Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Iraq insists on withdrawal timetable for US troops

BAGHDAD - Iraq's national security adviser said Tuesday his country will not accept any security deal with the United States unless it contains specific dates for the withdrawal of U.S.-led forces.

The comments by Mouwaffak al-Rubaie were the strongest yet by an Iraqi official about the deal now under negotiation with U.S. officials. They came a day after Iraq's prime minister first said publicly that he expects the pending troop deal with the United States to have some type of timetable for withdrawal.

President Bush has said he opposes a timetable. The White House said Monday it did not believe Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki was proposing a rigid timeline for U.S. troop withdrawals.

U.S. officials had no immediate comment Tuesday on al-Rubaie's statement.

Al-Rubaie spoke to reporters after briefing Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf on the progress of the government's security efforts and the talks.

"Our stance in the negotiations underway with the American side will be strong ... We will not accept any memorandum of understanding that doesn't have specific dates to withdraw foreign forces from Iraq," al-Rubaie said.

He provided no details. But Ali al-Adeeb, a Shiite lawmaker and a prominent official in the prime minister's party, told The Associated Press that Iraq was linking the timetable proposal to the ongoing handover of various provinces to Iraqi control.

The Iraqi proposal stipulates that, once Iraqi forces have resumed security responsibility in all 18 of Iraq's provinces, U.S.-led forces would then withdraw from all cities in the country.

After that, the country's security situation would be reviewed every six months, for three to five years, to decide when U.S.-led troops would pull out entirely, al-Adeeb said.

So far, the United States has handed control of nine of 18 provinces to Iraqi officials.

"This is what the Iraqi people want, the parliament and other Iraqi leaders," said al-Adeeb.
    They are basically telling us to get out. If we dont what does that make us? Invaders? Either way its good to know that we have guys over there getting shot at by snipers and getting killed by landmines in a country where they are basically begging us to leave.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080708/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    They are basically telling us to get out. If we dont what does that make us? Invaders? Either way its good to know that we have guys over there getting shot at by snipers and getting killed by landmines in a country where they are basically begging us to leave.

I also think though steelcity that there comes a point in time where you need to force somebodies hand a little bit. Let's face facts: Neither George W. Bush or John McCain want the troops out of Iraq anytime soon. The Iraqis themselves know that US Troops have been there long enough and if Iraq is to truly become a democratic nation, then they need to do things themselves without US Troops being at every corner.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post

Yes, it does make us invaders. and it's not a matter of not appreciating the work of individual soldiers but more a matter of standing on their own to feet and being an independent nation. Quite a spin job going on in your head. Think about it this way, name one country that would openly welcome an occupying force for the last 6 years and look forward to an open ended occupation...... I'll give you as much time as you need. even countries in the worst situations would want to stand on their own two feet in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PHX-SOXFAN View Post
    Yes, it does make us invaders. and it's not a matter of not appreciating the work of individual soldiers but more a matter of standing on their own to feet and being an independent nation. Quite a spin job going on in your head. Think about it this way, name one country that would openly welcome an occupying force for the last 6 years and look forward to an open ended occupation...... I'll give you as much time as you need. even countries in the worst situations would want to stand on their own two feet in time.

South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

I am not sure why it is good to know we have people over there being shot at and blown up though.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.
    -Barack "drone" Obama, 11/18/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

I am not sure why it is good to know we have people over there being shot at and blown up though.
    I said open ended. I realize that there are instances in which a change in regime is preferred, but none of those places want an open ended occupation. nice try though. I'm sure people would like to see Mugabe gone, but they also don't want US troops around for 10 years+ either. Look at it through their eyes. No one in this country wants an occupying force setting up shop here either.

vCash
    South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

Japan have a hostile N. Korea testing weapons in their shared water and China building a fleet. Germany don't have spend money own defense. South Korea has a crazed neighbor and China. These three nations can't be compared to Iraq because their needs are different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Japan have a hostile N. Korea testing weapons in their shared water and China building a fleet. Germany don't have spend money own defense. South Korea has a crazed neighbor and China. These three nations can't be compared to Iraq because their needs are different.

