a lowly licensed and bonded tax preparer.

    As for some proof that Republicans seek to eliminate capital gains tax look no further than the Contract With America.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...7D&siteid=mktw

    As to the capital gains being treated as ordinary income for tax purposes, should capital gains taxes be eliminated, I'm amazed that a so-called investment adviser fails to understand the definition of income for tax purposes, which is THE MOST rudimentary of all investment considerations; i.e. How is this investment treated for tax purposes?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    1500
    No I wasn't mocking you snakey32. Eliminating the capital gains tax has long been a goal of the Republicans. It was stated so in the Contract With America and advocated by many Republicans since.

    What surprises me though is that an investment adviser would not understand the most rudimentary of all tax law. Eliminating the capital gains tax doesn't mean eliminating the reporting requirement. Thus investment banks and brokers still report capital gains on transactions, the gain is then ordinary income and taxed at the higher rate.

    I'm also surprised an investment adviser would advocate lowering the capital gains tax given our experience, especially in 2000 and 1929. Lowering capital gains rates only leads to wild speculation and there is absolutely no evidence that reducing capital gains rates spurs economic growth.

    Correct if I'm wrong but aren't investment advisers generally prudent people who advocate at best measured and acceptable risk?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NOR CAL
    Posts
    8,833
    vCash
    1500
    I don't know if Obama scares wall street

    I do know wall street is scaring the piss out of me right now
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt


    There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    5,551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I don't know if Obama scares wall street

    I do know wall street is scaring the piss out of me right now
    as long as crude keeps dropping, wall street can do whatever the **** it wants right now.. they are talking about huge price drops in the pumps in the coming days.. ranging anywhere from 20 - 40 cents a gallon.. apparently since we've been "overpaying" and the drop is in concern to the price having an effect on economy, it's going to balance out with the actual per barrel cost.

    Hopefully tomorrow yields another $5 drop.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I don't know if Obama scares wall street

    I do know wall street is scaring the piss out of me right now
    I was chatting with a friend yesterday who's net worth is well over two million and he never earned more than $15.00 an hour. In fact he was a custodian at his local school district. Ain't inflation amazin'? Well, my friend did better than the inflation rate. He showed real gains.

    Anyway, as to your fear, he said, "Naw, I've seen it all before. In 2000 the market went down 50% and recovered. Same thing in 1987." He gave me a couple investment advisory letters and a recommendation.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    930
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    as long as crude keeps dropping, wall street can do whatever the **** it wants right now.. they are talking about huge price drops in the pumps in the coming days.. ranging anywhere from 20 - 40 cents a gallon.. apparently since we've been "overpaying" and the drop is in concern to the price having an effect on economy, it's going to balance out with the actual per barrel cost.

    Hopefully tomorrow yields another $5 drop.
    ah yes, the old feather up, feather down scam. why is it when the price feathers down it never seems to hit the old lows but always sets new records when it feathers up?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by snakey32 View Post
    Raising taxes will slow our economy down, drop revenues and decrease total tax generated by the government. I don't have the exact stats, but total tax generated by the federal government under the Bush administration has increased due to his tax cuts and growth in our economy.
    That's not exactly true. Tax revenue from corporations has increases along with their profits. That increase in tax revenue more than made up for the decrease in revenue from individual tax returns, but since those corporations were on pace for record profits anyway, it's very clear that tax receipts are actually lower now than they would have been had the tax cuts not happened.

    In fact, the Bush Administration's projections for future tax revenues are made with a 100% repeal of his cuts after 2010. So the 2012 "Balanced Budget" requires a full move back to the Clinton-level of taxes.

    As far as economic growth goes, there's a whole literature that disproves your point. Taxes are essentially irrelevant to economic growth. Interest rates are much more important.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    as long as crude keeps dropping, wall street can do whatever the **** it wants right now.. they are talking about huge price drops in the pumps in the coming days.. ranging anywhere from 20 - 40 cents a gallon.. apparently since we've been "overpaying" and the drop is in concern to the price having an effect on economy, it's going to balance out with the actual per barrel cost.

    Hopefully tomorrow yields another $5 drop.
    Oil's dropping because the dollar is climbing in value. The dollar has appreciated about 10% in the last two weeks. At the same time, oil consumption hasn't changed. Therefore the price of oil should decrease around 10% as well (a net drop of about $14-$15). That should correspond to about a 22 cent drop in gas prices at the pump.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    ah yes, the old feather up, feather down scam. why is it when the price feathers down it never seems to hit the old lows but always sets new records when it feathers up?
    It's not a scam. When prices go up over time it's because demand grows over time along with global population.
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York Lower Hudson Valley
    Posts
    20,961
    vCash
    1500
    They panic when anything changes, so yeah they are scare of Obama, who's biggest slogan has called for change.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    5,551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    Oil's dropping because the dollar is climbing in value. The dollar has appreciated about 10% in the last two weeks. At the same time, oil consumption hasn't changed. Therefore the price of oil should decrease around 10% as well (a net drop of about $14-$15). That should correspond to about a 22 cent drop in gas prices at the pump.
    It has already dropped $16 in the last 3 days. I say it drops another 3 - 4 tomorrow.. I know you like to hold the value of oil and the dollar as mutually exclusive, but like it or not, there are other factors. Concerns of price also can affect things.. otherwise everything would rise and drop at the price of the dollar, and there would be no need for the market at all. It would just be assumed and known that as the dollar goes up 10%, everything else drops 10%.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,113
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    Dunno.. I work for one of the largest advisory firms .. granted I'm in IT.. but I don't see a lot of frantic people over it.
    That's because he hasn't been elected yet. If he is, I will definatley make quick work in coming up with a plan to have clients take capital gains on their non-qualified accounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    No snakey32, I wasn't mocking you at all. IMO, the vast majority of investment advisers posses sophisticated minds and are adept at strategic thinking. I merely stated by contrast that I'm just a lowly licensed and bonded tax preparer.

    As for some proof that Republicans seek to eliminate capital gains tax look no further than the Contract With America.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...7D&siteid=mktw

    As to the capital gains being treated as ordinary income for tax purposes, should capital gains taxes be eliminated, I'm amazed that a so-called investment adviser fails to understand the definition of income for tax purposes, which is THE MOST rudimentary of all investment considerations; i.e. How is this investment treated for tax purposes?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    No I wasn't mocking you snakey32. Eliminating the capital gains tax has long been a goal of the Republicans. It was stated so in the Contract With America and advocated by many Republicans since.

    What surprises me though is that an investment adviser would not understand the most rudimentary of all tax law. Eliminating the capital gains tax doesn't mean eliminating the reporting requirement. Thus investment banks and brokers still report capital gains on transactions, the gain is then ordinary income and taxed at the higher rate.

    I'm also surprised an investment adviser would advocate lowering the capital gains tax given our experience, especially in 2000 and 1929. Lowering capital gains rates only leads to wild speculation and there is absolutely no evidence that reducing capital gains rates spurs economic growth.

    Correct if I'm wrong but aren't investment advisers generally prudent people who advocate at best measured and acceptable risk?
    That's quite a forked tongue you have. And yes, you are quite wrong in many ways. May I make a suggestion though? Please re-read your left-wing, editorial from 2003 so that you can abosrb the meaning behind it. It blasts the GOP for wanting to eliminate capital gains taxes all together because there would no longer be tax dollars generated.

    Quote Originally Posted by left-wing editorial
    The economic impact of cutting the tax is minimal because people are basically going to swap assets," Murphy said. "As people unlock capital gains, you could actually push stock prices downward."

    The bait-and-switch might ultimately be far more sinister. After winning a capital-gains tax cut with the reduction in dividend taxes to 15 percent, the White House may well come back and argue that any dividend taxes are still unfair. In the end, it could win elimination of dividend taxes and a sharp cut in capital gains without any debate.
    Maybe next time you should be less abrasive. It makes you look like less of a jerk when it turns out you make false assumptions in reading the article you referenced. The entire article you quoted bashes the GOP for wanting to lower taxes. I think it's a much safer assumption that there would no longer be reporting required on investment accounts for tax purposes, rather than the GOP has been attempting to lower capital gains taxes in order to jack them up to ordinary income rates.

    I know you're just a lowly tax preparer, but you need to work on your reading comprehension. Thanks for playing.



    HW- Lesnar, Barry, Overeem
    LHW- HENDO!, Shogun, Mousasi
    MW- Sonnen, Stann, Leben
    WW- Condit, GSP, Ellenberger
    LW- Sherk, Guida, Volkmann

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis, MO / SIUe
    Posts
    35,041
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    It has already dropped $16 in the last 3 days. I say it drops another 3 - 4 tomorrow.. I know you like to hold the value of oil and the dollar as mutually exclusive, but like it or not, there are other factors. Concerns of price also can affect things.. otherwise everything would rise and drop at the price of the dollar, and there would be no need for the market at all. It would just be assumed and known that as the dollar goes up 10%, everything else drops 10%.
    I doubt it falls more than it has. But we'll see.

    How have gas prices near you changed in the last week?
    Member of the Owlluminati

    Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,113
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    I doubt it falls more than it has. But we'll see.

    How have gas prices near you changed in the last week?
    They haven't fallen here as much as the price of oil has, It's funny though... when oil is going up they seem to adjust their gas prices quickly.



    HW- Lesnar, Barry, Overeem
    LHW- HENDO!, Shogun, Mousasi
    MW- Sonnen, Stann, Leben
    WW- Condit, GSP, Ellenberger
    LW- Sherk, Guida, Volkmann

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gainesville, VA
    Posts
    5,551
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ari1013 View Post
    I doubt it falls more than it has. But we'll see.

    How have gas prices near you changed in the last week?
    They haven't.. because as we've discussed before, the price at the pump is speculated based on risk.

    Monday they buy oil at 130 a barrel
    Tuesday oil goes to 140.
    Wednesday you pay more for the oil they bought Monday.

    But if it drops per barrel.. you won't see it for a week.. just a way they can gouge us.. fast to rise, slow to fall. Unless oil takes a massive leap up today, we should see a drop by Sunday or Monday.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •