Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Blackhawks Goalie Situation

The Blackhawks goalie situation is one of intrigue for me right now. I am interested in hearing what you think about it. Here are my thoughts...

Tying up 12+ million in two goalies is crazy. Tallon is saying all the right things right now but I really think that he has a deal up his sleeves somewhere or atleast is working on one. We are already 2 million over the cap and Khabibulin would be ideal to get rid of...but will any team take him; an injury prone, aging goaltender? Here are my candidates of teams that could take Khabibulin at the start of the season.

Kings - Even though they are a young rebuilding team I can see Khabibulin going there for three reasons. 1. They need a goalie badly. They simply need someone to plug in right now to stop some pucks. 2. Khabibulin only has one year left on his contract so it won't hurt them in the future. 3. The league has something called a floor minimum on the cap and each team just hit it. Check out NHLNumbers.com, it has all the teams cap numbers and each players, its a great website. It shows the LA Kings as being at about 25 million in cap hit next year, which is approximately 8 million under the floor (The cap minimum next year is 32) which means that by the start of the season the Kings need to gain 8 million...I think a great chunk of that could come from Khabi and the Hawks would be in a great trade situation right there because the Kings need Khabi as much as we want to get rid of him. I don't see us getting any studs for him but a draft pick or two would do because that would enable us to go after another FA this year at about 3 million.

Lightning - The Lightning are my darkhorse for a few reasons. The new owners have said that they will spend to the cap this year and are currently about 10 million under it. Getting rid of Boyle was an odd move for me because they have so much offense and so little defense. They are supposedly working on an extension with goalie Mike Smith and have Olie the Goalie signed as well, but who knows what is going to happen with the rumored extension and it could easily not happen, leading them to trade for a Goalie who brought them the cup a few years back.

These are the only two teams I can see Khabi getting traded to. Some people say the Sens but they have Gerber and Auld. Some people have also tossed out the Oilers but they would have to find a way to shed Roloson. Boston also doesn't have the best goalie situation but they do not have enough cap room to take on Khabi.

I personally hope that Khabi gets traded and that Crawford can step up and play about 15 games this year as a backup. I think he can be a valuable back up. However, I havent gotten a chance to see Antti Niemi who is highly regarded.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few weeks, share your thoughts and ideas. Thanks

vCash
    i think your right, tallon has to have something up his sleeve. I dont see any way possible that we would end up keeping both. It's just crazy to have 2 goalies getting paid that much. I have to believe that when he signed huet to that deal, that he only did it because he had something on the table for bulin.

I'm just shocked that bulin is still on the team. if tallon did have something in the works to get rid of bulin when he signed huet, you would think that he would have pulled the trigger with it by now.

vCash
    ohhhhh, i deffinetly agree that Tallon has something up his sleeve. He will be dealing Nik (no doubt). But what will we be getting in return is the question?

Its funny that he hasnt pulled the trigger yet. Seeing as though there are still some good Free Agents out there.

vCash
    Anything we get in return will be a bonus. Although, he had a good stretch run last year, don't expect a long line of teams who would want an average aging goalie with a big salary.

I assume he will go to the Kings and that we will get a mid-level draft pick or a low level prospect in return. Once we dump him, we have 4 million dollars to spend on whatever free agents are left. I'd like to see this happen sooner than later so that we have some guys left to look at an sign. I still think we need 1 forward to be ready for next year. I like Aliu and Skille, but I still give them another year before they start playing the type of minutes I still think we need to fill with one more forward. The only way I see us not getting another forward would be if you play Buff with Hav and Lang and Sharp Kane and Toews. But then you lose firepower to your third line.

I also am going on record as saying that Beach won't be up with the club next year. A lot of you have him on your mock line-ups, but you gotta remember that Kane almost didn't even make it up his first year. They fully expected him to play a year out of the NHL. Toews waited a year and he was number 3 overall. The first year jump isn't an easy thing to do.

vCash
    I agree that anything we get will be a bonus, I do not expect anything more than a draft pick or two and it won't be a 1st round pick for sure. With most teams they hold the bargaining chip in that we have to get rid of Khabi to get under the cap, but we also hold one with the Kings because they have to get a guy like Khabi to get over the cap minimum.

I agree we need 1 forward but remember this, we will only have about 3 million once we get rid of Khabi because we will have to resign Crawford who is a RFA right now.
    We might have less depending on this guy Walker that we signed today, but I am familiar with him and I am guessing the blackhawks gave him a two-way contract so that shouldnt affect us.
    If we get another forward it won't be a top six guy, I just cant see it happening with the amount of money we have left.

I honestly think that Beach has a 50/50 shot at making the club this year. Playing him on a third line at 15 minutes a night will help him out and not hamper him. Also, something to remember is that Beach had top 10 skill going into the draft without a doubt, maybe even top 5 for forwards. The thing that made him drop was his question of character. He is definitely physically more ready to play in the NHL now than toews and kane were when they were drafted, and it doesn't seem like Beach wants to go to college so we will see what happens.

vCash
    Ya, i agree with both of you. A pick is actually good for Nik.

But I also think Havlat may be on his way out too. That than gives us more money to play with. A top 6 forward??

vCash
    But then if we get rid of Havlat then we would need two top 6 forwards.

vCash
    I'd like to trade Nik to Ottawa in exchange for Chris Neil and a draft pick. Eager as the only enforcer doesn't really spell scary for other teams.

vCash
    I really think that a deal to Ottawa for Chris Neil and a draft pick is not going to happen. # 1 Chris Neil is locked up at 1.2 million, which with all of the Blackhawks cap woes they do not need to trade a Goalie for 1.2 million on the fourth line who is going to play 6 - 8 minutes a night. #2 Gerber is locked up for 3.7 million next year and Auld for 1 million. A trade with Ottawa would likely have to have one of these guys coming back. As much as I would like to see the Blackhawks trade Khabi to the Sens (Or anyone for that matter) I just don't see them as a trade partner.
    Also, in regards to getting rid of Havlat. I used to be on that bandwagon of trading Havlat but right now he has about no trade value and is a valuable member of our team next year. It is a contract year for him and if he stays injury free he is much more valuable to us then in a trade. I used to say the same thing about Khabi until we signed Huet. If we signed a guy like Hossa I would say feel free to trade Havlat and get what you can. Also, trading Khabi frees up about .750 million more in contract (Khabi has 1 year of 6.750 mil left while Havlat has 1 year of 6 mil left) If we trade Havlat at this point we have much more of a gaping hole than if we trade Khabi.

vCash
    I really think LA is the only option. Not because they need a goalie or anything, but they literally have more cap room than cap spent. They have 27 million tied up and 28 million free.....That's unreal.

vCash
    L.A or B.O

vCash
    What does B.O stand for? Boston? If so...not going to happen, they have about no cap room left, hence why they coulnd't even go after Hossa who they were rumored to want.
    Also, in terms of LA having 28 million free...the biggest thing to remember is that while they are at about 25 - 27 million, they MUST hit 32 million to get the cap minumum just like everyone else has to get under 56 million which is the cap maximum.

There are some interesting articles about Crawford and also Comcast had a quick thing about him. Thing I don't get is how Tallon can keep saying Crawford is the goalie of our future...does Crawford really want to wait 5 years to get a chance to start over Huet?

vCash
    Guys...the minimum salary for next year $40.7MM and not $32MM so LA has a long way to get up to the salary floor.

So, LA would seem like the perfect destination for Habby. That being said, publicly Kings GM Dean Lombardi has stated that he likes their youngins Labarbera and Ersberg and has no desire to get Habby.

I think that the Kings were planning on spending some dough on Rob Blake or acquiring Dan Boyle which would've put them closer to the cap minimum. But with both of those guys down in SJ now, maybe he'll reconsider and grab Bulin now just to makes ends meet.

Lets hope so. I like the Huet/Crawford tandem and don't want to wait until next year to see it!

vCash
    Nice call Hoorock, I was going off of last years numbers.
    The lower limit also rose to $40.7 million, the minimum each of the 30 teams must spend on player salaries. Which is correct.
    LA is in trouble of missing this and they could use an overpaid goalie for one year who can make sure they don't get as embarrassed as they usually do.
    Can anyone find what the exact penalty is if a team does not reach $40.7 Million?

vCash
    yea but you have to look a little deeper though too. LA still needs two defensemen to fill out a top 6. they also have a bunch of FA forwards they need to sign as well, and one is ladislav nagy.

which BTW... i would love for us to trade bulin to open up some cap space and then sign Nagy to a 2-3 year deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast