Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bush Admin Diplomat to Meet Iranian Nuclear Negotiator

So blenderboy, do you think they'll be enjoying some crumpets and talking about their feelings together?

US diplomat to meet Iranian nuclear negotiator this weekend

WASHINGTON: In a break with past Bush administration policy, a top U.S. diplomat will for the first time join colleagues from other world powers at a meeting with Iran's chief nuclear negotiator, The Associated Press has learned.

William Burns, America's third highest-ranking diplomat, will attend talks with the Iranian envoy, Saeed Jalili, in Switzerland on Saturday aimed at persuading Iran to halt activities that could lead to the development of atomic weapons, a senior U.S. official told the AP on Tuesday.

Official contacts between Iran and the United States are extremely rare and although Washington is part of a six-nation effort to get Iran to stop enriching and reprocessing uranium, the administration has shunned contacts with Tehran on the matter.

The senior U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of a formal announcement of Burns' plans expected on Wednesday, acknowledged a shift in the administration's approach but stressed that Burns would not meet Jalili separately and would not negotiate with him.
    International Herald Tribune
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    They shouldn't be talking the way Obama wants to. Talking in a "you're great and we're great let's treat you like you're sane and reasonable and able to make intelligent decision."
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Isn't this what you wanted Denbutsu?

vCash
    Yeah, but Bush did it.

If Bush cured cancer, DB would complain about the unemployed lab rats.
    "Compromise, hell! That's what has happened to us all down the line -- and that's the very cause of our woes. If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?"

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    ^Nah. It's not so much that. It's the change of position.

The worst thing you can do in this political climate, is change your position on something.

It's why Obama is catching a lot of heat on the Iraq stuff right now.

vCash
    Even though it's intelligent, Obama is getting heat for it. I wish Obama's position on Iraq, abortion, etc was semi-intelligent. I have a feeling he's just pandering, but it would be nice if he actually believed this stuff.

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blenderboy5 View Post
    They shouldn't be talking the way Obama wants to. Talking in a "you're great and we're great let's treat you like you're sane and reasonable and able to make intelligent decision."
    What in the world gives you any indication that Obama would do anything like that at all? Surely nothing he's said on the subject. All you're doing is projecting your dislike of him and regurgitating McCain talking points ("appeasement") that have no factual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Isn't this what you wanted Denbutsu?
    Did you see me saying this was a bad thing?

All I'm doing is pointing out the HYPOCRISY of the Republicans jumping all over Obama's case for expressing a willingness to do this, and then turning around and doing the exact same thing themselves.

Yes, gcoll, I support this move by the Bush adminstration, and I wish it was more indicative of their overall foreign policy being more diplomatically than militaristically oriented.

But it's not. It's an extraordinarily rare exception to their march - which also is McCain's march - towards starting yet another unneccesary war, this time with Iran.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Even though it's intelligent, Obama is getting heat for it. I wish Obama's position on Iraq, abortion, etc was semi-intelligent. I have a feeling he's just pandering, but it would be nice if he actually believed this stuff.
    The extent of the degree to which Obama has remained consistent on his issues compared to the degree to which McCain has changed his positions again and again is pretty much the same.

For you to suggest that Obama has less sincere conviction in his stances than McCain - who has done just absolute reversals on so many of his central issues - is just completely ludicrous.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Did you see me saying this was a bad thing?
    No.

All I'm doing is pointing out the HYPOCRISY of the Republicans jumping all over Obama's case for expressing a willingness to do this, and then turning around and doing the exact same thing themselves.
    Well. Pointing out hypocrisy in politics is like.........I don't have an analogy. But, it's basically pointing out something very obvious.

For you to suggest that Obama has less sincere conviction in his stances than McCain - who has done just absolute reversals on so many of his central issues - is just completely ludicrous.
    They're both flipping and flopping..in a similar fashion, actually.

Except we really don't have all that much info on Obama from 8 years ago, the way we do Mccain.

But. The way Obama is doing it, is much more organized, and overall is much smarter. He went left, to win the primary. Was very strong on his anti war stance....and now that he has the nomination, he's making a dash towards the center.

Mccain's is much more disorganized, but Mccain had more problems with who he had to appeal to. Especially with his own party, to get the nomination.

vCash
    once again obama has never said these things. this is more of the same spin and talking points to scare up votes. keep the fearmongering going.

How about you try actually quote the man every once in a while instead of paraphrasing and falsely interpreting?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    The extent of the degree to which Obama has remained consistent on his issues compared to the degree to which McCain has changed his positions again and again is pretty much the same.

I suggested no such thing, did I?

I can't stand McCain because I see him as nothing more than a liberal anxious to win the presidency so he switches issues. Kinda like John Kerry, but a certified war hero.

RIP Jesse Helms

vCash
    I pray to god that iran and the US will resolve this...ahmadinejad is such an idiot he is asking the US to destroy the country.

vCash
    I am pretty sure a US envoy has been present during the current and past talks as well.

I don't see anything new here actually, unless these are one on one US/Iran discussions. Which they are not

Hey we are going to send our #3 goofball instead of our #6 goofball

good luck
    Last edited by Randy West; 07-16-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    God I hate iran

vCash
    They're just nice people bullied by America, I don't understand why you hate such nice, peaceful people...

RIP Jesse Helms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast