Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

BAGHDAD - Iraq's national security adviser said Tuesday his country will not accept any security deal with the United States unless it contains specific dates for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces.

The comments by Mouwaffak al-Rubaie were the strongest yet by an Iraqi official about the deal now under negotiation with U.S. officials. They came a day after Iraq's prime minister first said publicly that he expects the pending troop deal with the United States to have some type of timetable for withdrawal.

President Bush has said he opposes a timetable. The White House said Monday it did not believe Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was proposing a rigid timeline for U.S. troop withdrawals.

U.S. officials had no immediate comment Tuesday on al-Rubaie's statement.

Al-Rubaie spoke to reporters after briefing Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf on the progress of the government's security efforts and the talks.

"Our stance in the negotiations underway with the American side will be strong ... We will not accept any memorandum of understanding that doesn't have specific dates to withdraw foreign forces from Iraq," al-Rubaie said.

He provided no details. But Ali al-Adeeb, a Shiite lawmaker and a prominent official in the prime minister's party, told The Associated Press that Iraq was linking the timetable proposal to the ongoing handover of various provinces to Iraqi control.

The Iraqi proposal stipulates that, once Iraqi forces have resumed security responsibility in all 18 of Iraq's provinces, U.S.-led forces would then withdraw from all cities in the country.

After that, the country's security situation would be reviewed every six months, for three to five years, to decide when U.S.-led troops would pull out entirely, al-Adeeb said.

So far, the United States has handed control of nine of 18 provinces to Iraqi officials.

"This is what the Iraqi people want, the parliament and other Iraqi leaders," said al-Adeeb.
    They are basically telling us to get out. If we dont what does that make us? Invaders? Either way its good to know that we have guys over there getting shot at by snipers and getting killed by landmines in a country where they are basically begging us to leave.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080708/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    They are basically telling us to get out. If we dont what does that make us? Invaders? Either way its good to know that we have guys over there getting shot at by snipers and getting killed by landmines in a country where they are basically begging us to leave.

I also think though steelcity that there comes a point in time where you need to force somebodies hand a little bit. Let's face facts: Neither George W. Bush or John McCain want the troops out of Iraq anytime soon. The Iraqis themselves know that US Troops have been there long enough and if Iraq is to truly become a democratic nation, then they need to do things themselves without US Troops being at every corner.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post

Yes, it does make us invaders. and it's not a matter of not appreciating the work of individual soldiers but more a matter of standing on their own to feet and being an independent nation. Quite a spin job going on in your head. Think about it this way, name one country that would openly welcome an occupying force for the last 6 years and look forward to an open ended occupation...... I'll give you as much time as you need. even countries in the worst situations would want to stand on their own two feet in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    Yes, it does make us invaders. and it's not a matter of not appreciating the work of individual soldiers but more a matter of standing on their own to feet and being an independent nation. Quite a spin job going on in your head. Think about it this way, name one country that would openly welcome an occupying force for the last 6 years and look forward to an open ended occupation...... I'll give you as much time as you need. even countries in the worst situations would want to stand on their own two feet in time.

South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

I am not sure why it is good to know we have people over there being shot at and blown up though.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

I am not sure why it is good to know we have people over there being shot at and blown up though.
    I said open ended. I realize that there are instances in which a change in regime is preferred, but none of those places want an open ended occupation. nice try though. I'm sure people would like to see Mugabe gone, but they also don't want US troops around for 10 years+ either. Look at it through their eyes. No one in this country wants an occupying force setting up shop here either.

vCash
    Call me a simple thinking man, but the majority of Americans want us out, Iraq's government and it's people want us out, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?

vCash
    Not open ended????

We have been in those three countries 50+ years after the fact

I am not sure how much more open ended it gets
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.

vCash
    Not open ended????

We have been in those three countries 50+ years after the fact

I am not sure how much more open ended it gets
    having bases and locations agreed to with a government is one thing, and occupying and patrolling is another. We also have bases in Italy, but we don't occupy it. These were agreed to bases that benefit the economies of their respective locations, that's why the countries allow it. American servicemen are living amongst the people in Vincenza and working on the base, not occupying the city, regulating, patrolling etc. If you can't see the difference, you either need to learn and experience more or are just being difficult.

The issue of a permanent base in Iraq is quite different considering the views of the region as opposed to Japan and Euro countries.

vCash
    Raider_Vet is right.

We are in Iraq on a U.N. mandate that expires at the end of this year. If we don't have an agreement with Iraq in place before 12/31/2008 we will be an occupying force on January 1, 2009 anyway. Geez, Bush/McCain can put us right up there with Hitler & Stalin and other barbarians who conquered and tortured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    having bases and locations agreed to with a government is one thing, and occupying and patrolling is another. We also have bases in Italy, but we don't occupy it. These were agreed to bases that benefit the economies of their respective locations, that's why the countries allow it. American servicemen are living amongst the people in Vincenza and working on the base, not occupying the city, regulating, patrolling etc. If you can't see the difference, you either need to learn and experience more or are just being difficult.

The issue of a permanent base in Iraq is quite different considering the views of the region as opposed to Japan and Euro countries.
    So we have bases but don't occupy them or???

I need to learn and experience what exactly?? I mean I only served in Iraq the first go around so I am sure I am way off base.

So the bases we have in Iraq right now are not agreed to or what??

You made a statement regarding bases in foreign countries and I rebutted that statement that is all really.

I wonder if those bases we have had in other countries were always just bases and not due to a need or an invite???

As far as having a base in Iraq I don't think it would be necessary

The one we have in Saud should be enough

My point was we still have bases in other places long after the conflict is over............don't you think that could happen in Iraq???
    Last edited by Randy West; 07-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Raider_Vet is right.

We are in Iraq on a U.N. mandate that expires at the end of this year. If we don't have an agreement with Iraq in place before 12/31/2008 we will be an occupying force on January 1, 2009 anyway. Geez, Bush/McCain can put us right up there with Hitler & Stalin and other barbarians who conquered and tortured.
    Thanks moonman. I am just a avarage blue collar joe thank thinks in a simple mannor sometimes. I't just pure logic. We are not wanted there by Americans, Iraq's people or government, and frankly the rest of the world. Time to leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Raider_Vet is right.

It is statement like this that shows you can never be taken very seriously

vCash
    ^^^^See that Raider_Vet? I agree with you and all of a sudden I can't be taken "very seriously."

14. 07-08-2008, 05:45 PM

vCash
    If the two of you can't figure out it was the last part of the statement I don't know what to tell you

vCash
    If the two of you can't figure out it was the last part of the statement I don't know what to tell you
    No I can understand what you are saying. I just think you are in denial about Gitmo, and 1,000,000 dead Iraqi's. We went there for Oil dude which is no better then what Stallin or Hittler did.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast