Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    Papelbon's .90 WHIP>Nathan's .93 WHIP>K-Rod's 1.22 WHIP

K-Rod is one of the most overated players in baseball.
    Because WHIP means everything O.K.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I smell my bat View Post
    Because WHIP means everything O.K.

I fail to see any arguement you post in response. So you don't like WHIP but you never say why or what you would use instead to prove me wrong. ERA means almost nothing for a relief pitcher. The purpose of a relief pitcher is to get guys out and get it done effectively and WHIP shows that. Maybe in the case of Nathan you can debate that he might be better than Papelbon because their WHIPs are so close but for K-Rod there is no arguement there, his WHIP is pretty garbage for "the greatest closer in baseball". I would love to hear why you believe Papelbon is overated, besides the fact that he plays for the Red Sox he is still one of the greatest closers in baseball, like it or not.

vCash
    Papelbon

vCash
    mo is 23-23 in save opportunities and has only given up only 1 run in save situations(against the red sox when he had the bases loaded with no outs and still got out of it with only 1 run scored)

vCash
    1.) Papelbon
    2.) Nathan
    3.) Rivera

vCash
    Rivera

vCash
    I have to say K-Rod.

And why do people care so much about ERA, WHIP, and Strikeout totals for closers? All that matters is that they complete the save. Some closers have to actually load the bases before they become effective. I think the most important stat should be save % , other stats seem like they should be secondary stats or only important for Starters..

vCash
    Eh, but that's never going to translate over a full season or throughout a career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    I have to say K-Rod.

And why do people care so much about ERA, WHIP, and Strikeout totals for closers? All that matters is that they complete the save. Some closers have to actually load the bases before they become effective. I think the most important stat should be save % , other stats seem like they should be secondary stats or only important for Starters..
    Well I would say WHIP is the most important. If you have a low WHIP then you obviously aren't blowing the lead every night because you are getting guys out effectively. K-Rod doesn't do that as well as others yet he still keeps a low ERA, which is surprising but I will take the closer who goes in and strikes out the side over a guy who walks the bases loaded and barely gets the side out, eventually that isn't going to happen every time out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantspwn View Post
    I have to say K-Rod.

vCash
    This year?

Nathan
    Mariano (best year in a while)
    K-Rod
    Paps (worrying rate of BS lately)

Va Beach by way of NJ by way of Staten Island
    vCash
    I've been a die hard baseball fan for over 30 years now and Rivera is the most dominant closer I have ever seen, in 10 years we'll see where these other guys are at but for now, with the game on the I trust no one more than Mo.
    WWW.INDUCTDONNIE.COM
    Click here show your support for Donnie Baseball

c'mon son!

vCash
    Can't go against Mariano Rivera after the season he's having so far, but outside him it's really close, IMO.

1.Rivera
    2.Lidge
    3.K-Rod
    4.Papelbon
    5.Nathan

Thank you BostonRichie for this wonderful sig!

vCash
    1) Rivera (Anyone that says differently, just wow).
    2) Papelbon
    3) Nathan

4) K-Rod
    5) Lidge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    Well I would say WHIP is the most important. If you have a low WHIP then you obviously aren't blowing the lead every night because you are getting guys out effectively. K-Rod doesn't do that as well as others yet he still keeps a low ERA, which is surprising but I will take the closer who goes in and strikes out the side over a guy who walks the bases loaded and barely gets the side out, eventually that isn't going to happen every time out.
    What about SLG% against?

if a guy is a lot lower in the BA - say .190, but giving up a .345 slugging, that's not as effective as a guy giving up a .230 BA with a .285 slugging - at least potentially.

Obviously saves %, BS, 1+ IP saves and the like are key, as is WHIP.

There is another stat - subjective all the way. Do you get nervous when your closer comes in or more confident?

Papelbon, Gossage in '78, Rivera most years, Tom Gordon his big year w/ Boston - all make you feel like you have the other guys by the short ones.

Slocumb, Montgomery, and those guys make you want to drink Pepto straight out of the bottle!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast