Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Views on Gas, Oil, Energy

There are so many opinions on this topic and it is such a big issue for the election I thought we could put it in a thread to discuss Oil, Gas, Energy and economic effect. Drilll here arguments, nuclear discussions etc.

I got to thinking about this after listening to a Rush rant that was absolutely absurd. Someone asked about the 55 mph speed limit being able to help. He dismissed it since there is no "shortage of oil". He then went on to say how airlines couldn't slow their planes either since it would increase costs of labor for the flight crews, hurt the engineering factors by flying lower and creating more drag, thus actually using more gas. Nice argument rush!

Now being someone with an engineering degree and used to punching numbers and reading about this quite a bit, I couldn't stop laughing at this man's B.S. how does he claim to have any credibility at all. Not only would it benefit the airlines, but several have been doing it for quite some time, without being required to do so, purely to save money:

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...nes_go_sl.html

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Travel/Bus...ory?id=4767650

http://www.aviation.com/business/080...ly-slower.html

It saddens me to think that people respect this man's opinion when he blatantly misleads them with lies. He said he spoke with several of his friends in the "aviation industry" that all say slowing down does not help. How's that article from aviation.com look to ya Rush? I bet these are the same guys hired as scientists to disprove global warming that he talks to. Even when these lies are extensively researched, proven and put into practice. Now I know he is anti-regulation, fine, but these airlines are doing it themselves to save money. Get a clue Rush!

Now both candidates have platforms on this, and both have admitted that there is no short term solution. Feel free to post opinions. I know ari is very passionate on this one from an economic standpoint.

vCash
    mother****in drill in Alaska!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
    ok, that's one view.

I am really looking for someone to try and defend Rush's blatant lies and BS that he spewed today.

vCash
    Rush clearly has an axe to grind and an audience to appease

He is really full of it though so I pay no attention at all to what he says.

Funny how some listen to him and swear by what he says.......don't they have a name for those folks, like clones or Rushbots or something??

I had heard that southwest keeps the price low by buying huge amounts when the price goes down??

I wonder how many billions the govt is going to subsidize the airlines that can't keep afloat at the end of this year?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post

Funny how some listen to him and swear by what he says.......don't they have a name for those folks, like clones or Rushbots or something??

I had heard that southwest keeps the price low by buying huge amounts when the price goes down??

I wonder how many billions the govt is going to subsidize the airlines that can't keep afloat at the end of this year?
    That's all he is doing, preaching to his chior. A chior of mindless idiots, but sadly it made him rich.

Quote Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
    I agree. Pretty useless piece of land, otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I agree. Pretty useless piece of land, otherwise.
    I wouldn't say that--it's probably the most awesome place I've ever been, but there is a good amount of 'useless' land there

vCash
    Okay PHX-SoxFan, I'll defend Rush since that is what you want.

I heard a report within the past few days, maybe it was Hugh Hewitt IIRC, that the Canadians are exploring a mere 10 miles from Anwar. Can you say slant drilling, lol.

Besides Rush got one thing right, there is no oil shortage. We have more oil here than in Saudi Arabia. Ours is more expensive to get out and it's not the light sweet crude. But it can be processed into light sweet. The real issue is at what cost.

Well if people can't afford it they need to make more money. Get a raise or a second job, start a business.
    Last edited by moonman; 07-10-2008 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post

"ditto heads"
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post

I heard a report within the past few days, maybe it was Hugh Hewitt IIRC, that the Canadians are exploring a mere 10 miles from Anwar. Can you say slant drilling, lol.

Besides Rush got one thing right, there is no oil shortage. We have more oil here than in Saudi Arabia. Ours is more expensive to get out and it's not the light sweet crude. But it can be processed into light sweet. The real issue is at what cost.

Well if people can't afford it they need to make more money. Get a raise or a second job, start a business.
    Hugh Hewitt's not exactly a reputable source. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Rush cite each other.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Drill in Alaska, drill offshore, build refineries, get nuclear energy back online, and invest in the alternative energies that work, NOT this ethanol crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post

I should have clarified, I was looking for someone to defend his blatant lie about slowing cars and planes. I agree that there is no oil shortage, but he is trying to sell the supply side argument, when the demand is clearly the issue. To sum it all up, all conservatives are trying to sell the supply side, when demand is the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TxCubsFan View Post
    Drill in Alaska, drill offshore, build refineries, get nuclear energy back online, and invest in the alternative energies that work, NOT this ethanol crap.
    the offshore drilling is fine line, just ask McCain. he's trying to run a campaign in California while pushing for offshore drilling. That's not even an uphill battle, that's running up the down escalator. Have you seen the governator with him on this issue yet?