Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Hurricanes to trade defenseman

Hurricanes to trade defenseman
    When Dennis Seidenberg signed a one-year contract Monday, the Hurricanes added another defenseman to their rapidly growing group on the blue line. Now they're looking to go the other direction. Seidenberg's $1.2 million contract -- a hefty raise from the $850,000 he made last season -- puts additional pressure on the Hurricanes to shed salary before training camp opens in September. While they remain well below the NHL's $56.7 million salary cap, they're above the $45 million payroll budget set by owner Peter Karmanos. "We'll still look to move a defenseman," general manager Jim Rutherford said Monday. "I would think in the near future, that would end up happening." The Canes have eight defensemen under contract, not counting minor-leaguers Tim Conboy or Casey Borer, both of whom could end up back in the NHL this season. With most of Carolina's defensemen either recently acquired -- Joe Corvo, Joni Pitkanen, Josef Melichar -- or signed to new contracts -- Seidenberg, Tim Gleason, Anton Babchuk -- that leaves Frantisek Kaberle and Niclas Wallin as the most likely trade options.

vCash
    I hope they get rid of Wallin... I am kind of ready to see him go. He had a nice run with the canes and his most memorable moment with the canes was when he scored on his own goal.

That was definately a first for him. Kaberle was pretty solid for us on "D" last season. They need to keep him and use Babchuk as reserve cuz I don't think he is ready to start just yet but maybe by mid-season...

what does everyone else think?
    2008: The Year of the Cub

Future of Carolina Tar Heels- Road to the Show
    Joshua Vitters, Madison Bumgarner, Rick Pocello, Fed-Ex,
    Jason Knapp, Derrik Gibson, Jerome Hoes, Seth Williams

I wish I was Bumblebee