No neighbor is crazier than Iran seems to be right now.......refusing to stop enriching uranium when several nations including russia and china have asked them to stop
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government, owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.-Theodore Roosevelt

There's no country on Earth that would tolerate missiles raining down on its citizens from outside its borders.

vCash
    No neighbor is crazier than Iran seems to be right now.......refusing to stop enriching uranium when several nations including russia and china have asked them to stop
    We see Iran as crazy, because they want to stir crap up in the middle east against us. I don't think they are a major threat to Iran, besides they share the same brand of Islam as some of the Iraqis. If anything they want closer ties with the Iraqis. If Russia and China really wanted Iran to stop, that country would go cold turkey. What the superpowers said in public isn't always their true face. Iran is a thorn in the america's side. What upset america is a delight to China and Russia. Besides Iran got oil, so they will cut them some slack.
    As the only country to use nuclear weapons on another country, what right do we have in tell someone not to build a bomb?
    Last edited by WES445; 07-09-2008 at 02:30 AM.

vCash
    South Korea
    Germany
    Japan

As someone who lives in Japan, I can hereby inform you in good faith and with full confidence that Japan is not occupied by the United States.

As I understand it, South Korea and Germany aren't either, but hey, I've never been there, so what do I know?
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post

As someone who lives in Japan, I can hereby inform you in good faith and with full confidence that Japan is not occupied by the United States.

As I understand it, South Korea and Germany aren't either, but hey, I've never been there, so what do I know?
    Sad

Japan Germany and S.Korea were all occupied by troops during wartime

And we still have large bases and presence in all those countries 50+ years later

So while it may not be called occupation at this point at one point it was

The point being if it can happen in those places it can happen in Iraq

vCash
    Sad

Japan Germany and S.Korea were all occupied by troops during wartime

And we still have large bases and presence in all those countries 50+ years later

So while it may not be called occupation at this point at one point it was

The point being if it can happen in those places it can happen in Iraq
    You need to get yourself a good dictionary and look up the word "occupation", man.

The Japanese constitution was signed on November 3rd, 1946. Obviously, this was after they had been defeated and surrendered. The military was HERE in Japan but it wasn't an OCCUPYING force because at that point we were working WITH and not AGAINST the civilian government and the population of the country, in order to help them rebuild. And since we'd seen to it that the buildup of a domestic military would be unconstitutional in Japan, the bases we established here were not only to expand our security in Asia but to protect Japan as well. (I just went to my friend's place at a residential base last week. To this day Japan foots the bill for maintaining the cost of living of U.S. forces and their families here. We don't pay them rent for using their land; they pay us to keep them safe). And in fact, we never occupied any of the four main islands of Japan (Honshu, Kyushu, Shikoku and Hokkaido). The only territories which may have been considered "occupied" by the U.S. during the war were some of the Okinawan and other South Pacific islands that Japan had laid claim to as their empire expanded.

We never were really an occupying force in South Korea either, as we were there at the invitation of the South Korean regime which was seeking to defend itself against North Korean attacks after Seoul fell. And like in Japan, once the conflict had ended, the role of the U.S. in South Korea was to help rebuild, and increase security for both S. Korea and the U.S. by establishing bases there.

Germany was more complicated, of course, due to the slicing and dicing of the country after the war, but again, after it was all said and done (and most specifically after the U.S. had gone far in gaining the trust of the West Germans with the Berlin Airlift), we were there on friendly, not hostile terms, and thus not an occupying force.

Now, in Iraq, not even the government we more or less installed there wants us around anymore, let alone the vast majority of the citizens. Sure, a lot of people fear what will happen if we pull out in too hasty a manner, but they also believe that our presence in the greatest source of instability there, and it's pretty damn close to nobody who wants us to be there long term. So we are there against the will of the people and if we stay there much longer we will be there against the will of the government as well. We are truly an occupying force.

So please, don't try to portray me as not knowing what I'm talking about with your little "sad" comment, when it's you who didn't understand what I meant in the first place:

We never occupied Japan.

We never occupied South Korea.

And from Germany's surrender in WWII onward, we never occupied Germany, either.

But we are, most definitely, an unwelcome occupying force in Iraq.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Call me a simple thinking man, but the majority of Americans want us out, Iraq's government and it's people want us out, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?

vCash
    Raider_Vet is right.

We are in Iraq on a U.N. mandate that expires at the end of this year. If we don't have an agreement with Iraq in place before 12/31/2008 we will be an occupying force on January 1, 2009 anyway. Geez, Bush/McCain can put us right up there with Hitler & Stalin and other barbarians who conquered and tortured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Raider_Vet is right.

We are in Iraq on a U.N. mandate that expires at the end of this year. If we don't have an agreement with Iraq in place before 12/31/2008 we will be an occupying force on January 1, 2009 anyway. Geez, Bush/McCain can put us right up there with Hitler & Stalin and other barbarians who conquered and tortured.
    Thanks moonman. I am just a avarage blue collar joe thank thinks in a simple mannor sometimes. I't just pure logic. We are not wanted there by Americans, Iraq's people or government, and frankly the rest of the world. Time to leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moonman View Post
    Raider_Vet is right.

It is statement like this that shows you can never be taken very seriously

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast