Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash
    ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Owen Nolan, the 36-year-old power forward who spent last season with the Calgary Flames, signed a two-year, $5.5 million deal with the Minnesota Wild on Sunday.

Owen Nolan

Nolan

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Nolan had 16 goals and 16 assists in 77 games for the Flames last season, his 16th in the NHL. He has 381 goals and 426 assists in 1,068 career regular-season games with Quebec, Colorado, San Jose, Toronto, Phoenix and Calgary.

"Owen Nolan is a true power winger who can score goals, play a physical brand, play either wing and take face-offs," Wild president Doug Risebrough said. "We are excited to add a player of his experience and versatility."

The Wild also signed goalie Barry Brust to a multiyear contract and right wing Jesse Schultz to a one-year deal.

The 24-year-old Brust was 24-16-3 with a 2.27 goals-against average last season for the Wild's top minor league affiliate, the Houston Aeros. The 25-year-old Schultz had 26 goals and 40 assists in 80 games last season for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL. He's a cousin of Wild defenseman Nick Schultz.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3475812
    Last edited by Sbank; 07-06-2008 at 10:30 PM.

vCash
    Looks like we are stocking up with mediocre players to make a more rounded team.

vCash
    OWEN NOLAN! I've always felt he had a great hockey name but he is old and we really haven't signed any impact players yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsoxin09 View Post
    OWEN NOLAN! I've always felt he had a great hockey name but he is old and we really haven't signed any impact players yet.
    I think the Wild are banking on the improved production of their in house contributers (Koivu, Pouliot, Bouchard and Sheppard) all of which should have more productive numbers with one more season under their belts and the added responsibilities with the departure of (Rolston and Demitra)

(And yes, I am speaking of Demitra as if he is already gone because, lets be honest, he is.)

I for one like what we have done this offseason. We are quicker on the blue line which will take pressure off our defensmen and allow them to step up and score more goals. Look for (Burns) to have a big season.

The newly acquired quickness should also compliment our already speedy players (Gaborik and Bouchard) and allow them to play more freely in the system.

The only concern I have is how this will effect our team toughness. I guess it's wait and see on that one. But in all honesty, I would rather have smart players that can't fight than dumb players who can.

Anyways, I'm not too worried about it. If things get out of control we can always send Boogard on the ice to regulate.
    Last edited by ALL TOGETHER; 07-07-2008 at 05:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL TOGETHER View Post
    I think the Wild are banking on the improved production of their in house contributers (Koivu, Pouliot, Bouchard and Sheppard) all of which should have more productive numbers with one more season under their belts and the added responsibilities with the departure of (Rolston and Demitra)

(And yes, I am speaking of Demitra as if he is already gone because, lets be honest, he is.)

I for one like what we have done this offseason. We are quicker on the blue line which will take pressure off our defensmen and allow them to step up and score more goals. Look for (Burns) to have a big season.

The newly acquired quickness should also compliment our already speedy players (Gaborik and Bouchard) and allow them to play more freely in the system.

The only concern I have is how this will effect our team toughness. I guess it's wait and see on that one. But in all honesty, I would rather have smart players that can't fight than dumb players who can.

Anyways, I'm not too worried about it. If things get out of control we can always send Boogard on the ice to regulate.
    I agree with you completely, minus the toughness part. Simon never added any toughness last year. Fedoruk hadn't been the same since he took the jaw breaker from Boogard... I think Voros' toughness will be missed though...but, Koivu, Burns, and Velliux are tough chippy players. I don't think you can look past them, and we still have Boogard who would lay my grandma out if she looked at him wrong. Nolan is a tough SOB as well, plays a very physical game. I really think we got better all the way around this offseason. We just need one of those Red Wings type of seasons where all their vets play like they should and all of the young guys look like future all stars.

vCash
    Does anyone consider Brunette an 'impact' player?

I think he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post

I think he is.
    I feel like he's way to far past him prime to consider him an "Impact" player, although he is a nice complement to our 1st line.

vCash
    I have liked Nolan for awhile now and always wanted to get him. Hope he can return to his great form again.

THE FELLOW SOUTH DAKOTA BOYS

props to rdwilliamson for the sig

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonwarne52 View Post

I think he is.
    Oh yeah for sure.

Brunette is like Koivu. He has many ways of making his presence felt.

He is also very crafty around the net, which is something we missed last year.

He's the best pickup this offseason.
    Last edited by ALL TOGETHER; 07-08-2008 at 02:08 AM.

vCash
    I think all the guys we got this offseason will have an impact.

It makes no sense using 1/5th of our payroll for one star player when we can fill MANY needs for the same amount.
    Last edited by ALL TOGETHER; 07-08-2008 at 02:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL TOGETHER View Post
    I think all the guys we got this offseason will have an impact.

It makes no sense using 1/5th of our payroll for one star player when we can fill MANY needs for the same amount.
    I am in complete agreement, you see way too many people whining about Rolston and his 30 goals...I keep telling them, it's just a number. For crying out loud, look at the blue liners and other forwards we added. I think we got better this offseason, but that's just me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoog35 View Post
    I am in complete agreement, you see way too many people whining about Rolston and his 30 goals...I keep telling them, it's just a number. For crying out loud, look at the blue liners and other forwards we added. I think we got better this offseason, but that's just me.
    It definently isn't just you.

Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows you need a well rounded team to be successful in the playoffs.

That's why the Avalanche were able to beat us last year with less high end talent.

vCash
    Brunette = Impact Player

First Round / Game 7 / 03'
    Last edited by The Lizard King; 07-11-2008 at 03:29 AM.

vCash
    badass