Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

It's only a mental recession!

Great news from the campaign trail.... it turns out, that even though we've lost hundreds of thousands of jobs, home are being foreclosed upon at a record pace and people are having to choose between putting food on the table, filling up the tank to get to work, and paying for prescription drugs- IT'S ALL IN OUR HEADS, AND WE SHOULD QUIT OUR *****IN!"

Senator John McCain's top economic advisor Phill Gramm-

"You've heard of mental depression; this is a mental recession... We have sort of become a nation of whiners...You just hear this constant whining, complaining about a loss of competitiveness, America in decline' despite a major export boom that is the primary reason that growth continues in the economy."

With a "mental" recession, and a "psychologically" advantageous energy policy, i think its about time John McCain and his staff step out of dream world and into the real one where Americans have real problems and want real solutions.

vCash
    The sad thing is this guy's 100% right.

We're one of the luckiest nations. Ever. It's not even funny how good we have it, even with the economic downturn.

But we're not in a recession. And we are a nation of whiners. So many Americans don't understand that you have to work hard for things, and people aren't just gonna hand you things. That's what's wrong with government handouts, they create whining populations.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    this guy is 100% right? How is teatering on the fine line between recession and stagnant economy good exactly? In this current situation we are fractions of a percentage point away from officially being labeled a recession, aka McCain's worst nightmare. Of course he's going to throw out this bs being his infinitely wise economic adviser/former lobbyist/former senator who pimped nice legislation for mortgage companies, it's their livelihood to sell this BS.

on the other hand, the statistics are speaking for themselves, and the trends aren't changing. The speculation will soon be fact with a few more months of jobloss, foreclosures, rising gas prices, rising food prices, inflation, reduction in gdp, etc. They don't make up these stats out of thin air, or imagine them, we wish these trends and stats were "mental" and not true.

vCash
    "we've become a nation of whiners"

this sounds like the type of soundbite that if it came from the other side, would be all over hannity and Rush.

I want this statement repeated over and over in the media for the next 4 months on par with how many times Hannity takes Michelle Obama's statements out of context along with the "clinging to guns and religion" statement that was spun way out of context.

Disputing economic trends and stats is humorous from this man and to play this card makes it even better.

vCash
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07...on-of-whiners/

Here's an article from foxnews on it. there's some great stuff in here:

Minutes later McCain disavowed the Gramm comments, saying, “We are experiencing enormous economic challenges as well as others. Phil Gramm does not speak for me. I speak for me. So I strongly disagree.”

Asked if Gramm might be in line for a job as treasury secretary, McCain joked: “I think Senator Gramm would be in serious consideration for ambassador to Belarus, although I am not sure that the citizens of Minsk would welcome that.”

just keep taking advice from this guy John. Then maybe if you win you can appoint him to a position he isn't qualified for, wait, where have I heard that scenario before?

vCash
    Well to their credit, a large portion of economic growth stems from expectations of the future. One way to boost the economy is to boost consumer confidence. There's nothing different between what McCain's crew is saying and what any other Republican presidential nominee has said any time there's been a recession. This is standard protocol.
    Member of the Owlluminati

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison
    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance: And a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives."
    2011 Knicks Salary Cap Information

vCash
    Maybe foreclosures wouldn't happen if idiots bought houses they could afford?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
    that was a reason for the first wave. Now foreclosures are happening because of resetting interest rates and people not being able to refi due to loss in home value. that is the second wave. The third which is also underway is people walking away from homes that have lost a lot of value and are better off with a credit hit as opposed to paying into a black whole of a mortgage with no equity in sight.

It sounds simple when you just blame a borrower, but this is much more complex and the finger should be heavily pointed at the lenders for not allowing refinancing/loan modification in most situations to avoid foreclosure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    that was a reason for the first wave. Now foreclosures are happening because of resetting interest rates and people not being able to refi due to loss in home value. that is the second wave. The third which is also underway is people walking away from homes that have lost a lot of value and are better off with a credit hit as opposed to paying into a black whole of a mortgage with no equity in sight.

It sounds simple when you just blame a borrower, but this is much more complex and the finger should be heavily pointed at the lenders for not allowing refinancing/loan modification in most situations to avoid foreclosure.
    Well all of that wouldn't matter if people paid off their mortgages, no?

vCash
    Some of these replies don't surprise me. As long they are doing good or not hurting, hey, everything is OK. It is those people problems.
    I have a problem when rich politicans downplay average american's pain. I bet you they don't count their change at the gas pump or know the price of bread. The republicans should adopt Mad magzine's mascot Alfred E. Newman motto " What me worry?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Some of these replies don't surprise me. As long they are doing good or not hurting, hey, everything is OK. It is those people problems.
    I have a problem when rich politicans downplay average american's pain. I bet you they don't count their change at the gas pump or know the price of bread. The republicans should adopt Mad magzine's mascot Alfred E. Newman motto " What me worry?"
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't like that

vCash
    and they all would have been able to do so if they weren't given bs loans sold as legitimate ways to build equity

vCash
    on par with how many times Hannity takes Michelle Obama's statements out of context along with the "clinging to guns and religion" statement that was spun way out of context.
    How were those comments taken out of context?

I have a problem when rich politicans downplay average american's pain.
    What about when they "up-play" that pain, and pretend to feel it as well?

I have a problem with politicians, period. Because most of them are not at all qualified to be commenting on what they are talking about. Yet, they get to actually make the decisions that affect it, because they are being voted in...by people who don't know what they're talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    and they all would have been able to do so if they weren't given bs loans sold as legitimate ways to build equity
    Honestly, they're ****ing stupid. If they actually understood ****, it wouldn't have happened.

Now yes, it's not fair that businesses said "sure you can afford this" without saying "if you don't eat or heat your house," but they're still stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    How were those comments taken out of context?
    I'd like to hear that too. It was pretty clear what he meant imo.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Im guessing the increased cost of basically everything from gas to groceries doesnt factor into that equation? Or people losing jobs? I know a guy that is currently trying to sell his home and his truck because he was just laid off from a company where he worked for +5 years making about $60k a year and now is working as a temp making $10/hour because thats all there is right now in this area. My sister went to a staffing agency about a week ago to apply for a job and she said that they told her they have people that have been waiting for 6-8 weeks for a job to come open.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast